Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Calling all IT folks! Wireless routers for home?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling all IT folks! Wireless routers for home?
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm sick of buying routers every 1-2 years. No matter what the brand, Netgear, Linksys, D-link, they all crap out on you eventually. You end up having to power cycle the router all the time otherwise you have issues with computers connecting with the wireless AP.

Any of you guys ever used a Buffalo device before? Heard good things about them. I want something that will actually last. I don't mind paying for a new router when there is an actual purpose in upgrading it. Or is there something else out there that you've tried and works well?

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn, I'm having the exact same problem right now. I have an Airlink wireless N that I got a couple years ago. I think Buffalo is a cheaper brand, I'd just stick with D-link or Linksys.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Been very happy with my asus rt-n16 router, running oleg custom firmware it does all I could want...even has built in printer sharing and shared usb drives.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Linksys Cisco E3000.Awesome router.

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am and have been running a Linksys router for the last 3-4 years and it is still going. D-Link is okay as well. I like the newer routers where if you plug a external hard drive into it, it makes it a network drive. But I am still using a relatively old one.
jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My Netgear router has been doing the same thing recently. It got to the point yesterday that I had to cycle the power every few minutes. I ended up updating the firmware and it has not messed up yet. Granted it has only been over night but its worth a shot.

Also the Linksys router we use at work will lose its connection or the ssid will change and security will become disabled. Almost as if it is resetting itself.

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blind and gtowned, how long have you been using those routers? N8, looks like you got lucky.. I've had 2-3 Linksys routers, and they all died out after a year and a half or so. Agreed on the external HD feature.

--------------------
94 GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DLo:
Blind and gtowned, how long have you been using those routers? N8, looks like you got lucky.. I've had 2-3 Linksys routers, and they all died out after a year and a half or so. Agreed on the external HD feature.

got about a year on this one so far, knock on wood no problems. It has way more features than I mentioned btw, it's basically a mini computer.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-N16-Wireless-Ethernet-external/dp/B002SISM5W

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had a 2 linksys wrt54g since 2002. I powercycle it once a year to upgrade firmware. For those that have routers crapping out on them make sure they are plugged into a surge protector, they are placed in an area with open space to help with the heat and they are not placed on the ground if you have carpet to avoid static electricity. The biggest one is avoid pulling the plug on the router to reset it. I know tons of people have problem with wireless/wired connectivity and the first thing they do is pull the plug and plug it back in. After 2-3 years of doing that the router will take a dump.
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Don't power cycle by pulling the power? That's news to me.. I don't think my Netgear even has a power/reset button. Couldn't find anything in the CP either that lets you reset.

--------------------
94 GT

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com