Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Tow yard/Release of Liability question??? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tow yard/Release of Liability question???
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
The guy has documented proof you signed over the car to him and he paid you cash. The car is legally his. Don't touch it unless you can get the tow yard to file lien sale paperwork and give you legal proof you own the car. Only that will void out his legal interest in the car. If you buy it, store it, and get a new title he can still take his proof of ownership to court and show you did shady business to get the car back. He will win in court and you will have to forefit the car and possibly face criminal charges. DMV investigations will be all up in your ass. Wait till it goes up for lien sale, contest it, then buy it back at that time. Work a deal with the tow company now so that you can get the car for cheap later.

As much as I would like to get the car back to DD again, I am more concerned with the sh#t going to collections. I have been researching a bunch online tonight, & it will MOST DEFINITELY go into collections & affect my credit score, which I can't afford.

You & I both know that there is no such thing as working out a deal with a tow yard whatsoever. They are all about making money, its either pay the fee's now & get the car out, or watch them skyrocket... I definitely don't want to do anything criminal... I think i need to talk to a lawyer asap...

Yeah the new owner has proof that he bought the car, BUT he is locked up until january & the car will be gone way before then. Also, on the title, we put down that he only paid $500 for the car, not that it really matters...

[ October 28, 2010, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

Josef Mengele
¯
Member # 10402

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Josef Mengele  Ford pictures for Josef Mengele    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the car back and lien sale it yourself!
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will get you the info you need tomorrow. Make sure you answer the phone when you see the 657-xxxx number from my job call.

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I will get you the info you need tomorrow. Make sure you answer the phone when you see the 657-xxxx number from my job call.

Thanks T, will do. I did file the release online today, & I remembered the guys name so I filled that portion in, just didn't know his address...

I actually went to DMV today & got a copy of the reg which is still in my name, so the dude has never attempted to register it yet. The lady at the counter said I could file for a duplicate title, & that it would void his title???

[ October 28, 2010, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have his release info? Most likely this guy isnt going to have the money, after the charges he facing, to get the car out. Go by his house and see if any family can get intouch with the guy. Offer him a few hundred for the paperwork and go get your car out. You wouldnt be in it mmuch at all, that is if you do it soon. CHP is up to $60.00 a day for OUTSIDE stroage.
Posts: 22467 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
Do you have his release info? Most likely this guy isnt going to have the money, after the charges he facing, to get the car out. Go by his house and see if any family can get intouch with the guy. Offer him a few hundred for the paperwork and go get your car out. You wouldnt be in it mmuch at all, that is if you do it soon. CHP is up to $60.00 a day for OUTSIDE stroage.

Unfortunately since I lost the form we filled out at the time of the sale, I don't have his phone number or his address, but I know he is in Sac county jail until january. I guarantee dude will NOT have the money to get the car out.... Its at a tow yard that charges $50 per day. Its up to $410 as of 10/28/10...

--------------------

Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get the car back.. if he never bothers you again.. you just came up..if he hits you up make him pay..and make sure to keep paper work showing how much you payed to get it out..i would also put the car back in my name.. if the dvm said it will make his pink slip void then it will make it void.. having the title back in your hand will give you leverage to get the tow money from the guy (the big if) he ever shows up.
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on a side note..i seen on speed tv or something...these cars will be collector cars soon.. people that grew up in that era will be looking for clean gti,jettas..the guy mentioned if you have one might be a good idea to hold on to it.
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
90.5.0GT
¯
Member # 8843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90.5.0GT  Ford pictures for 90.5.0GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He MIGHT be that type of dude to do that, but he found me on a VW forum, so he is somewhat of an "enthusiast". Usually those type of cats that ride dirty like that wouldn't pay $2500 for an 86 Jetta, they usually buy $500-$700 beaters I would think? [/QB][/QUOTE]

If he found you on the VW forum, just pm him and let him know wassup, why you took the car out to protect yourself from the tow yard sending you to collection since the car wasn't registered under the new owner and if he wants the car back have him hit you up. If he is somewhat of a VW "enthusiast" he'll probably go back onto the forum and post his situtation. I'd get the car out... Good luck!

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go get car out hold on to it for awhile. If he doesn't come for it he losses out. If he does make him pay the fees.
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go get car out hold on to it for awhile. If he doesn't come for it he losses out. If he does make him pay the fees.
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think they ccan send you to collections... had a similar problem,they kept sending me notices and I called em back told em I never signed any contract asking for their services and to stop sending me letters...never heard back from em...all they want is you to show up and hand over the pink slip don't let em push you around
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:
The guy has documented proof you signed over the car to him and he paid you cash. The car is legally his. Don't touch it unless you can get the tow yard to file lien sale paperwork and give you legal proof you own the car. Only that will void out his legal interest in the car. If you buy it, store it, and get a new title he can still take his proof of ownership to court and show you did shady business to get the car back. He will win in court and you will have to forefit the car and possibly face criminal charges. DMV investigations will be all up in your ass. Wait till it goes up for lien sale, contest it, then buy it back at that time. Work a deal with the tow company now so that you can get the car for cheap later.

As much as I would like to get the car back to DD again, I am more concerned with the sh#t going to collections. I have been researching a bunch online tonight, & it will MOST DEFINITELY go into collections & affect my credit score, which I can't afford.

You & I both know that there is no such thing as working out a deal with a tow yard whatsoever. They are all about making money, its either pay the fee's now & get the car out, or watch them skyrocket... I definitely don't want to do anything criminal... I think i need to talk to a lawyer asap...

Yeah the new owner has proof that he bought the car, BUT he is locked up until january & the car will be gone way before then. Also, on the title, we put down that he only paid $500 for the car, not that it really matters...

Hell, If you are worried about him coming after you. I'll give you the cash to get the car and then you can give it to me [Big Grin]

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn bro you f**ked up, dont get the car back why do you care what happens to it? its not your car. You can prove that you sold it sorry man just let it go.... its no longer your problem

[ October 28, 2010, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: ZincYellowGt281 ]

--------------------
2015 focus st2
2011 Gt 5.0
04 ZY fobra sold

Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the car back and if he hits you back up, give him the car for the same amount you paid to get it back, both ways you're winning because you won't get sent to collections and you can DD the car for the time being, or forever if he doesn't show up.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DUSTIN, real talk...ive been through this both ways a FEW times..still have the vehicles that were not worth getting out on my credit.$2300+ each one. do you want that on ur credit? NO! go get the car asap and sell it again! his release date now is 2/2011 so you will have it long gone by then and it will already be in the new owners name, go to DMV with the new owner if you please! The release you put in right now does not mean SHIT, the car was towed before you put in the release so now you are responsible for ATLEAST the fees from when it was towed till the date you put in the release. if you do not go get this car mark my words, you will be getting a bill for 400-2500 dollars no matter what!

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

cobra_302_stang
¯
Member # 7257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra_302_stang  Ford pictures for cobra_302_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just get the car out and sell it again.

--------------------
~HighSpeed Motorsports~

Posts: 416 | From: Redwood city | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Thanks for all the advice guys. His wife actually contacted me today, & she will be getting it from the tow yard tomorrow. I also had DMV send my release of liability backdated as of 9/21/2010 over to the tow yard, so I am free & clear as of now...

I DID want the car back, but oh well, at least I don't owe on it now...

--------------------

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I was going follow advice, I would 110% go with 50DEEPS.
You sold the car and received payment and in return signed the legal title over to him, The car is HIS property regardless of whether he registered or not.
You most definately could face legal action (theft of motor vehicle)if he decided to pursue it.

As 50DEEP has suggested, talk to the tow yard and let them know your interest in the vehicle and would be interested in purchasing it as soon as the 30 days is up (they need 30 days in order to file the lien) Once the tow yard lein sales it (Vehicle will be legally THEIRS)and you can work a deal on price then the vehicle can be YOURS legally. No way around it, gotta go with the system.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Musttanguy:
You sold the car and received payment and in return signed the legal title over to him, The car is HIS property regardless of whether he registered or not.
You most definately could face legal action (theft of motor vehicle)if he decided to pursue it.

As 50DEEP has suggested, talk to the tow yard and let them know your interest in the vehicle and would be interested in purchasing it as soon as the 30 days is up (they need 30 days in order to file the lien) Once the tow yard lein sales it (Vehicle will be legally THEIRS)and you can work a deal on price then the vehicle can be YOURS legally. No way around it, gotta go with the system.

Thanks for your reply. 50 Deep actually helped me out tremendously with some info he gave me... check my reply 1 post above yours, I am now free & clear & no longer responsible for the car....

--------------------

Josef Mengele
¯
Member # 10402

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Josef Mengele  Ford pictures for Josef Mengele    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good, keep the drama his.
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This happened to me a long time ago when I sold an 81 Cutlass. I never sent in the release, and it got impounded. I was informed it was in impount and I never looked into it, just ignored the mail.
Nothing bad ever happened, I still have good credit.

No collections non sense

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:
Originally posted by Musttanguy:

Thanks for your reply. 50 Deep actually helped me out tremendously with some info he gave me... check my reply 1 post above yours, I am now free & clear & no longer responsible for the car....
Glad it all worked out [patriot]
Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com