Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Selling a vehicle wothout a smog cert?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Selling a vehicle wothout a smog cert?
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tried searching the DMV site and this site but couldn't find the topic, athough I know it's been brought up before.

I'm selling a current non-op, without a smog (hopefully). Is it possible, and what paperwork do I need?

Thanks.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the only way you can sell the car without smog is to write out a set of conditions in the bill of sale as an "off road only" and "as is" vehicle.
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
I think the only way you can sell the car without smog is to write out a set of conditions in the bill of sale as an "off road only" and "as is" vehicle.

nah you are still responsible I believe. If you do find that asshole buyer, I believe they can make you smog it.
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
seller is responsible for smog always.

you can get away without it if the buyer is cool or stupid.

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The potential buyer doesn't seem like he cares too much. I just thought I would do a release of liability and sign the title. Maybe I should write out a bill of sale with the "as-is" on there. I am done with smog. Hopefully my deal on a 59 olds goes through.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can write whatever on the bill of sale, but ultimately you are responsible for smog according to California.

Honestly, I bought a car and figured on smogging it myself, which I thought was no big deal but a year later I still don't have a smog and no pink. Fighting every leak and issue just to get to the station.
I now wish I had the previous owner smog the fucking thing. [Roll Eyes] ....next time [Wink]

[ October 05, 2010, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Bent70 ]

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

CobraChick
¯
Member # 9885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraChick  Ford pictures for CobraChick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i heard as long as the buyer and seller make an agreement you can sell it without smog.... if i were you i would just call DMV and ask them

--------------------
Behind ever successful person is a pack of haters.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CobraChick:
i heard as long as the buyer and seller make an agreement you can sell it without smog.... if i were you i would just call DMV and ask them

nope they can still hold you liable and it can back fire on you.

From the DMV

quote:
When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

NOTE: Smog certifications are not required for transfers that occur for a gasoline powered motor vehicle that is four or less model years old. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year) the four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner.

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Non op the car and sell it as a non operational vehicle. Can't smog a car that is declared not operational. Worth a shot. What kind of car are you trying to sell anyways?
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The seller is responsible for the smog. If the buyer wants to pull a fast one he could do what he wants with the car after he buys it and you would still be responsible.
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

It is a non-op right now. I think it would turn into a civil issue between me and the seller, and he already knows that the engine needs a rebuild, and I ain't hiding anything from him at all. There's nothing he's gonna run into that I didn't explain.

BTW it's an 89 GT vert. It's in the sale secton for $1800.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com