Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Mehserle sentenced to.... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mehserle sentenced to....
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2 years with credit for time served....Gun enhancement thrown out. here we go, oaktown.

quote:
A judge sentenced former BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle today to the minimum term of two years in state prison for fatally shooting unarmed train rider Oscar Grant during a video-recorded arrest in Oakland on Jan. 1, 2009.

A jury in Los Angeles County, where the trial was moved, found Mehserle guilty of involuntary manslaughter in July, acquitting him of the more serious charges of murder and voluntary manslaughter. Mehserle testified that he killed Grant accidentally, after mistaking his service pistol and his Taser.

The verdict meant that jurors concluded that Mehserle, 28, did not intend to kill Grant, 22, when he shot him in the back at Fruitvale Station, but acted negligently and took his life unlawfully.

The jury also found that Mehserle, a Napa County resident, had used a gun during the crime. However, Judge Robert Perry threw out the gun conviction today, saying it was not supported by the evidence, and gave Mehserle two years for the involuntary manslaughter conviction, the shortest term possible.

The judge said he believed Mehserle when he testified during the trial that the shooting had been an accident.

With credit for time he has already served behind bars, Mehserle would be eligible for release in about seven months.

The judge's decision infuriated members of Grant's family, some of whom left the downtown Los Angeles courtroom in tears. Grant's mother, Wanda Johnson, and Sophina Mesa, the mother of Grant's 6-year-old daughter, stalked out before Perry finished his remarks.

John Burris, an attorney for Grant's family, said at a news conference afterward that the message to African Americans in the Mehserle case is that "your life ... can be taken from you with no just cause and no price to pay." Mehserle is white, while Grant was black.

Cephus Johnson, an uncle of Grant's, said angrily, "I knew what the judge was going to say even before he said it. This whole thing was argued before we got here today."

Mehserle, wearing an orange jail suit and his hands manacled, showed no reaction to the sentence. Some of his relatives in the gallery cried.

In remarks to the court before sentencing, Mehserle said, "I did not become an officer to take a life, but because it gave me the opportunity to protect and save lives. I pray the public can understand that police officers are also human."

He added, "I am deeply sorry. I am. ... Nothing I can ever do will heal the wound I have created."

In his sentencing remarks, Perry made it plain that he saw the case more in the light of how the defense had portrayed it than from the prosecution's point of view.

He said Grant was resisting BART police after being detained at the Fruitvale Station in Oakland for allegedly fighting on a train. The judge said that when he moved to arrest Grant, Mehserle clearly intended to grab his Taser shock weapon instead of his gun.

Testimony during the trial showed that Mehserle had announced he was going to use the Taser, the judge noted. He quoted the testimony of one of Grant's friends, who said that after Mehserle fired a single shot into Grant's back, he said, "Oh s-, oh s-, I shot him."

"Mehserle's muscle memory took over in this moment of great danger and stress," Perry said. "No reasonable trier of fact could have concluded that Mehserle intentionally fired his gun."

Mehserle's possible sentence for involuntary manslaughter was two, three or four years, plus three, four or 10 years for the gun enhancement. The defense pushed for Mehserle's release on probation, which state law allows in involuntary manslaughter cases that are considered unusual.

The two sides had disagreed on what the jury signaled with its verdict. The defense said jurors showed they believed Mehserle's Taser story when they rejected murder and voluntary manslaughter, both of which require an intent to kill.

Prosecutors disagreed. They said jurors had found that Mehserle did not intend to kill Grant, but that he had meant to shoot him. The gun enhancement, prosecutors noted, required the panel to find that Mehserle had fired a gun on purpose.

Defense attorneys believe the jury misapplied the gun enhancement after it was poorly explained to them.

During trial, prosecutor David Stein said Mehserle had "lost all control" of his emotions before the shooting. The defense said he had made a mistake under pressure and cast blame on poor training at BART - particularly on the agency's Taser training, which Mehserle received a month before the shooting - and on the character of Grant, who had spent time in prison.

Grant had been detained at about 2 a.m. that New Year's Day, along with four friends, for fighting on a Dublin-Pleasanton train. Within minutes, Mehserle's then-colleague on the BART force, Anthony Pirone, reported that Grant had resisted him and ordered his arrest. Stein argued that the arrest itself was unlawful because Grant had cooperated.

Mehserle then moved to handcuff Grant as he lay on his chest, but struggled to pull back the Hayward man's right arm before standing up and pulling out his pistol.

Taking the stand near the end of the trial, Mehserle testified that he had decided to use his Taser because he saw Grant put his right hand in his pants pocket and believed he might be reaching for a gun.

Mehserle said he had accidentally pulled out his pistol and fired before realizing he had grabbed the wrong weapon.

Mehserle's shooting of Grant was witnessed by scores of New Year's revelers, several of whom recorded it on cell-phone cameras.

The trial was moved to Los Angeles in an effort to find impartial jurors. In the Bay Area, many community leaders, activists and others saw the shooting as a window into a larger problem of police officers abusing people of color with little accountability.

Today's sentencing "will have a detrimental impact on the relationship between the police and the African American community," said Burris, the Grant family attorney. "It only says there is no bridge here."

The sentencing is not the final word on Grant's death. The U.S. Justice Department has said that its civil rights division, along with the U.S. attorney's office and the FBI, will investigate the shooting "to determine whether the evidence warrants federal prosecution."

Pirone and his partner the night of the shooting, Marysol Domenici, were fired earlier this year by BART - Pirone for his actions on the train platform and Domenici for the way she reported the incident to investigators. Their appeals are pending.

BART agreed in January to pay $1.5 million in a civil settlement to Grant's daughter, Tatiana Grant. But Grant's mother, along with several of his friends who were with him when he was shot, still have pending lawsuits that may go to trial.

[ November 05, 2010, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: fredfifty ]

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good for him he was doing his job an made a mistake.if mr.grant had did what he was told to do he would still be here
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:
good for him he was doing his job an made a mistake.if mr.grant had did what he was told to do he would still be here

yeah,I agree it was a mistake on Mehserle's part...shit bag or not, you can't put blame onto Oscar Grant for getting shot in the back while cuffed on the ground.

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"WE WON!!! Wait, WTF did we win?" Chris Rock after the OJ case, lol.

As usual people will be split. Mehserle's supporters will think it's excessive, and Oscar's supporters will think it's a travesty of justice.

Given who these two people were, there is a VERY deep line drawn in the sand that people easily identify with one way or another.

I hope it's over and that we all learned something valuable from it.

- Adequate police training is crucial
- Don't start fights and defy police. The "scene" is not the place to plead your case.
- People will be blinded to the facts depending on the side of the fense they identify with.

The split on this topic has been extremely eye opening for me. Reminds me a lot of the OJ case.

[ November 05, 2010, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
macthizzle
¯
Member # 3492

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for macthizzle  Ford pictures for macthizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I JUST THINK THE WHOLE JUSTICE SYSTEM IS FUCKED UP. I THINK 5-9 YEARS IS FAIR. 2 YEARS IS GETTING OFF THE HOOK TOO EASY.DRUG CONVICTIONS GET MORE TIME THAN MURDER [Roll Eyes] . BE PREPARED FOR RIOTS.

--------------------
"FUCK U PAY ME"

Posts: 992 | From: REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by macthizzle:
BE PREPARED FOR RIOTS.

For an acquittal yes. I don't anticipate anything major.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Nastysvt
¯
Member # 6431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nastysvt  Ford pictures for Nastysvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The whole sitution is fucked all around..Im tired of peoples comments on both sides, saying "I'm happy! all the prayers seem to have worked cuz Mehserle gets to go home!!! it's a good day!!!" and the others saying "No respect that jus sh0ws u. U gets n0 respect. To them u r n0t equal. God says we equal. i d0nt remember GOd giving any man a badge and sayn u are m0re SuperiOr thann Mee! NO Swine, Pig, Or Hog will ever dictate wat i d0." Its bullshit on both sides. I do believe he didnt intend to kill him, but he shouldnt have even tased him in that situation with his back turned. Wheather it was an accident or not..he took a life, and should recieve more than 14 months imo. Sorry, but if I accidently killed someone, Im not getting that sentence. That still doesnt mean the Justice system is currupt and all police are bad. I jus think the sentence could have been a little longer.

--------------------
Built 98 Cobra
Built C6 Z06
Daily TBSS

Posts: 2575 | From: Valley to the Bay | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its sad, justice is so misguided these days.

This song says it all. And this verdict proves why it is timeless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQU4torUz-Q

But think about it. Plaxico Burress shot himself and got more time. Sad.

2slow2go
¯
Member # 9159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2slow2go  Ford pictures for 2slow2go  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do I think 2 years is justice for being and idiot.... yes. He fucked up.

--------------------
-2004 Cobra ¿ur scared?

highsidn stangs

phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is a real delicate issue to debate people have there minds already set.
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Back and forth tug-o-war, no winners in this case ... like everything else, you can't please everyone. But no matter how you feel either way, let's not forget all the lessons learned in this tragic event.
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very, very disappointing

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can everyone just shut the fuck up and stop with the racial cards?? It's 2010 not 1934.... Slavery was abolished a long time ago. Theres racism everywhere, towards ALL walks of life. It's a fact. This is a cut n dry case of an honest mistake. If you think otherwise, please refer back to the first sentence.

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Its sad, justice is so misguided these days.

This song says it all. And this verdict proves why it is timeless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQU4torUz-Q

But think about it. Plaxico Burress shot himself and got more time. Sad.

^ he shot himself with an illegally con firearm..... That's why he got time.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well one good thing is life will do life. And he wont get very far in life. He will wear this scarlet letter forever. I wont be surprised if he ends up killing himself or getting killed. Only he and God knew his true intentions. And while I am disappointed in this verdict. It does not shock me. And just goes to show that we have a black president but we have so far to go on so many planes. But like the late great Sam Cooke said, "A Change Gonna Come".
89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say who gives a shit.. The fam and everyone else made this shit about race.. The same people mad now wouldn't care one bit if it had been a white guy who got shot, and I think if it was a black cop and a white kid who got shot u wouldn't see Dublin/w.c/ an other white dominant cities rioting or even making it into the big deal it now is. I hope now that there has been a sentencing that within a week everyone will stop talking about it.
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by 89point.:
I say who gives a shit.. The fam and everyone else made this shit about race.. The same people mad now wouldn't care one bit if it had been a white guy who got shot, and I think if it was a black cop and a white kid who got shot u wouldn't see Dublin/w.c/ an other white dominant cities rioting or even making it into the big deal it now is. I hope now that there has been a sentencing that within a week everyone will stop talking about it.

Irony at its finest. On one hand you speak about the misplaced race card. Then you pull it in a imaginary scenario....lol. Classic.

But I to am glad it is over.

Actually the best justice for me would be to just give him 4 months in Quentin or Pelican on the charge no credit for time served and do not allow him to PC up. Let Darwinism be the judge.

[ November 05, 2010, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Well one good thing is life will do life. And he wont get very far in life. He will wear this scarlet letter forever. I wont be surprised if he ends up killing himself or getting killed. Only he and God knew his true intentions. And while I am disappointed in this verdict. It does not shock me. And just goes to show that we have a black president but we have so far to go on so many planes. But like the late great Sam Cooke said, "A Change Gonna Come".

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA!!!!!

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
U can call it irony or whatever u want but I call it the truth, this whole trial was not over a young man losing his life not being able to be in his daughters life or do anything great possible with his life.. NOPE.. It's a white honkey cop came along and had a bad day and decided to shoot this guy for fun and cause he was black blah blah blah.. Spin it anyway u want but yes it was turned into a race thing and for u n8 so I come off a lil more clear to u if all the parties were orange it woulda never been a big deal or public or craziness like it is now..
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by 89point.:
U can call it irony or whatever u want but I call it the truth, this whole trial was not over a young man losing his life not being able to be in his daughters life or do anything great possible with his life.. NOPE.. It's a white honkey cop came along and had a bad day and decided to shoot this guy for fun and cause he was black blah blah blah.. Spin it anyway u want but yes it was turned into a race thing and for u n8 so I come off a lil more clear to u if all the parties were orange it woulda never been a big deal or public or craziness like it is now..

I have no issue with your comment. I just thought it was funny how you managed to use the race card to support your point about misplaced use of the race card. One thing I have come to understand about people is once they have put on their rose colored glasses there is no taking them off. Your opinion is well noted [Big Grin]
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
....Reminds me a lot of the OJ case.

I remember this vividly. I actually fought with a cousin of mine because I felt strongly OJ did that shit and got away with murder.
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
who fucken cares! worry about your god damn selfs [patriot] im out its friday and ima about to get my drink on!

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

I don't know what that red glasses comment means, never heard it and I can see how your looking at what I'm saying.. Either way I'm extremely bad at trying to explain shit soo I'll put it this way.. Race was an issue in this case and I'm sure that if everyone in the world wasn't racist shit would run a whole lot smoothly, I'm not racist I don't care what color u are or aren't when u shoot someone but this shit is beat to death lol and oj was guilty lol
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
Can everyone just shut the fuck up and stop with the racial cards?? It's 2010 not 1934.... Slavery was abolished a long time ago. Theres racism everywhere, towards ALL walks of life. It's a fact. This is a cut n dry case of an honest mistake. If you think otherwise, please refer back to the first sentence.

[worship]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by macthizzle:
I JUST THINK THE WHOLE JUSTICE SYSTEM IS FUCKED UP. I THINK 5-9 YEARS IS FAIR. 2 YEARS IS GETTING OFF THE HOOK TOO EASY.DRUG CONVICTIONS GET MORE TIME THAN MURDER [Roll Eyes] . BE PREPARED FOR RIOTS.

maybe if he murder someone then yeah 2 years would be fucked up.. but since he didn't.. he got what he should of.. [patriot]

[ November 05, 2010, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com