Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Unemployment... I'm screwed! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Unemployment... I'm screwed!
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been on unemployment off and on since September of last year. Up until today, I rightly or wrongly believed that I had another 53 weeks of benefits left through extensions. As many do, I depend on that money to pay my bills and put a cheese burger in my belly.

However, today, I found out that due to Congress not passing any further extensions, my unemployment ran out last week. Thankfully, I have some money saved in reserve, but it will not be long until I am touching my credit lines. I fill somewhat fortunate, I have a father and family that will help get me through this difficult time, but I know not everyone is that fortunate. There are millions of Americans that also depend on these benefits to stay afloat and without them will end up homeless and starving.

I am not giving up hope, I still believe another extension will be passed, sooner than later, but it may come to late for some...

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/Federal_Unemployment_Insurance_Extensions.htm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comments_blog/2010/06/unemployment-extension.html

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think we need to stop the foreign aid and help our own. It always seems on the news that the U.S. gives but never receives.
Mustang Guru
¯
Member # 4119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustang Guru  Ford pictures for Mustang Guru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welll I guess if thas the case in that happens to me next week I b back standen on that black top salen that coke rock....not gunna b broke my kids gotta eat n have a rrof over they head

--------------------
1990 x-chp highway lil 302
1977 caprice classic 2dr.{Sold} 1988 coupe 4cyl dd{sold}

Posts: 1171 | From: Uptown Bound | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Secnd2nun64:
I think we need to stop the foreign aid and help our own. It always seems on the news that the U.S. gives but never receives.

On your point, this is what another person wrote on http://www.congress.org/

"Heartbreaking

Many of us are heartbroken because of the recent denial of extended unemployment. Many of us are waiting scared not knowing whats going to happen. We don't know when we are going to lose our homes, have our power cut off or lose our cars. And its all ridiculous. Its pretty bad when things like this are happening and its not because of mother nature. How can our senators be so heartless?Our lives are in their hands but they refuse to see the real picture of things. Many of us were struggling to begin with and then all of this happens.How do you even begin to tell your children you may be living on the streets?I am a firm believer in helping everyone I possibly can but only when I can. And we have not been in the position to help other countries but have continued to do. And they won't even help our own people!They are so worried about where the money is going to come from to pay for this, well they need to start worrying about how they are going to put people in houses or pay for their food. They need to worry about crime rates going up and more uninsured seeking medical help because of being homeless. This decision they are supposedly struggling over is going to multilply if something is not done now!Its time for someone to let go of their pride to get something done! It's time for us to stand up and say enough is enough! I am tired of worrying! I am tired of someone having this much control over my family!"

Not that it matters, but I wrote to Congressman Lungren. We will see if I get a response...

[ June 30, 2010, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: rgtrahn ]

rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sic Wit it 50:
Welll I guess if thas the case in that happens to me next week I b back standen on that black top salen that coke rock....not gunna b broke my kids gotta eat n have a rrof over they head

Are you currently collecting unemployment? If so, you will be okay if you are in your first 26 weeks, but after that, unless Congress acts, well...you're screwed like me.

As I said, I am rather fortunate. I am not married, I do not have any children and I do not own a house, but unemployment is still a lifeline to keep me afloat while I look for a job. I sense sarcasm in your post, but there are those who are married, have children and a house payment, that if push came to shove would resort to committing crime to survive, I've seen it. Myself, being a unemployed law enforcement officer cannot/ will not resort to that. Thankfully, I saved some money in a rainy day fund, have a credit line and an awesome dad that will help me pull through. Plus, I still think sooner than later Congress will pass another extension. There too many people they are dependent on it. If they lose that it will only make the economy worse...

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A rough statistic I hear on the radio: 86% of people who get off unemployment aren't employed until the final week they are eligable.....
cees87drop
¯
Member # 4066

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cees87drop  Ford pictures for cees87drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
A rough statistic I hear on the radio: 86% of people who get off unemployment aren't employed until the final week they are eligable.....

Cause that's when they actually start looking for a job. Lol.
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In my opinion no one is owed anything. If your on unemployment you have all day to find another job. I think people get too picky and look for something comparable to what they were doing.

You've got to get what you can and continue to look while doing that. After all some money is better than none.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

quote:
Originally posted by adower:
In my opinion no one is owed anything. If your on unemployment you have all day to find another job. I think people get too picky and look for something comparable to what they were doing.

You've got to get what you can and continue to look while doing that. After all some money is better than none.

Valid point... However, when you go from making $4,500-5,000 a month ($60,000 a year) unemployment is only a fraction of that (max is $1,850 a month). So, it really doesn't cover all that much if you have bills like a mortgage, cars, boats or other toys. Thankfully, I didn't purchase any of the above and saved a lot of money I earned. However, being unemployed for the past 8 months I have burned through a lot of that. In reality, there is no way I could go back to Home Depot and survive financially. Aaron we both know how that was $12 an hour was good money for an associate there and we were still part time. That would never cover my monthly expenses. I think when I worked there I was making 10k-12k a year on average. Unemployment provides me that in six months. So, point in fact, it actually makes more economic sense to stay on unemployment and look for a job/ career in my field that provide me with future and I have been. I have sent out countless applications, gone to interviews, filled out PH's the whole 9 yards, but for one reason or another it falls through. Competition is steep 1,000 people to 1 spot... it's getting as bad as applying to be a firefighter. I have been continuing to pad my resume with more education and reserve/ volunteer work with my old department, but I am still coming up short and I am not alone.
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

I was doing some research this morning and found out I can reapply for a new claim on July 4, 2010 because my 52 week claim is over and I worked on-call work until September 13, 2009. This will provide me with another 26 week of coverage, with no federal extensions. I hope to be back to work anyhow in September as an on-call, but the county/ department has not determined what the budget is actually going to be...
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:

At least those people know when their benefits run out... like I said, rightly or wrongly I thought I still had another 53 weeks of steady income if I so needed it, but I find out yesterday that my benefits ended last week and I'll be honest, I wasn't out beating the pavement looking for an $8.00 an hour job and I was looking for one in my field, but as it turns out now, I may need that...

People forget that people who are on unemployment are on it through no fault of their own... If I could be working I would be. My whole life has been on hold while I try and piece together my next life move. Each day is a journey and it's not a walk in the park or a vacation by any means.

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Me and my boss were talking politics yesterday and he said unemployment is suppost to extend more ..again
Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yo rg i thought you told me you where a ****?

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

quote:
Originally posted by CHUGGNBREW'Z:

I was a deputy up here in Sac until I stopped getting hours and ultimately laid off... I kept my reserve status and volunteer my time to keep my POST good and polish my resume until I get rehired or hired by another agency/ department... Don't get me wrong, I have no hard feeling for my department. This is where I want to be, but the county is a mess...
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rgtrahn:
quote:

I was a deputy up here in Sac until I stopped getting hours and ultimately laid off... I kept my reserve status and volunteer my time to keep my POST good and polish my resume until I get rehired or hired by another agency/ department... Don't get me wrong, I have no hard feeling for my department. This is where I want to be, but the county is a mess...
Why not get a jawb doing this for now?
 -

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Grass Valley Police were just hiring.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

quote:
Originally posted by Yaterstang:
quote:
Originally posted by rgtrahn:
quote:

Why not get a jawb doing this for now?
 -

Be lucky to make $12 an hour doing armed security. I have few buddies that work for Paladin they love it, but it doesn't pay well. It would be like working at Home Depot again and I already said mentioned that wouldn't pay my monthly expenses... Plus, to be a security guard, you have to go through guard school... they will not accept my POST Certificate.
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
Grass Valley Police were just hiring.

Applied...
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So everyone who has been on unemployment for more then 26 weeks has been cut off? [Confused]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
So everyone who has been on unemployment for more then 26 weeks has been cut off? [Confused]

Yep... [Mad]

This is the thing that gets me though. There are some people who have been on unemployment for 99 weeks and just running out and others who have been on for 26 and running out... were all in the same boat. Seems to me like there would have been a tier system, so that people could be winged off.

UI Benefits Provided This Recession
UI Claims Maximum Weeks of Benefits Provided Deadline for Starting This UI Claim
Regular UI Claim Up to 26 weeks of benefits Once someone becomes unemployed
1st Tier of Federal Extension Up to 20 weeks of benefits May 23, 2010
2nd Tier of Federal Extension Up to 14 weeks of benefits May 30, 2010
3rd Tier of Federal Extension Up to 13 weeks of benefits May 30, 2010
4th Tier of Federal Extension Up to 6 weeks of benefits May 30, 2010
Separate FED-ED Extension

POTENTIAL TOTAL MAXIMUM BENEFITS Up to 20 weeks of benefits

Up to 99 weeks of benefits June 6, 2010, last payable week is June 12, 2010

Table is messed up on here, but here is the website

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Federal_Unemployment_Insurance_Extensions.htm

bottom line, there are no more extensions, unless congress acts, but they are holding it hostage while millions of Americans struggle to put food on the table and a shelter over their heads...

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
RGTrahn

Not sure how big you are but I know a couple of people have been doing private security and bouncing. Along with the security thing. With this whole Oakland thing about to boil over you can make a good chunk of change doing security. Also if you ever had a idea about a business this may be a good time to pursue entrepreneur-ism.

You gotta get your hustle on, may even consider a change of career and the military.

[ June 30, 2010, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: N8 ]

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GET MONEY! Securitas, paladin and the other security places are hiring. You can work overnight and keep searching for a real jawb during the day. Since your in law enforcement, selling drugs, selling illegal fireworks, pimpin, hustlin is out of the equation unless your working for the Feds of course.
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like the last two posters enthusiasm...
Cut your expenses in half. Sell off toys that are not needed. Open your mind a bit. We are all struggling. I am making half the money I used to make in 2008. For the same work. Plus I have more competition than ever.

[ June 30, 2010, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: GTO ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

[QUOTE]Originally posted by N8:
RGTrahn

Not sure how big you are but I know a couple of people have been doing private security and bouncing. Along with the security thing. With this whole Oakland thing about to boil over you can make a good chunk of change doing security. Also if you ever had a idea about a business this may be a good time to pursue entrepreneur-ism.

You gotta get your hustle on, may even consider a change of career and the military.
[/QUOTE

I have heard Oakland is laying off 80 officers...
[Eek!]

I have thought about trying to get into executive security and even the military is viable option down the road. I have applied to non-sworn positions with in law enforcement such as CSO's, dispatcher..ect. But pretty much all local governments are making cuts.

At this point I can still survive for another six months on my own and I spoke to EDD about 20 minutes ago and I am going to file a new claim on July 5, 2010, and that will buy me another 26 weeks. So, I'll be okay for a year. During this downtime, I have been finishing my degree with EDD's permission. I am still young, only 23 and feel fortunate to be where I am at. There are many others that do not have it as easy as me...
[patriot]

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds positive... good luck man!

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com