Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Open carry law question in CA.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Open carry law question in CA.
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my friend at work told me it is legal to open carry you gun in CA as long as it is not loaded. Is this true? What is the point of carrying a gun with no bullets? That is like having a knife with no blade. Wouldnt this make those people more of a target to criminals. Since they know the gun is not loaded wouldnt they just rob those people and take their guns? Why is califonrnia so anal about not allowing open carry? Why doesnt the government want honest citizens to have the right to defend their lives?

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me.

Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't have all the answers to your questions, but I saw this on the news a while where they interviewed one of the guys who advocated opencarry. He was a local and out of curiosity, I found this site: www.opencarry.org - maybe you can get better answers from there.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
cagedblackgt
I <3 CAFords.com
Member # 10090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cagedblackgt  Ford pictures for cagedblackgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello,

While there are a ton of restrictions on where you can open carry in CA (like Fed buildings, near schools ect), it is legal at the moment.

Its not as bad as you might think.

The gun has to be in plain view for one, so a hip holster. On the other side of the hip I carry my magazines, ready to rock.

Takes less then 2 seconds to pull the gun out, slap a magazine in an be ready to put rounds down range.

Mike

--------------------
Making the moderators cyber-sit me is probably a good way of getting my account locked for a while. I know they're busy folks volunteering their time to help others out.It's selfish of me and others who make their task more time consuming and difficult than it already is. In fact I should either chip in and help out or not participate at all. I'm going to do my best to be part of the solution and not the problem from now on.

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh ok I didnt know you can have the ammo on you. I dont own a gun so i dont know much. But what if you own a revolver is it the same thing? You just carry one of those quick loaders on you?
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know a dude that open carries. He keeps one in the chamber tho...lol.

I wanna say he told me that you have to provide a statement as to why you want to open carry. I could be wrong. But he was robbed once (violently) and I remember him tellin me he had to state that somewhere. Shit in Texas the open carry is out of control. Mugs be drunk in bars with straps...lol

cagedblackgt
I <3 CAFords.com
Member # 10090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cagedblackgt  Ford pictures for cagedblackgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

I wanna say he told me that you have to provide a statement as to why you want to open carry. I could be wrong. But he was robbed once (violently) and I remember him tellin me he had to state that somewhere. Shit in Texas the open carry is out of control. Mugs be drunk in bars with straps...lol

You do not have to provide any reason why you want to open carry.

You have to give up the weapon to any peace officer who asks, as they can check at any time to see if its unloaded.

--------------------
Making the moderators cyber-sit me is probably a good way of getting my account locked for a while. I know they're busy folks volunteering their time to help others out.It's selfish of me and others who make their task more time consuming and difficult than it already is. In fact I should either chip in and help out or not participate at all. I'm going to do my best to be part of the solution and not the problem from now on.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cagedblackgt:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

You have to give up the weapon to any peace officer who asks, as they can check at any time to see if its unloaded.

I just called him and asked. He said he had to provide the reason to the Sheriff (this was in San Joaquin County). And it is a process where you can be denied. I think it may be county specific.
cagedblackgt
I <3 CAFords.com
Member # 10090

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

I just called him and asked. He said he had to provide the reason to the Sheriff (this was in San Joaquin County). And it is a process where you can be denied. I think it may be county specific.
Ya they may have changed county ordinance over there. Counties can restrict open carry, which is bullshit, but they are going to ban open carry outright, further limiting the rights of legal gun owning citizens.

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Sounds like hes applying for a Concealed Carry.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

+1 Pretty tough to get that 1.

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Called again and asked, he said nope it is indeed open carry. But he was denied concealed.
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Called again and asked, he said nope it is indeed open carry. But he was denied concealed.
last I heard less than 0.5% of people who apply for CCW are granted it. And of those that are, usually its LEO's, liquor store clerks/ gas stations etc..... That means of approx 43 million people in CA only about 217,300 have these permits.

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to stop by VPD and see if I can get one..... It's worth a shot to try. [Smile]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A liquor store clerk can carry concealed in his or her own store without a permit. To me, open carry just makes you the first target and frankly, a liability. The whole thing scares me.

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Open Carry in CA is a huge issue right now because CA SUCKS FAT ONES and according to the law only really allowed in rural areas, and as far as TX goes they don't allow open carry but you can get a CCW there as long as you complete classes and paperwork, I'd rather have a CCW then open carry any day of the week.
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CA SUCKS!

I work in RENO few days a week and man this place is cool, open carry everywere with the clip in the gun, Just no bullet in the chamber. I met a guy who open carries with 5 extra clip, I asked WHY he said BECAUSE I CAN! [patriot]

Oh ya it takes 1 class and 3 month to get your CCW in NEVADA which is good in few states!

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com