Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » How far would you guys go on a salvage title fox? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: How far would you guys go on a salvage title fox?
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so coming from your son’s point of view. I was 15 when I got my first and only mustang, so far. I was going through the same thing your son is. I was excited especially since I was coming from a family of owning 5.0s. Mine was salvaged but no damage and it was all stock 1990 gt, and my dad told me not to put money into it. So I got a paintjob we had ponies I threw them on. Then I ordered carpet, reupholstered the seats, pretty much transformed the car. The whole time I knew I wasn’t going to get any money out of it but kept on adding onto the car for my enjoyment car sits with a bad tranny and it sucks for me because I can’t drive it. Even as a salvage I plan on rebuilding the tranny myself as experience. Every time my dad bugged me about not modding it I would get upset but it didn’t stop me from getting lowering springs etc. I knew I would get no money out of it but I loved working on it esp. when my dad would give me a hand. After all that money spent in a salvage I do not regret it. Probably because it’s a nice car with a strait body. I never planned on selling it either. Most of all it is MY car and has sentimental value. And it’s getting to show quality.

To wrap it up just let him know he wont get much out of it and if he understands that and doesn’t mind let him go for it. btw ill try and post pics of mine before and after.

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
Ok so coming from your son’s point of view. I was 15 when I got my first and only mustang, so far. I was going through the same thing your son is. I was excited especially since I was coming from a family of owning 5.0s. Mine was salvaged but no damage and it was all stock 1990 gt, and my dad told me not to put money into it. So I got a paintjob we had ponies I threw them on. Then I ordered carpet, reupholstered the seats, pretty much transformed the car. The whole time I knew I wasn’t going to get any money out of it but kept on adding onto the car for my enjoyment car sits with a bad tranny and it sucks for me because I can’t drive it. Even as a salvage I plan on rebuilding the tranny myself as experience. Every time my dad bugged me about not modding it I would get upset but it didn’t stop me from getting lowering springs etc. I knew I would get no money out of it but I loved working on it esp. when my dad would give me a hand. After all that money spent in a salvage I do not regret it. Probably because it’s a nice car with a strait body. I never planned on selling it either. Most of all it is MY car and has sentimental value. And it’s getting to show quality.

To wrap it up just let him know he wont get much out of it and if he understands that and doesn’t mind let him go for it. btw ill try and post pics of mine before and after.

I just kinda told him about that. But he was like "its cool, I dont plan on selling it anyway". He went on to say "It is my first car, not my last, plus you got it for me dad. That is worth more than any part I can put on the car". Needless to say I almost started crying...lol. Then I manned up and spoke to him like the dad from That 70's Show...hahaha.
94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if he only spends his bread on removeable stuff he is good just keep the stock stuff

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:

I just kinda told him about that. But he was like "its cool, I dont plan on selling it anyway". He went on to say "It is my first car, not my last, plus you got it for me dad. That is worth more than any part I can put on the car". Needless to say I almost started crying...lol. Then I manned up and spoke to him like the dad from That 70's Show...hahaha.
haha yeah thats exactly what we went through although it will still hurt to see the money go onto the salvage for a while. at least it hurt my dad everytime he saw me put money into it but after a while he stopped worrying.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im in the same boat my dad gave me a 66 f100 when i was 15 well really he didnt give it to me i kinda took it anyways it has a salvage and im doing a full restoration.and will never sell it [Big Grin]

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

Sco Cuddie
¯
Member # 6757

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sco Cuddie  Ford pictures for Sco Cuddie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Just curious how far would ya'll go on restoring and fixing up a salvage title fox. I just picked my son up salvaged title LX. He is pretty gung ho about it and has already used his own money to order a carpet kit, lock set and some small stuff. I know there is the pride in ownership and he is using his own earned cash to fix it up (with my help). But I am wondering if at some point I should step in and tell him to stop putting cash into it because of the salvage title?

I think you have to ask your son (and yourself) what the purpose of the car will be. If I was to buy a salvage car simply for transportation, I think I would restrain myself from dumping a huge amount of money into it. Also, I you might want to think on weather your son will want another car in the future. If selling is an option later on in the near future, then I would say to not dump much into it.
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by Big block 66 f100:
im in the same boat my dad gave me a 66 f100 when i was 15 well really he didnt give it to me i kinda took it anyways it has a salvage and im doing a full restoration.and will never sell it [Big Grin]

how old are you now if you dont mind me asking?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Bigjerry916:
My first car/stang lasted 6 months

You did good, my first 5.0 lasted 29 days before I totaled it!!!!
18 year olds don't have ANY business in a 5.0 (at least I didn't)

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com