Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Advise on TV's DLP/LCD/Plasma (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Advise on TV's DLP/LCD/Plasma
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for xvt's 85 5.0  Ford pictures for xvt's 85 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm buying a tv soon maybe next friday, now I might spend about 2k on the tv so I want to know, what's better technology in terms of picture quality and reliability and what's a better choice from DLP, LCD, and Plasma, it has to be 1080p since I might pick up a blu-ray player. Thanks

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to circuit city i seen a couple sony bravia lcd 46 + for well within your price range
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xvt's 85 5.0  Ford pictures for xvt's 85 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sears is going to have a 52" Sony Bravia "W" 1080P on sale next friday (blackfriday) for 1,999, I just want to know what's a better buy.

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 46" LCD Sony Bravia and love it. I would definitely wait for Black Friday for some deals. I would go for the LCD. Plasma's eventually burn out. LCD's can be fixed down the road same as the DLP's. I heard that the DLP's are the best technology, but I am not 100%. Good luck.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xvt's 85 5.0  Ford pictures for xvt's 85 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 95GTConvtACE:
I have a 46" LCD Sony Bravia and love it. I would definitely wait for Black Friday for some deals. I would go for the LCD. Plasma's eventually burn out. LCD's can be fixed down the road same as the DLP's. I heard that the DLP's are the best technology, but I am not 100%. Good luck.

That's exactly what I want to know, I think DLP's you have to replace the bulb/lamp every so often, and plasma's bur out. What's the most common thing to wrong with a LCD?

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know about the tech side, but make sure to check out Costco for their selection. I've purchased two Plasmas their in the last two years and I have nothing but great things to say. They were cheaper and when I noticed a piece of trim was loose, they replaced the TV no questions asked. The TV was about $150 cheaper, so they gave me a Costco card worth $150.

[worship] Costco!

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
1989lx5.0
¯
Member # 3699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1989lx5.0  Ford pictures for 1989lx5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a HP media smart 47" lcd, and love it, it has built in wi-fi, i can watch movies on it from my pc, view pics etc etc, hell i am using as a monitor right now as i post [Big Grin]

--------------------
1979 pace car

1985 svo

www.californiafords.com the better calfords

Posts: 552 | From: near fresno | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some lcds have poor side view angles...look out for that.
gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just bought a 56"dlp and its the shit.yeah you have to replace the bulbs every few years but theyre about 125-150 and easy to put in.but at least you can still repair the tv vs. throw it away.

plus now they have led dlp's

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/led_hdtvs.aspx

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdtvs/1958/samsung-hl-s5679w-56-inch-led-dlp-hdtv.html

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

I just got this e-mail from costco.

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePage.aspx?ProductNo=11327643&cm_mmc=BCEmail_358-_-QUAD-_-1-_-LCDTVs

It sucks that sharp's are the worst reviewed Brand. but it's tempting

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2k will get you one of the higher end screens. Honestly between the top brands Samsung, Pioneer, and Sony high end...they used the same panel. Last time I checked they where either manufactured by Sharp or Samsung.

Here is what I think is the low down on tv sets which are decreasing in price and have not bottomed out yet.

Buy a Plasma if you you can control the lighting in your room. Plasmas have a VERY glossy screen and you will get a huge glare in a room with uncontrolled lighting. The whole burn in issue is relatively solved with the new sets. As far as picture quality plasmas still to me produce a the best vivid colors. Plasmas are good with a computer feed but not as good as an LCD.

Buy an LCD if you using it in a room with a lot of light. If you noticed airports, malls, etc all use LCD because it produces a better PQ in lighted areas. LCDs are the best for HTPC usage. Make sure you check for dead pixels on these monitors. PQ is awesome on these sets except for black levels, they are not as deep as plasmas.

DLP is the best bang for the buck for cost per inch. If you want BIG and have the space, DLP is the way to go. The only real drawback is the size and black levels. Still produces an excellent 1080p feed.

With 2k you can't go wrong and you will be happy with any set. Just make sure the set fits your needs and room. And most importantly DO NOT BUY MONSTER CABLES! They are the biggest shame in the world like Bose speakers. They spend all their money on marketing to brain wash people into thinking it's the best. Internally they cost a few dollars to make and are no better than the cheapo rat shack stuff. Shop at monoprice.com for all your brackets and cables. Quality stuff and the best prices you will find anywhere. All the home theatre buffs will attest to it.

Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I purchased a Vizio 50" Plasma from Costco 3 years ago which died 2 weeks ago. Fortunately, I was able to return it under the old lifetime return policy. They handed me a cash card valued around $2200.

I purchased the Sharp 52" 1080P lcd and a Vizio 42" 720P plasma. STAY AWAY from the Sharp lcd!!! The picture quality was shitty through my HD cable box and blu-ray player regardless of settings.

I then returned the Sharp lcd for a Panasonic 50" 1080P plasma and even got some cash back! With the extra cash I picked up an iPod Touch 8GB... haha! I'd recommend the Panasonic over the Sharp hands down.

I agree with Essasin having owned a DLP, LCD and Plasma...

Vizio 50 720P plasma < Panasonic 50 1080P plasma + Vizio 42 720P plasma + iPod Touch 8GB

[ November 20, 2008, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Five Decimal Zero ]

Posts: 972 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Insurance Guy
¯
Member # 8241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insurance Guy  Ford pictures for Insurance Guy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Essasin is right on the money.

also LCD TVs work much better with game systems.

--------------------
01 GT Drop Top (R.I.P.)
02 GT Drop Top (Sold)
17 5.0 GT Coupe

Posts: 597 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

Thanks to all who reply, I was going to buy an LCD but I might go with a DLP just because I have a dark and spacious room, I'm think the one on the link below, because of the great reviews and it looks like no lamp to replace, I just need to replace the hole tv in 13 years.

Samsung TV

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
2k will get you one of the higher end screens. Honestly between the top brands Samsung, Pioneer, and Sony high end...they used the same panel. Last time I checked they where either manufactured by Sharp or Samsung.

Here is what I think is the low down on tv sets which are decreasing in price and have not bottomed out yet.

Buy a Plasma if you you can control the lighting in your room. Plasmas have a VERY glossy screen and you will get a huge glare in a room with uncontrolled lighting. The whole burn in issue is relatively solved with the new sets. As far as picture quality plasmas still to me produce a the best vivid colors. Plasmas are good with a computer feed but not as good as an LCD.

Buy an LCD if you using it in a room with a lot of light. If you noticed airports, malls, etc all use LCD because it produces a better PQ in lighted areas. LCDs are the best for HTPC usage. Make sure you check for dead pixels on these monitors. PQ is awesome on these sets except for black levels, they are not as deep as plasmas.

DLP is the best bang for the buck for cost per inch. If you want BIG and have the space, DLP is the way to go. The only real drawback is the size and black levels. Still produces an excellent 1080p feed.

With 2k you can't go wrong and you will be happy with any set. Just make sure the set fits your needs and room. And most importantly DO NOT BUY MONSTER CABLES! They are the biggest shame in the world like Bose speakers. They spend all their money on marketing to brain wash people into thinking it's the best. Internally they cost a few dollars to make and are no better than the cheapo rat shack stuff. Shop at monoprice.com for all your brackets and cables. Quality stuff and the best prices you will find anywhere. All the home theatre buffs will attest to it.

He's pretty much spot on. The DLP's can be bought cheaper but I've heard from a number of people that the manufacturers are phasing them out because people don't like changing the bulbs.

I just bought a 52" Samsung 1080p LCD. I absolutely love it... especially the Blue Ray through my PS3. I didn't really think much of Blue Ray before I had it but there's a huge difference.

One other thing you'll want to check into on LCD's (I'm not sure about plasmas and DLP's) is the refresh rate. A 60 Hz refresh will be cheaper but a 120 Hz is better and you won't get image drag when you're watching sports or anything with fast motion.

[ November 20, 2008, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: iceman302 ]

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
quote:

He's pretty much spot on. The DLP's can be bought cheaper but I've heard from a number of people that the manufacturers are phasing them out because people don't like changing the bulbs.

I just bought a 52" Samsung 1080p LCD. I absolutely love it... especially the Blue Ray through my PS3. I didn't really think much of Blue Ray before I had it but there's a huge difference.

One other thing you'll want to check into on LCD's (I'm not sure about plasmas and DLP's) is the refresh rate. A 60 Hz refresh will be cheaper but a 120 Hz is better and you won't get image drag when you're watching sports or anything with fast motion.

I been doing a lot of research, and I think the one on my post above is the one for me, it's a DLP but uses LED's so it has no lag and no warm up time, no lamps to change. reviews are really good, the only thing it's a little more expensive than your average DLP. I found the most helpful info. on here

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
avsforum is where i go for answers... good luck on your search!
Posts: 972 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
LS1EATR
¯
Member # 2702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LS1EATR  Ford pictures for LS1EATR  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a 46'' LCD Samsung 1080P and man in HD it looks hella sick realistic, I recommend samsung, [patriot]

--------------------
"IF U CAN SEE MY TAIL LIGHTS
U MUST BE DRIVING A "CHEVY"
NORCALSVTOA
A.E.D
98 Cobra BAB SOLD

Posts: 1193 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
71MercGT
¯
Member # 4305

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 71MercGT  Ford pictures for 71MercGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also a lot of good info on cnet.com reviews. Ive went through two plasmas, this time a keeper. Definitely stay away from anything non name brand. And if I could do it again, I would never have went through Best Buy. After two seperate claims and consumer affairs, etc involved I ended up with a real nice panasonic 1080 plasma hdtv.
BTW All the hype about lcds being better than plasmas for gaming is almost phased out, most plasmas now have a gaming mode that is unbelievable and has done away with all the "burn in" problems
PS3+PLASMA FTW [Big Grin]

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 71MercGT:
also a lot of good info on cnet.com reviews. Ive went through two plasmas, this time a keeper. Definitely stay away from anything non name brand. And if I could do it again, I would never have went through Best Buy. After two seperate claims and consumer affairs, etc involved I ended up with a real nice panasonic 1080 plasma hdtv.
BTW All the hype about lcds being better than plasmas for gaming is almost phased out, most plasmas now have a gaming mode that is unbelievable and has done away with all the "burn in" problems
PS3+PLASMA FTW [Big Grin]

It is great. I think it really comes down to is what type of room you have, if you have the cash to spend and what makes you happy. All the tv set are awesome. Only the super picky HT guys of the avsforums will find something at fault.
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy just bought a LCD from Rent a center, then he moved, changed his cell number and never paid them again. Now its his practically free. I guess his credit's probably jacked up now.
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

quote:
Originally posted by Yaterstang:
My buddy just stole a LCD from Rent a center, then he moved, changed his cell number and never paid them again. Now its his practically free. I guess his credit's probably jacked up now.

fixed

[ November 21, 2008, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: xvt's 85 5.0 ]

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

kast1376
¯
Member # 8499

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kast1376  Ford pictures for kast1376    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 46" DLP that I love. My room is pretty dark and the picture is excellent.

One big thing I have not seen mentioned yet is power consumption. Plasmas are power hogs. The average plasma draws between 4-6 amps, with the larger sizes obviously pulling more.

I am a big fan of the DLP, but if I was going to go flat-screen, a 120hz LCD would be the way to go.

Posts: 189 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive installed alot of tv's ( I do high end custom home intergration) and for the price range you are looking for and quality I would go with the sharp aquos LCD. Great tv especially the new ones they just came out with.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

[worship] [worship] Finally somebody who gets it!

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com