Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » DIESEL GUYS!!!......COME IN!!!! (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: DIESEL GUYS!!!......COME IN!!!!
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have to smog your duramax? I guess a good thing about the 7.3 is that you dont have to smog them, not sure about the newer diesel engines like the 6.4?

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
Do you have to smog your duramax? I guess a good thing about the 7.3 is that you dont have to smog them, not sure about the newer diesel engines like the 6.4?

Nope not that I know of. I think it is for 08 and newer they have to smog. Thats why they all have the regen systems in them. Mine has a cat and that is gona be gone pretty soon.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cummins hands down is the best. Enuff said!

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRS92GT  Ford pictures for WRS92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All of Ford's diesel engines for the past two decades have been manufactured by Navistar (International). Out of all of their production engines the 7.3L 444ci PSD (Powerstroke Diesel) is the best overall powerplant for service life and dependibility.

If you ask a Ford diesel service or a light truck diesel tech what they work on most they will tell you 03 through 07 6.0L PSD's. The VT 365 aka 6.0L encompasses a variable geometry turbine system which can be troublesome at times but the main issue with 6.0L's is they need to have head studs installed if you plan on doing ANYTHING power adder wise aside from intake & exhaust.

7.3's do not like to run anything above 24 to 26psi of boost with a stock intercooler as well. The cooler's themselves have plastic end caps that blow out generally at anything over 28psi. Either a Turbonetics or Banks Technicooler solves that problem.

As for being "fast" Dodge's 05 through 07 5.9L Cummins diesels were/are the fastest production diesel pickup off the dealership lot. They run 15 flat completely stock for a 7,300 pound 3/4 ton pickup. As for 6.0L's being faster or slower than 7.3L's......I have found most 6.0L's struggling to keep up with my rig actually. If you build a 7.3 correctly you can have a dependable, quick daily driver that can get you 17 to 19mpg.

My particular setup is:
01 7.3L PSD Crew Cab FX4
117,XXX miles
6.5" Pro-Comp suspension lift with MX-6 shocks
37" X-Terrains
Mag Hytec diff covers (front & rear) & tranny pan
Fully built 4R100 transmission by Jim @ ATO
Airaid Quickfit intake system
ATS turbine housing (surge eliminator)
Banks Trans-Command module
3:55 gear ratio
Silverline 4" turboback exhaust
DP Tuner F5 16 position chip with Stock, 1,100 High Idle, 80 Econo & 140 Race tunes.

I average around 14mpg in the city and highway I see as high as 18mpg on average. Not too bad for being on 37"s.

However with owning a diesel you will pay more for EVERYTHING. 7.3L's used the modified version of the E4OD aka 4R100 which suck ass until they are built to handle the torque levels most people put into their rigs. The average cost for a fully built tranny including converter, fluids & pan will run you anywhere between $4,500 and $6,000 for a quality tranny that can easily handle 1,000 foot pounds of torque all day long. 7.3's also do not run on a "common rail" injection system, instead they use a high pressure oil pump system to regulate injection pressure to your injectors. The average tuned HPOP will run you anywhere from $1,600 up to $2,500.

All in all I have no regrets about my rig. It's by far the best vehicle I've EVER owned. The only downside is the current cost of fuel, which will eventually go back down in the long run.

Some other things about 7.3's:
Average lifespan of engine is around 400,000 before you would need to do a tear down and rebuild kit.
Anywhere between $15K and $20K is fair priced for an 01 through 03 7.3L in good condition. You mentioned that the F series trucks used leafs all around. That is true and it can be uncomfortable if you're used to plush riding cars. However you can offset that with higher end shocks like Fab Tech's Dirt Logic 2.0's, King, Fox or MX-6's. If you want an IFS diesel you should look at an LBZ (06/07.5) Chevy/GMC Duramax.

Posts: 455 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRS92GT  Ford pictures for WRS92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
dang....theres some info here!!

how ould the 6.0 cummins compare to the 6.0 PSD???

There is no such Cummins diesel. There are either 5.9L Cummins which came in 12V from 94 through 98, 24V from 98 through 02, 24V Common Rail Injection from 03 through 07 and the current 6.7L Bluetec Cummins diesel engine.

If you want raw power with a virtually indestructible engine go find yourself a 97 or 98 12V Dodge Cummins.

Also some names to remember if you end up going the Navistar 7.3L route:

John Woods Transmission of Holtville California
BTS Transmission
Jim @ ATO Transmission locally in Rancho Cambodia
Jody @ DP Tuner based out of Georgia
FASS fuel system
ISSPRO or Di Pricol gauge sets
Google search for "Zoodad" mod as well
Swapping out the 7.3L tranny cooler for a 6.0L tranny cooler
Terminator Engineering for HPOP's

--------------------
01 F250 PSD Crew 4X4

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'- Good to know man, thanks!

WRS92GT- Thanks for adding that great info!

Cummins- No, were not talking about cummins (the person), we're talking about the motor. haha!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ May 21, 2008, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: WIKD 281 ]

--------------------

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:

Cummins- No, were not talking about cummins (the person), we're talking about the motor. haha!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Well in that case, both cummins are hands down the best!!!!! [Smile]

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

[patriot]

--------------------

NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've also heard great things about DP Tuner for the 7.3L! all the guys on the ford trucks forum swear by his tunes! he tunes the chip to your specific truck and not just a generic tune.

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WRS92GT:
The only downside is the current cost of fuel, which will eventually go back down in the long run.

How do you figure? I'm looking at a diesel myself, and cost to cost, I think it would work itself out. They hold their resale value better even though they may cost a little more. Mileage and power appears to be a plus too.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well Scott,i gotta point out that you say your getting over "sports cars" but your talking about hopping up your diesel if you pick one up.
The go-fast bug never goes away does it!LOL!

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
Cummins hands down is the best. Enuff said!

im a die hard for guy thats never owned anything but a ford,but sorry to say this, cummins is right. dodge has to be the best diesel out there

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WIKD 281

We basically have the same set up, except I have a slightly larger 6.0 intercooler.

Would you reccomend the gear swap? I currently have 3.73's with a 35" tire.

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
WIKD 281

We basically have the same set up, except I have a slightly larger 6.0 intercooler.

Would you reccomend the gear swap? I currently have 3.73's with a 35" tire.

If you tow anything at all I wouldn't go anything less than a 3:55 with a 35" tire. There are things you can do to compensate for the sluggish low end if you swapped gears such as throwing on a Wicked Wheel, a DP chip and have Jody adjust your shift points for 3:55's on 35"s and finally install a gear vendor (splits your forward gears just like a big rig basically).

Ford PCM's on 99 through 03 7.3's sucked in 95% of all trucks shifting wise. Even the best E4OD/4R100 builder in the nation (John Woods) has told me numerous times that you can build a stage III tranny built to handle well over 1,500rwtq and it will still shift like shit because Ford's programing is designed to spare your converter's lifespan when under heavy acceleration by shifting like this....

1...2...LOCKUP and basically falls on it's own face

instead of......

1.....2.....3......4......Lockup

Jody @ DP can adjust for this to an extent but it's still shitty when compared to a Dodge 48RE or a Allison 1000 shift pattern.

Also running a Mag-Hytec or PML deep tranny pan honestly doesn't do shit other than allow you to add more ATF. John Woods has stated that he found it no different than a stock pan other than it took about 20 minutes longer to reach operating temp HOWEVER it took an extra hour to cool off due to the additional 8 quarts of ATF.

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My truck has a DP Tuner 6 pos. chip, and a upgraded turbo housing. Jody set all my shift points to work with my mods, and the Factory Tech valvebody I have. I was thinking about gears as an option, right up there with a fully built trans, exhaust brake, Big Oil, and Big Fuel... maybe some day?
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com