Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » DIESEL GUYS!!!......COME IN!!!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: DIESEL GUYS!!!......COME IN!!!!
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so. ive been slowly getting over these "sports cars" that pepole call mustangs...lol.

and ive been serioulsy considering a truck. being a ford guy i like the F250's. one truck i am considering right now is an 03 250, 4x4, 125k miles, 7.3 PSD, and that year is all leafs and still has cross over steering with a true straight axle up front.

this is the way its been explained to me.

6.0's are box stock pretty fast trucks, but with that you get reliablity issues and they're tempermental

7.3's, tride and true bullet proof reliable, alothough very powerful, not nearly as "fast" as a 6.0......but they have more potential due to the obvious bigger motor.

i would just like to get your opinion on the metioned truck ( 03' 4x4, 7.3PSD, 125k miles, lariat, for $19,000) 6" lift on 37's very clean. mbrp 4" turbo back, AFE 2 intake.

and also give me some info on diesels in general, mileage, fuel prices at the moment, or even if i have no buisness owning one...lol. ALSO, the truck in question has the full exhaust and intake and ive already looked into "custom" chips (not a mass produced tune) will the 7.3 still be "slow" with these mods compared to a 6.0??

Thanks!

Discuss.......

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All I can say is with the current price of deisel fuel @ around $4.70 a gallon, your not gonna like the filling that huge tank up & getting 12-16 mpg....F250's are nice though, but u will miss your stang after driving 1 for a while....

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car gets 14 mpg anyway....

i got T-birds and shit to!! member?? lol

and as you know i just got my car back last week after not having it for a month....i really didnt miss it too much...... [Confused]

tired of racing, breaking stuff, and theres always someone faster.

[ May 18, 2008, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: RED@7kVERT *8850GT* ]

--------------------
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
6.0 engines don't like a lot of boost. We have trucks coming in with blown head gaskets from overboost concerns (60+ psi). Some guys get away with it, most don't.
7.3 engines will handle just about anything that you throw at them - boost, propane, nitrous, etc. within reason. The weak link will be the 4R100 tranny with a 7.3, but only if you drive it like a moron - keep the trans fluid cool and they don't have major issues. There are options out there for cheaper fuel and with the cheaper fuel comes better mileage, but I'm not talking about biodiesel. Don't get caught running anything but #2 diesel (some people have been stopped at roadside fuel test checks), word has it that the fines are steep.
Edge makes a good product for any PSD, and lets you monitor what's going on also. A chip doesn't make it as easy to watch exhaust temps and boost without adding a gauge pod.

*edit* we have guys at work that get over 20mpg with modded 7.3's

Just my $.02

[ May 18, 2008, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: BlueOvalRacing ]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I picked up an '01 2WD SWB F350 PSD in November with 120K on it for $8K. Fleet truck. Lots of big companies use these trucks & now don't have the work load & man power to use them. So they go up for sale.

It came with a cold air kit already installed.
In that form it was getting 17mpg avg city/highway mix.
The truck was SLOW!

I installed a 5" turbo back exhaust, Edge w/juice programmer & modified the wastegate actuator for more boost. Milage dropped ~.5mpg avg.
I also added an SCT X-cal with my own custom programming for better shift points & a few other mileage mods.

I then swapped out the 3.73's for 3.08's & gained 2/3mpg (city/hwy) and the truck is no longer *slow*. It keeps up with 6.0L PSDs no problem.

I've been working on other mods for milage & am now averaging right around 20mpg avg.

But at the current price of diesel, the best way to save $$$ on fuel is to not drive! LOL

Cost per mile for fuel is twice what my wife gets in her grocery getter 30mpg car that runs on 87.

Also take into consideration I have a 2wd shortbed with no power options. It's probably 1000lbs lighter than the average 4wd PSD.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To keep the 4R100 alive you just need to make sure the trany fluid doesn't overheat.
For this I swapped to John Deere hydrualic oil. *Racers* secret when running 1500+hp through 4R70W's. It burns at a MUCH higher temp than standard trany fluid.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

BLUEOVAL,

you work for OV Diesel??

--------------------
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _

svt306snake
¯
Member # 1967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt306snake  Ford pictures for svt306snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
got my 07 f20 and love it only have 12xxx miles and will continue to drive no matter cost of gas. freeway travel is excellent

--------------------
F*** TPS MOTORSPORTS F *** TPS MOTORSPORTS THEY SUCK ASS

TEAM TRUE FORGED X 2 SPONSORED

CAPITAL MUSTANG C.C.

Posts: 5841 | From: SACRAMENTO "916" YA KNOW | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the price is a bit high. Its not bad but try to get it lowered specially since car buisness is bad and no one is looking at diesels I sold a 2004 fully loaded extended cab with the same lift tires except it has 20" rims I would have rate it 11 out of 10 it had 80k miles for about 24k

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
BLUEOVAL,

you work for OV Diesel??

Nope, Future Ford
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an 02 7.3 and love it! The most MPG I have logged is 22. Now, with 35's, AFE stage 2 intake, MBRP 4" exhaust, and a DP Tuner 6 position chip I avarage around 18 or so. DP Tuner is by far the best chip you can get for the 7.3. I would stay away from early 6.0's and especially the 03! My truck moves quite well for it's size, and pulls like a freight train. I would suggest going for a ride in a modded truck, and see what you think. I use mine to tow a 28' enclosed car trailer, loaded down weigs about 12K, and I can roll the tires off from a dead stop with 3;73's and 35" tires. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Right now is the time to buy one... no one wants to pay the fuel bill when the tank is empty.

[ May 18, 2008, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Eek!]

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
Right now is the time to buy one... no one wants to pay the fuel bill when the tank is empty.

Is it really the right time to buy one? I saw diesel at $4.91 the other day [Eek!] I guess if you're going to tow, then yes... but for a DD? Been thinking about this myself. I found a truck but I'm not quite sure if it's worth it at the moment.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tow something large with a 5.4, or other gas motor, and see what kind of MPG's you pull down.

If you are going to buy a diesel, you are buying towing power and resale value... along with a truck that will last well over 300K if maintained properly.

People are selling them cheaper as the price of fuel goes up... if you want one, now is the time, just be prepared for the fuel bill. I will pay it, and never go back to a gas truck, but that's just me.

NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love my 2000 F250 7.3L but with my short trips to work and school, i get around 11mpg average. just took a trip to lake mcclure last weekend, towed my jetski and all my camping gear and got an average of 14.9mpg. they're great trucks and the 7.3 is a bulletproof motor. But right now i'm definitely looking to get a daily driver. diesel seems to be going up .15 cents a week. I put it up on craigslist and even on here to see what i could get for it and got no bites at 17,000. and mine only has 92,000 miles on it, 4 inch lift, 35s, exhaust and cold air intake.

so yes, its a good time to buy it because guys like me get desperate to sell because of high fuel prices, and i don't need a diesel because i'm not towing anything besides a jetski and throwing my dirtbike in the back of the truck.

as far as the tranny, you can buy a deep tranny pan that adds more fluid to keep it cool as well as swapping in a 6.0L tranny cooler which is bigger than the stock tranny cooler. and there are several companies that will rebuild it and upgrade it to better handle the power.

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
6.0 engines don't like a lot of boost. We have trucks coming in with blown head gaskets from overboost concerns (60+ psi). Some guys get away with it, most don't.
7.3 engines will handle just about anything that you throw at them - boost, propane, nitrous, etc. within reason. The weak link will be the 4R100 tranny with a 7.3, but only if you drive it like a moron - keep the trans fluid cool and they don't have major issues. There are options out there for cheaper fuel and with the cheaper fuel comes better mileage, but I'm not talking about biodiesel. Don't get caught running anything but #2 diesel (some people have been stopped at roadside fuel test checks), word has it that the fines are steep.
Edge makes a good product for any PSD, and lets you monitor what's going on also. A chip doesn't make it as easy to watch exhaust temps and boost without adding a gauge pod.

*edit* we have guys at work that get over 20mpg with modded 7.3's

Just my $.02

I didn't know there were laws against running alternative fuels [Confused]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

"Farm Grade" diesel is cheaper... it is died red, and the fines for running it on the street can be costly.
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
"Farm Grade" diesel is cheaper... it is died red, and the fines for running it on the street can be costly.

I think if you get caught running red dye, you could also be labeled as a tax evader.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

We get trucks in once in a while with red fuel, we are supposed to void their diesel warranty if we find it.

But... if a truck is out of warranty, there are other cheaper, although every bit as illegal, options for fuel, and some people are able to spend $0.00 for this fuel (and it doesn't smell like french fries or fish).

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great topic guys! I think were getting a little off topic tho. Sorry, but I created another thread for the alternative fuels so hopefully some people can help in getting us some better fuel prices!

Back to the original posted topic:
I have an 02 PSD (power stroke diesel) for those that dont know what PSD means.
If your not really towing much then I would think the Ford F-150 would be a better choice. With a super crew F-150 and the 5.4 I get around 14.5 city and freeway average. It will tow my Jeep on the trailer which is about 7000 pounds with ease. Problem is when I do that, the gas mileage goes to shit. The F-150 will have a much nicer ride because of the softer suspension but will never have the pulling grunt and torque of a diesel. The F-150 is easier to live with for everyday driving because its slightly smaller. Now if you want the availablitly to tow much heavier loads, toying with power options such as programmers-chips-exhaust and dialing in more horesepower and torque than a diesel is fun [patriot] As well as lifting as high as you want, you will probably like the diesel more. The F-250's are easier to lift because of the solid front axle.

As far as the 7.3 vs. 6.0 thing.
I have had a couple problems with my 7.3. One small thing I cant remember exactly and the major problem that is known is the CPS (cam positioning sensor) is pronce to going out. I have about 70,000 miles on my rig now and I have went thru one. (I do carry one spare in my glove box tho.)

The 6.0 I have heard of a lot of problems with the turbo, injectors, and tuning. I have heard that Ford and international have figured out most of the problems, but I wouldnt hesitate to buy an extended warranty if I were to buy a 6.0.

I would strongly recommend going down to the dealership and test driving both if you get a chance. Everyone can say their opinion but its your own that truly matters [Big Grin] Whatever is going to make you happy, thats what you gotta do [patriot]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

The cam position sensor is a known issue, and Ford has recently put out a recall to swap it out for a new one for free. The grey colored ones seem to be the issue. I too carry one in my glove box, cheap part if you buy from the right place.

Very minor compared to the 6.0's. Every vehicle has it's issues, but the 7.3 has been around for some time, and most of the problems are sorted out.

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, I agree. Every motor will have its issues. Another problem I experienced was the wire that goes down thru the steering column shorted out. Its the wire for the shut off/on the overdrive on the shift lever.

Oh, I just read back thru the origianl post and you asked about a modded 7.3 keeping up with the 6.0. That is a hard thing to do. The problem is that the 7.3 is kinda pre-historic. Yes, it is a good running motor and has lots of power, but, the 7.3 in 2002 in my truck has 250 hp and 550 ft/lbs of tq. (or maybe it was 500?) With a chip you can only go soo much before you reach the limit of the fuel system. I have on my truck the DP tuner chip, Beans diesel turbo housing, AFE intake, wicked wheel, Full 4" mbrp exhaust, 4:56 gears, and a John Wood valve body. With these mods I am limited with the fuel system. I would have to do whats called Big Oil which would allow me to run the higher position chip settings and more boost. The important thing with diesels is watching your EGT's. This means exhaust gas temperatures. EGT's are like kinda like listening to detonation on a gas motor. [Big Grin]
When a diesel is modded it gives you more horespower yes, but at the same time the egt's will climb quickly and you dont want to stay too high of temp. for long because you can cause engine damage and/or turbo damage. From the research I have done over at The diesel stop (which I have found to be a great place to learn about diesels) that the 7.3 modded will keep up or slightly beat a stock 6.0. The 6.0 is much more advanced even tho a smaller motor. I asked that question there and most agreed its like like comparing apples to apples because of the technology that is in the new motors. Making a 6.0 motor put out and sustain more horsepower than a larger 7.3. The 6.0 will be faster than the 7.3 most of the time either stock or modded, thats just the way it is.
Hope this helps!
Harold.

[ May 21, 2008, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: WIKD 281 ]

--------------------

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

dang....theres some info here!!

how ould the 6.0 cummins compare to the 6.0 PSD???

--------------------
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Hmmmmm. Not sure?
Many people like the cummins. I dont know much about it because I have always been happy with my Ford. I have heard that the cummins is very mod friendly. It reacts very well to boost and is a very solid platform for building big horsepower. Same thing with the chevy duramax. Out of the box its some serious power, but, I have heard of the horrors with both motor from injectors to turbo problems. Im not sure which one would be faster stock, but, who leaves anything stock anymore? [Big Grin]

--------------------

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had my 7.3 for aabout 4.5 years now. Great motor but for sure old technology. I ran two programers with 4inch exhaust and a intake. It was 2wd and it screamed. It would keep up with stock 6.0's. I just retired it and got an 06 Duramaz LBZ motor. It is completly stock and will rip the dually rear no problem. The Allison 1000 6spd auto is awesome and shifts perfectly. It is also damn quite. When I start up my 7.3 I can't believe how loud and annoying that thing is. I pulled about 25k today with the duramax and had no problem at all!

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com