Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » slow computer

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: slow computer
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know we got some good computer people on here and im not all that good just can type and click haha but my sisters DELL dimension E310 computer is really slow it wont even play you tube videos all the way thru or anything and takes forever to load pages so anyone know how to clean these things up ?
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the easy way is to just re install windows.

tech service 2 u is a good company in sacramento that can clean it up for pretty cheap

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mustanghp950:
the easy way is to just re install windows.

tech service 2 u is a good company in sacramento that can clean it up for pretty cheap

That would be the VERY last two option to do.

Try this first:

Download/Install
1.Antivir
2. Adaware
3. Spyware
4. CCleaner

Make sure you get all updates on each program. Restart computer and push F8 from beginning, until you see the option "SAFE MODE". Run all 4 programs one by one (in safe mode) and see what comes up. Restart computer after you ran all programs and then see how it runs. Try that first and then comeback and tell us how it's running. You can download all of them at DOWNLOADS.COM. If you sisters computer takes too long to download. Try downloading from another computer and put the programs on a thumbdrive and place the thumbdrive on your sisters computer and install from there.

[ May 15, 2008, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1. click on start
2. click on RUN
3. type in MSCONFIG
4. select the radio button "SELECTIVE STARTUP"
5. UNCHECK LOAD STARTUP ITEMS
6. click on the "SERVICES" tab on the top
7. on the bottom click on "HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES"
8. After hide all MS services has been checked, UNCHECK EVERY SINGLE ITEM on the box in the middle.

click APPLY, click OK and reboot machine.

If that helps then keep it that way, disabling some startup stuff may cause some downloaded items not to run when you turn your machine on but it should be OK

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also if you dont want to download spyware stuff

goto

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Online free scanner, its more effective in safe mode, you can get into safe mode by following the steps in first reply..

But use SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING so you get access to the internet while in safe mode.

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
re-installing windows is a last ditch effort.

Also after you have done what is suggested above. Uninstall any useless or non-used programs. Then run a disk-cleanup and then a disk defragment. I am also guess your C: drive is maxxed out? Alot of people's whose computers I fix have maxxed out HDD and they are fragmented as hell. On top of the issues with spyware and malware. Also a good product is crap cleaner (C Cleaner), it gets rid of un-used files and bad registry entries. Also going forward, invest in a external hdd (assuming you dont have one already) and keep your junk files on there

Good Luck

Oh and the youtube issue could be a faulty flash player. DOes it stop in the same place on all youtube videos? Usually installing the flash player and re-installing cures that.

This link is your best friend:
http://www.filehippo.com/

[ May 15, 2008, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: N8 ]

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your ever in fairfield let me know. i can get it up n runnin.

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks guys im trying all of this stuff right now.
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

i downloaded the ccleanup , but im not sure how to run the disk defragment or disk cleanup
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think the defrag and cleanup are under start menu, all programs, accessories, system tools. you'll find them in there. Defrag i think you have to have all of the programs turned off, but someone correct me here if that is not the case.
Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DONT USE THE ORIGINAL DEFRAG. IT SUCKS, DOWNLOAD DISKEEPER. I USE SPYWAREDOCTOR, CC, AND REGISTRYMECHANIC

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com