Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 7.9 earthquake hits Peru... Are WE ready?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 7.9 earthquake hits Peru... Are WE ready?
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
----------------------------------------------------

Hundreds Die in Powerful Peruvian Quake

LIMA, Peru (Aug. 16) -- The death toll from a powerful earthquake rose to at least 387 Thursday, a day after the magnitude-8.0 temblor rocked Peru's coast, toppled buildings and shattered roads, officials said.
More than 827 people were reported injured and the Red Cross said the toll was expected to rise.

An AP Television News cameraman who reached the city of Chincha, about 100 miles southeast of Lima, said he counted 30 bodies under bloody sheets on the patio of the badly damaged hospital.

About 200 people were waiting to be treated at the hospital, whose walls were cracked by the quake.

"Our services are saturated and half of the hospital has collapsed," said Dr. Huber Malma, who was trying desperately to treat dozens of patients on his own.

Patients who were in the hospital at the time of the quake were taken outside for fear that aftershocks could cause furthrt damage to their wards.

Doctors treated the injured in cots laid on walkways and in gardens outside the hospital building.

Large areas of Chincha were leveled. Dozens of homes, most of them built with adobe bricks, had collapsed.

Rescue workers struggled to reach the center of the destruction, the port city of Pisco about 125 miles southeast of the capital, Lima. Pisco's mayor said at least 200 people were buried in the rubble of a church where they had been attending a service.

"The dead are scattered by the dozens on the streets," Mayor Juan Mendoza told Lima radio station CPN.

"We don't have lights, water, communications. Most houses have fallen, churches, stores, hotels, everything is destroyed," he said, sobbing.

Another church collapsed Wednesday evening in the city of Ica, 165 miles south of Lima, killing 17, according to cable news station Canal N.

The government rushed police, soldiers, doctors and aid to the stricken areas along the coast south of the capital but hundreds of vehicles were paralyzed on the Pan American Highway by giant cracks in the pavement and fallen power lines, the AP Television News cameraman reported from Chincha.

Giorgio Ferrario, head of the Peruvian International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, said teams from the Peruvian Red Cross arrived in Ica and Pisco after 7 1/2 hours, about three times as long as it would normally have taken because the earthquake had destroyed the roads to these areas.

He said that he expected the death toll to climb as rescue teams worked in the daylight.

-----------------------------------------------

What do you guys think? are we ready to deal with a major earthquake in the bay area? how are you preparing your home for the next big one?

This was just an eye opener for me, and i'm into earthquake alertness mode.
I doubled my supply of water, cash, battery's, canned food...
are you guys concerned at all?

--------------------
=(

graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can be prepared. No point in worrying about something over which you have no control.
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shit, i finally got a hold of my family in Peru, since phone lines were down all night last night, and they say that my older sister was in the epicenter. Noone knows if she's ok. My dad traveled to Ica(epicenter) but can't get through cause the freaking main bridge that goes there collapsed.
[Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
=(

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your chances are greater that you'll be killed in a car accident (1 in 100) than die than a earthquake (1 in 132,000). I don't think it's time to panic just yet...

Hope all your family is safe in Peru!!

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Your chances are greater that you'll be killed in a car accident (1 in 100) than die than a earthquake (1 in 132,000). I don't think it's time to panic just yet...

Hope all is well with your family. I'll say a prayer for them. [patriot]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
speaking of which, anybody feel that jolt 2 nights ago around midnight? thought my tv was gonna fall over.. sucks to hear about the people in peru.

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CLEEN 50:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

Hope all is well with your family. I'll say a prayer for them. [patriot]
i will say a prayer for your family and everyone in peru as well.

The fact of the mater is that we cant go around being worried about this kind of stuff all the time. The infrastructure here in the U.S. is obviously better than a third world country such as Peru. I feel safe in my work building and home, but damn an 8.0 would scare the crap out of me.

being prepared for these things mainly means, having food and water at your home for at least 48 hours, flashlights, first aid, and any meds that you might need.

Again my prayers go out to those who perished in peru, but unfortunately science has not found a way to detect earthquakes.

--------------------
R.I.P. 89 LX Sold the 90 Vert,
I bring the Amber Lamps!!!
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope your family is doing ok.

and to answer your question, no the Bay area isn't prepared for a major earthquake, if the delta gets damaged and seawater mixes with the freshwater it will shut down california completely since 60% of the water Southern California gets comes from the Delta. I had to do a report on some earthquake book for my government class last semester and California isn't prepared at all.

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

ok, so all of my family members are accounted for except my sister.
My grandma, early 90s, was taking a nap and didn't wake up during the quake. Guess it's better that way cause she suffers from hyper tension and could have easily had a heart attack.
As far as i know my dad took his lifted 4x4 and is going to ica to look for my sister.

we are just so concerned because although nothing major happened in the capital about 100miles from the epicenter. Ica's infrastructure is really 3rd worldly. Many houses are said to have collapsed including churches and hospitals...
Guess we won't know anything until they get back.

--------------------
=(

Lady GT
¯
Member # 4894

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady GT  Ford pictures for Lady GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hope all your family is safe in Peru!! [/qb][/QUOTE]Hope all is well with your family. I'll say a prayer for them. [patriot] [/QB][/QUOTE]

+1 we r definately waiting our turn for our next big one

--------------------
www.myspace.com/miss02gt

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry to hear about your sister Jersey, hope that she is ok and my prayers goes out to your family.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hope your sis is OK. My fiancee is from Arequipa, nothing much happened down that far south and her family is all OK. Sounds like Pisco got flattened though.
El Caballo
¯
Member # 6355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Caballo  Ford pictures for El Caballo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What I think is that, I hope we get an earthquake soon!, cuz the longer it takes the harder it is no? [Confused]

I hope ur sis is ok too..

--------------------
..Bottled Ls6 C4 In Progress..
..slow 08 silverado...
..SVT4Ls7-rip...
: RevengE Is ThE SweetesT MothA F@kN TastE!!!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com