Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » dmv/smog question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: dmv/smog question
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just bought a car. the old owner smogged it for me. the tags are due in 3 1/2 months and would normally be the the time to smog to recieve the tags, my question is since it was smogged for transfer is it good for two years from that date? or will it need a smog for tags as well?
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in the past dvm has renewed the reg for me if it was close to the due date. 3 months is still kind of far. ask them if you can when you go in.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You wont need to smog again when it renews. I just bought a truck that renews in october and tried to pay early for the 2011 tags and they wouldnt let me do it. They said you can come in like 10 days early or something now.

Doesnt someone here work at DMV?

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yaterstang:
You wont need to smog again when it renews. I just bought a truck that renews in october and tried to pay early for the 2011 tags and they wouldnt let me do it. They said you can come in like 10 days early or something now.

yater, how long before the tags were do was your truck smogged?
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the truck was smogged a day before i bought the truck i believe. but tags expire 10/31/10, im not a dmv pro but they told me at least this year i wont have to smog it when i go and pay.
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

No one WORKS at DMV they go in drink coffee complain about having to help people and deposit their check!

And yeah as far as reg I do believe you have to wait.

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had to smog a car during the same year as I bought it in the past, got it in Jan. - was smogged for the transfer of ownership, and had to smog it in July for the renewal.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Smog is good for 90 Days that's it [Wink]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by 94 N.C.F. GT:
Smog is good for 90 Days that's it [Wink]

i was just told by dmv i could pay tags like 2 weeks early, which would put the smog within 90 days? would that make it so im not having to smog it?
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe so but dmv always try to milk you so good luck

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fstryde3:
quote:

No one WORKS at DMV they go in drink coffee complain about having to help people and deposit their check!

I WORK at DMV and bust my ass everyday to be sure the motoring public get complete/accurate customer service and information. The state tax payers get their moneys worth out of me. You may have seen something lackluster at some time, but I can guarantee you the whole is greater than its individual parts.

Registration renewals can be paid up to 45 days prior to the expiration date. Smog certificates are good up to 90 days. You are required to smog your vehicle upon transfer of ownership. You also are required to do a biennial smog test every two years in order to renew your reg. The two are mutually exclusive. The only time you aren't required to smog it twice is when the transfer of ownership and biennial smog occur within the same 90 day period you got your last certificate.

* If it is your biennial smog year and you don't renew your reg before the cert expires then you must smog it again.

*If it is not your biennial smog year then you have no worries.

*If your car is due for smog this year, and you take in that same smog cert used to transfer before it expires, your golden.

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
quote:
quote:

I WORK at DMV and bust my ass everyday to be sure the motoring public get complete/accurate customer service and information. The state tax payers get their moneys worth out of me. You may have seen something lackluster at some time, but I can guarantee you the whole is greater than its individual parts.

Registration renewals can be paid up to 45 days prior to the expiration date. Smog certificates are good up to 90 days. You are required to smog your vehicle upon transfer of ownership. You also are required to do a biennial smog test every two years in order to renew your reg. The two are mutually exclusive. The only time you aren't required to smog it twice is when the transfer of ownership and biennial smog occur within the same 90 day period you got your last certificate.

* If it is your biennial smog year and you don't renew your reg before the cert expires then you must smog it again.

check pm homie
*If your car is due for smog this year, and you take in that same smog cert used to transfer before it expires, your golden.

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
quote:
quote:

Slow it down sounds like you read the mission statement out of the employee training manual LOL and I kid but you you know damn well there are a ton of donkeys at DMV, oh and how the hell do I get a job there seems like you have to whack someone out to get in!
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com