Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » question about car being impounded

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: question about car being impounded
Saleenssc14
¯
Member # 7791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleenssc14  Ford pictures for Saleenssc14    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i found out my old car got impounded for 30 days because the guy was driving drunk so they took it. is there anything i can do to get the car back?

--------------------
Carlos Munoz

Posts: 1156 | From: Union City | Registered: Jul 2007  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Saleenssc14:
so i found out my old car got impounded for 30 days because the guy was driving drunk so they took it. is there anything i can do to get the car back?

does he still want the car or are you just tring to hog on his shit.

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:
quote:

you can wait the waiting period then they will send you a paper asking if you want to claim it. I think they send this to all previous owners. I got a car back legally this way before.
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like he didn't have a drivers lic.

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:
quote:

LOL @ "hog" on his shit. Never read that before.
djlopez916
¯
Member # 8787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for djlopez916  Ford pictures for djlopez916  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its not your car anymore why would you get it back?

--------------------
89 GT VERT work in progress
05 v6 stang
97 Ford expedition

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your the leinholder or legal owner you can try to get it back. Otherwise wait until the towyard does a lein sale.
Saleenssc14
¯
Member # 7791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleenssc14  Ford pictures for Saleenssc14    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the story is i needed money to support myself while i was going to the academy so i had to sell it.. didnt really have another choice

--------------------
Carlos Munoz

510_SVT
¯
Member # 8705

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510_SVT  Ford pictures for 510_SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If he's the owner he still has some time to get the car back. Once that time is up the tow yard will put it up for sale

--------------------
/96 Cobra/
//87' LX h.c.i//

Posts: 1306 | From: 510EastBay | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
Saleenssc14
¯
Member # 7791

does the guy get exactly 30 days or is there more time?

--------------------
Carlos Munoz

1_raw_95
¯
Member # 9527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1_raw_95  Ford pictures for 1_raw_95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the guy gets 30 days flat after that its up for grabs 2 anyone..
Jesse
¯
Member # 312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse  Ford pictures for Jesse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They usually get over 30 days. Statefarm totaled a vehicle for me, but there were some communications issues with the tow yard. 8 months after it got totaled and the insurance company owned it I got a letter from the tow yard telling me I owed them $4k and I could come pick up my car. I called the insurance company and they took care of it.

Is the car in your name? If not, it'll probably get auctioned off to cover the storage expenses down the road.

Jesse

Posts: 1342 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Saleenssc14
¯
Member # 7791

no the car isnt in my name because i dropped of release of liability but he still hasnt regesiered the car in his name

--------------------
Carlos Munoz

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you know where the car is being stored go talk to them.
Tell them you were the former owner and if the car is not claimed you are interested in purchasing it back once they do a lein sale on it.
Leave them your name and number and tell them to give you a call once it clears.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

totalkaos92
¯
Member # 5750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for totalkaos92  Ford pictures for totalkaos92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
no the car isnt in my name because i dropped of release of liability but he still hasnt regesiered the car in his name

If he has not put the car into his name you can goto the DMV and tell them that you want to cancel the transaction, so yes you can go get the car for what ever fees are owed. He couldnt even get the car being that its not completely in his name, so i would say jump on that shit!!!!!

Thats the advantage of having friends at DMV

Posts: 2175 | From: the bay area | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Musttanguy:
Tell them you were the former owner and if the car is not claimed you are interested in purchasing it back once they do a lein sale on it.
Leave them your name and number and tell them to give you a call once it clears.

this
totalkaos92
¯
Member # 5750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for totalkaos92  Ford pictures for totalkaos92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

this
Thats jus one way to go about it. legally the car his still his because the buyer did not complete the transaction. The tow company will send Carlos the bill when the guy does not pick up the car. Plus like i said the guy cant get the car out until he puts the car into his name
Posts: 2175 | From: the bay area | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by totalkaos92:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

this
Thats jus one way to go about it. legally the car his still his because the buyer did not complete the transaction. The tow company will send Carlos the bill when the guy does not pick up the car. Plus like i said the guy cant get the car out until he puts the car into his name
Not true, once a release of liability has been furnished I was told all legal or physical obligation to the car is forfeited. I had this happen to me too. A tow yard tried to sue me for storage fees but the release of liability saved my buns.
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

this
yes an noif the person can prove he bought it an trys to come get it from the tow yard an it not there an he has the title there is a big chance some going to the pokie.but if the buyer never comes for it your safe
if you know the buyer or have his info ask if going to get it out tell b/c the tow company is going after you

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

this
yes an noif the person can prove he bought it an trys to come get it from the tow yard an it not there an he has the title there is a big chance some going to the pokie.but if the buyer never comes for it your safe
if you know the buyer or have his info ask if going to get it out tell b/c the tow company is going after you

I am pretty sure if you are the registered owner on record the tow yard will give you the car and not ask for a release of liability. But... You put yourself in a unlawful position because you are knowingly committing fraud. Legally they cannot go after you for any money once you have turned in the Release. Likewise you forfeit the flip side. Best route is what Tim said. Any other way you are on some snake shit.
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i sold a car to a buddy he got towed after a high speed chase i just called an ask if still want it or i could go pay the impound fees an get back.an i got back a 4 month later sold back to him

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com