Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » sold car long ago... still in my name!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: sold car long ago... still in my name!
TheDavemeister
¯
Member # 2521

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheDavemeister  Ford pictures for TheDavemeister  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I sold my 88 LX quite a while ago, and it turns out the guy that bought it never put it in his name. I found out when the DMV garnished my wages for delinquent registration. The money thing bugs me, but I'm completely willing to let it slide. I just want the damn car out of my name. I tried to file a release of liability, but they said I need the buyer's info, and I can't for the life of me find my copy of the paper I had the guy sign. Any advice?

--------------------
SOLD:White 88 LX hatchback
Now I drive a '92 S10 and am hating life

Posts: 28 | From: Santa Rosa/Rohnert Park, Ca | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should have turned in the release of liability, now you have to track him down to get it taken care of most likely. Did they actually take the money from you or just threaten it? I didn't register my truck and they sent me a letter but never did anything about it. It was almost a year out when I paid it. good luck.....

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
TheDavemeister
¯
Member # 2521

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheDavemeister  Ford pictures for TheDavemeister  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As I said, they garnished my wages. Meaning the DMV had some sort of state debt collector contact my employer and intercept my pay and take the delinquent amount.

well this freakin' blows. Does anybody know if I can somehow put a red flag on the car... meaning, if a cop runs his plates, he can pull him over and say "there's an ownership issue with this car, you need to go get this car in your name"

--------------------

TheDavemeister
¯
Member # 2521

I think it had been sold a few years before I found out

--------------------

302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know what you mean i got a parking ticket sent to my house and i didn't even own my vehichle anymore.Idiots don't know how to register the car in their damn name.And i got stuck paying for someone elses ticket.

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

mikeP
¯
Member # 4489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeP  Ford pictures for mikeP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you should report it stolen then since the dummy doesnt want to swap his name.....

--------------------
91 vert lx 5.0, 68 CS, 69 BB nova

TheDavemeister
¯
Member # 2521

If anybody knows of the car, please let me know. Last I saw it, it was in the Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa area. It's a white(with black moldings) '88 LX hatchback sitting on chrome Cobra Rs or possibly turbines(I gave him both sets). Plate #(if it's still on there) is 88LX50.

--------------------

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TheDavemeister:
As I said, they garnished my wages. M

I wasn't sure if they took the money or threatened to. They just threatened me with it but never did anything. I guess if I had waited 2 years they would have just taken it. That's the reason you really need to send that release of liability in when the car is sold, then they'll bug him for it. I'd go to DMV and tell them that you sold it then sent the release in.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Contact the DMV Sacramento office. You will need to remember the year that you sold the vehicle. There is a form that you have to fill out and send in to them along with $20.00. It takes about 3 weeks turn around time. I had to do this because I sold a car and filed the release of liability but they never updated the DMV records so when it was towed by a tow company they queried DMV and it still showed me as the registered owner (DMV was and still is back logged) so they sent me the tow bill, which I ignored and it ended up on my credit.

I took care of it and got it cleared but it was a hassle and took 3 weeks to get the DMV paperwork back.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
requesting the release of liability wont work if you never submitted it. but if you did then thats the best bet. if you didnt then you will need to find some documentation with the new owners name, address, and sell date. once you have that info you can show it to franchise tax board and see about getting your money back. as far as the DMV you need to send in that release of liability with the sale date and the new owners name. but you will have to do all the footwork as the departments not going to track anybody down.

[ February 18, 2008, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: 50 Deep ]

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com