Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need this settled now!!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Need this settled now!!!
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so me and my friends are arguing. If you have a SVO Foxbody and replace the original turbo 4cyl motor with a 5.0 roller motor. Is it still considered a SVO or just a typical fox???I know a few people who have done it and we can't figure out who is right

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its still an SVO cause of the body and suspension. But then its not cause SVO was 4cyl turbo. Soooooo. Id say its nit an SVO. Cause theres no turbo. Lol.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 85notch5.0:
Its still an SVO cause of the body and suspension. But then its not cause SVO was 4cyl turbo. Soooooo. Id say its nit an SVO. Cause theres no turbo. Lol.

I'm going with a nay also.. But the suspension on them was built for 4cyl so it is actually a negative right?? 7.5 rear end I think.. So the body makes it an SVO... Idk what to think

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you buy a roush 351R, and swap in a GT motor its no longer a 351R

If you buy an 03/04 cobra, and swap in a GT motor its no longer a 03/04 cobra

If you buy and SVO, and swap in a GT motor its no longer a SVO

It might be one by vin but that's it. That's how I see it.

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
89Saleen310
¯
Member # 5397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Saleen310  Ford pictures for 89Saleen310  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Still an svo the suspension and the brakes and the body kit is what makes it for me.

--------------------
89 Saleen #310
64 1/2 coupe
73 mach 1
73 vert
66 vert
65 vert
67 coupe
67 coupe
66 coupe

Posts: 1128 | From: Oakland Hills (montclair) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89Saleen310:
Still an svo the suspension and the brakes and the body kit is what makes it for me.

I agree with this it just has a different motor

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:

If you a swap a LS1 into a coupe and somebody asks you what kind of car you have you would still say a coupe right? Same situation here. It is still considered a SVO but swapped motor.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The VIN doesn't change when you swap motors. Still and SVO, just not as cool as it was originally.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1QUIK93:
quote:

If you a swap a LS1 into a coupe and somebody asks you what kind of car you have you would still say a coupe right? Same situation here. It is still considered a SVO but swapped motor.
Still a coupe by body yes. But if you go to a car show or drag event for svo's and you show up with one that has a 5.0 in it your not gonna qualify. The exclusivity and rarity of an SVO is the 2.3L turbo. Once that motor is gone its just a run of the mill fox body

--------------------

Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1QUIK93:
quote:

Still a coupe by body yes. But if you go to a car show or drag event for svo's and you show up with one that has a 5.0 in it your not gonna qualify. The exclusivity and rarity of an SVO is the 2.3L turbo. Once that motor is gone its just a run of the mill fox body
That's true. I guess it all just depends on how you look at it. You will never get one answer. By body it's an SVO by motor it's just another foxbody.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If u buy a coupe and put an 03 cobra motor its not a 03 cobra its still a coupe so0000 its still an SVO

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Everyone is going to judge the BOOK by its COVER...that's the great part

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If u take Ferrari and put a 5.0 in it is it still a Ferrari?
If u take a Fiero and put a Ferrari body kit on it is it a Ferrari now?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
we call those a <mutt>
94OnDuces
¯
Member # 9555

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94OnDuces  Ford pictures for 94OnDuces    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why would u get a svo and swap to a 5.0 anyway it takes away you being a rare svo and just make you another 5.0 on the streets with down graded suspension right?... thats what i think

--------------------
94 DROP GT
"Burn Rubber Not Your Soul"

94OnDuces
¯
Member # 9555

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94OnDuces  Ford pictures for 94OnDuces    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does anybody know anyone who has done the swap? i wonder what they consider there car to be?

--------------------
94 DROP GT

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Putting an 03/04 cobra motor in a coupe, or any fox body for that matter should never be compared to putting a 302 in an SVO. Mainly because putting newer technology in an older body style will always be an upgrade and nobody would question that. Secondly coupe/LX/GT models are not limited production or specialty models. A more accurate comparison would be a motor swap on a foxbody Saleen, Cobra, Mclaren or the like because the second you modify it, unless done right, your losing value. Cannot compare your average production line fox to limited edition cars. Apples to oranges.

Taking the 2.3L turbo out of a limited production and surviving model SVO to drop in a 302 is a waste of a car. People buy them because of the motor setup and not for the overly impressive body styling. Go find a lx/GT 4 banger to do it to or find a 1500 5.0 fox on CL and don't hack up one of the few remaining SVO models.

Either way id love to see the resell value on a 302 SVO or 5 Liter powered Ferrari compared to the factory model.

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a dude on here that has a cammed 302 in an SVO, I think it might be 84SVORick?

Not trying to hate on anybody's cars, but if I purchased an SVO, I personally would want a turbo 2.3 under the hood. But, I would most likely hurt the cars value after purchase because I would have to lose the double spoiler & wheels, other than that, all the SVO stuff would stay in place.

[ July 04, 2010, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:

If u take a Fiero and put a Ferrari body kit on it is it a Ferrari now?

A Fiero is a Pontiac version of a Ferrari [Big Grin] [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18533 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol, nice to hear a topic about my car, but let me set sum facts straight.

1st off the stock suspension is all v8 parts from the factory for the svo's. but my car has upgraded to a sn95 complete front end swap.

2nd yes its a HYBRID SVO as i like to call it

3rd yes its a 7.5 but i beat the hell out of it and still locks up like new gots dat GOOD POSI U SENTTED IT LOL, the only difference between a 7.5 and an 8.8 is the cariar size.

4th i wanted to b different, my next project will v an 85.5 svo so ill have the best of both worlds

Call it wut u want but i got an 84 SVO, my name is rick, so u can jus call me 84svoRICK lmao

Think of it this way

If you go from a 302 to a 306 are u still a 5.0? Yes cuz of the body.
Go from a 302 to a 351 n a fox, do u still call it a 5.0 or 50.

STOP.......THINK ABOUT IT

[ July 05, 2010, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: 84SVOrick ]

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
94OnDuces
¯
Member # 9555

84svo looks like you the only one one hear with that swap... if ya dun mind me askin what made ya do it i forgot that one was a svo before.

--------------------
94 DROP GT

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It was cheaper then rebuilding the 2.3, that motor is very hard to find proformance parts and they are stupidp expensive, its hard and really expensive to have work done, so basically it boiled down to what was in my budget.

If i could do it over i would of saved a lil more money and did the 2.3 turbo instead of the 302

[ July 05, 2010, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: 84SVOrick ]

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
needs the original motor to live up to the name
Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I have a V8-swapped SVO as well. I've been rockin it that way since 2001, although the car has not been road-worthy for much of the last 5 years.

Why did I swap motors? The 2.3 was unreliable, made pretty sorry power, and the aftermarket for the SVO-type motors was very small at the time(a bit more developed now, but still expensive to mod).

The car is still an SVO by the VIN and not much else, but it still is "my SVO." It will never be a 'fifty' or a 'Cobra' to me.

Did I butcher a rare and valuable car? Yes, and sadly, no. They have their fans, but the values of any SVO but a showroom new example are in the toilet. I built it my way because it was my car to make the way I wanted it. And the parts pulled off of it kept the SVO's of SVO enthusiasts alive.

If I was to do it again, I would swap in the V8 but keep the body and interior stock.

[ July 06, 2010, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: phildog ]

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com