Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Computer help, Question *Another question!* (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Computer help, Question *Another question!*
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my old desktop motherboard/chip blew up a month ago and i just bought a new motherboard and a faster chip. The new motherboard only has sata connections on it and none of the old ribbon connections that my hard drives use, is there a way to connect my old hard drives to my new computer? Like a special wire or something?

[ July 08, 2010, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: WildFire532FB ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

cagedblackgt
I <3 CAFords.com
Member # 10090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cagedblackgt  Ford pictures for cagedblackgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to Fry's and get yourself an IDE to SATA converter....i think they are 10 or 20 bucks each.

--------------------
Making the moderators cyber-sit me is probably a good way of getting my account locked for a while. I know they're busy folks volunteering their time to help others out.It's selfish of me and others who make their task more time consuming and difficult than it already is. In fact I should either chip in and help out or not participate at all. I'm going to do my best to be part of the solution and not the problem from now on.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Awesome, so there is such a thing i will do that then, its just a wire right? nothing more complicated than that?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

OK got the sata converter, now i ran into another problem my video card is so old its not compatible with my new motherboard, when is this shit going to end. I guess i should have figured the new stuff wouldn't work with 10 year old equipment. This computer is going to be badass though if it works haha.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why didnt u just buy a new comp?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Post up your new build. If you are upgrading after 10 years to new hardware you basically will need to do a complete rebuild because of compatibility and power requirements of newer technology.

If you are not really set on reusing your drives, I would suggest you purchase a new hard drive. It's more cost efficient, you store your data on a newer drive for protection, and you will notice a bump in performance. These days 60 bucks can get you a 1TB drive.

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
Post up your new build. If you are upgrading after 10 years to new hardware you basically will need to do a complete rebuild because of compatibility and power requirements of newer technology.

If you are not really set on reusing your drives, I would suggest you purchase a new hard drive. It's more cost efficient, you store your data on a newer drive for protection, and you will notice a bump in performance. These days 60 bucks can get you a 1TB drive.

What he said above, With old equipment like that your better off just upgrading everything because technology changes so fast.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:

Shit i should have. I've almost now spent more than a new computer at bestbuy. Waiting on the new video card now.

ASUS motherboard with an intel quad core 3.3Ghz chip
6Gs of ram and now an cheaper than the expensive video cards out now but 100x better video card than my last one.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:

Shit i should have. I've almost now spent more than a new computer at bestbuy. Waiting on the new video card now.

ASUS motherboard with an intel quad core 3.3Ghz chip
6Gs of ram and now an cheaper than the expensive video cards out now but 100x better video card than my last one.

DAMN! Do you have an Intel Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.3GHz 6.4GT/s LGA1366! I think the lga775 maxes out at 3ghz with the Q9650.

You are going to need a new power supply if you didn't purchase one already. Going with a midline video card I would suggest getting at least a 600w+ antec, corsair, some fsps, or seasonic power supply. They are efficient and have stable rails. Your old power supply is most likely a 20 pin and you'll need a 24 pin. A solid pw is the most critical component of a PC.

Also I would definitely spend 50 more bucks and get a new hard drive for your OS. No point in purchasing 6GB of ram and a 3ghz quad when your HD will bottlenecking it. PATA drives max out an avg of 100 M/B sec while SATA drives are around 150 MB/SEC+ The difference in your build is significant. If you purchased the chip that I think you purchased, you should be looking into SSD hard drives.

Make sure you run 64 bit Vista or Win7. Any 32bit windows maxes out at 3.5gb of ram even if it recognizes more. Google physical address extension for more info about it.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

My old computer i thought the power supply failed so that was the first thing i bought so i have a 24 pin power supply that matches the motherboard and chip.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Once i get the computer running i am planning on getting a led monitor and a 1.5Tb hardrive for it. I just need all the info on my two harddrives.
I plan on using XP

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Once i get the computer running i am planning on getting a led monitor and a 1.5Tb hardrive for it. I just need all the info on my two harddrives.
I plan on using XP

When it comes to computer monitors don't buy into the whole LED thing. It is just a gimmick. There is no such thing as an LED monitor. It's actually an lcd panel with an LED backlite. Purchase a monitor with an IPS panel if you are going to spend money. The colors and picture quality is unmatched.

If you use XP you will only be using 3.5GB out of the 6GB that you have.

cagedblackgt
I <3 CAFords.com
Member # 10090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cagedblackgt  Ford pictures for cagedblackgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
I plan on using XP

When it comes to computer monitors don't buy into the whole LED thing. It is just a gimmick. There is no such thing as an LED monitor. It's actually an lcd panel with an LED backlite. Purchase a monitor with an IPS panel if you are going to spend money. The colors and picture quality is unmatched.

If you use XP you will only be using 3.5GB out of the 6GB that you have.

Unless you get XP 64bit.

Also the monitor thing is 100% true.

--------------------
Making the moderators cyber-sit me is probably a good way of getting my account locked for a while. I know they're busy folks volunteering their time to help others out.It's selfish of me and others who make their task more time consuming and difficult than it already is. In fact I should either chip in and help out or not participate at all. I'm going to do my best to be part of the solution and not the problem from now on.

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

You will have one nice system. I wouldn't stress about spending more than what a pre built computer would cost at best buy. You have far better components that are worth more for your money.

Good luck on the build!

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
You will have one nice system. I wouldn't stress about spending more than what a pre built computer would cost at best buy. You have far better components that are worth more for your money.

Good luck on the build!

Thanks man. I am a little nervous about putting the thermal shit on and then putting the fan on the chip. I burned up a couple AMD chips doing that shit.
by the way it is a i7-960 LGA1366 3.3Ghz
That sucks i'll only be using 3.5Gs of my ram [Frown] I got it on sale though so i can't complain maybe i'll upgrade sometime but i haven't had any problems with XP.
I am looking forward to getting this thing running. I am just nervous about putting the fan on and all that stuff.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
quote:

Good luck on the build!

Thanks man. I am a little nervous about putting the thermal shit on and then putting the fan on the chip. I burned up a couple AMD chips doing that shit.
That sucks i'll only be using 3.5Gs of my ram [Frown] I got it on sale though so i can't complain maybe i'll upgrade sometime but i haven't had any problems with XP.
I am looking forward to getting this thing running. I am just nervous about putting the fan on and all that stuff.

You have one hell of a chip. It's a monster. The heatsink and fan is really easy to install on with lga 1366. It's just plastic pins that you push through. It's a whole lot easier than the older amd heatsinks and chips that. Just follow the directions that is provided. Putting the computer together is cake compared to putting a fastback together.

The good news is that the thermal paste is already applied on the stock heatsink that comes with your cpu. You'll see some type of substance on the copper surface. It is ready to be installed right out of the box.

But if you are using an aftermarket heatsink and have to apply the thermal paste remember a little goes a long way. Just put a single grain drop on the processor and place the headsink on top. The pressure with the heatsink clipped on will be enough to spread the thermal paste.

Let me know how it goes or if you run into any problems. Good luck!

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
quote:
quote:

Good luck on the build!

You have one hell of a chip. It's a monster. The heatsink and fan is really easy to install on with lga 1366. It's just plastic pins that you push through. It's a whole lot easier than the older amd heatsinks and chips that. Just follow the directions that is provided. Putting the computer together is cake compared to putting a fastback together.

The good news is that the thermal paste is already applied on the stock heatsink that comes with your cpu. You'll see some type of substance on the copper surface. It is ready to be installed right out of the box.

But if you are using an aftermarket heatsink and have to apply the thermal paste remember a little goes a long way. Just put a single grain drop on the processor and place the headsink on top. The pressure with the heatsink clipped on will be enough to spread the thermal paste.

Oh ok so thats what that stuff is, should i put more on? i have some of that silver thermal stuff. i am just worried about bubbles or something. i don't want to fry this thing.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good luck on the build!

Oh ok so thats what that stuff is, should i put more on? i have some of that silver thermal stuff. i am just worried about bubbles or something. i don't want to fry this thing.
Intel put the perfect amount of thermal compound on the heatsink so I wouldn't put anymore on. I know it looks like it could use more but you really only need a very, very thin layer.

You actually run the risk of overheating by putting too much because it will "blanket" the cpu. Let me know if you need help locating software.

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dana why not upgrade to windows 7 64bit? Im running it on almost the same machine you are putting together and i couldnt be happier.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by liftedF150:
Dana why not upgrade to windows 7 64bit? Im running it on almost the same machine you are putting together and i couldnt be happier.

I haven't played with that operating system so i don't know anything about it. Right now i just want to get the computer running because of all the stuff on my harddrives.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

OK another question i should have this thing running tonight. Do i need to play with the bios or can i just turn the computer on and have it work?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

ON heatsink is on, it was a bitch, i should have played with it before installing, it wasn't one were you just push on, i hope its not fucked up cause i had to pull it off to see how to tightens down.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Anyone i got the computer together, just waiting for an answer before i turn it on and fry my chip.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Anyone i got the computer together, just waiting for an answer before i turn it on and fry my chip.

Make sure the board is properly grounded and the bottom is not touching the bottom of the motherboard tray. Double check the 24pin main and the extra 4 or 6pin (its either or) from the power supply to motherboard. Double check the ram is seated correctly.

Reseating the HSF is fine. It won't damage anything. The thermal compound is still fresh and in the correct place.

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Good luck and hope it boots right up.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com