Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 306 or 347 Cid (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 306 or 347 Cid
BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 1993 GT. What say you as far as a new motor goes. Its not a daily driver. Week ends and 2 time's to So Cal a year. I want smog legal and streetable. It currently has a 302 with a vortech S trim, 30 LB injectors 70mm t body. Thanks for reading.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
347 based on a good block, not a stock block.

keep it on the "smog legal" fence.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Once you go with a 347, you will never again be able to go back to a lower stroke. There is no way to describe the blast you will get out of the torque produced by a 347 stroker motor. You can't beat a 347. It will ruin all other motors for you.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could even go with a 331 but might as well get some extra cubes and get a 347. I think whatever you do don't get a 306, not really enough power difference to be worth it.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep in mind, when going to a 347 it uses a 28oz balance so you will need to replace things like the balancer. A 331 uses the same 50oz balance so you won't have to replace anything more.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangNate:
Keep in mind, when going to a 347 it uses a 28oz balance so you will need to replace things like the balancer. A 331 uses the same 50oz balance so you won't have to replace anything more.

Thats new info to me since I run 28 on my 331.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

When I ordered my kits I had to specify balance and rear main seal configuration.

You can also get internally balanced but that is big money, usually.

--------------------

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not drop a 351 windsor in there?

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some guys like small blocks. I'm one of them. Small blocks are lighter than big blocks and when bored and stroked, a 347 can make more power than a 351. Fits better too.

--------------------

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool. Who would you reccomend? Would I still be able to use the S trim, or would I need it? My car is a five speed, the stock T-5, will I need to swap that out as well? Would it be smogable?

--------------------

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

I run a Vortech SQ-trim at 12psi in my 93 Cobra with a 347, never had any problems and I've been running that setup for years. I have the original stock T-5 and it works fine.

Regarding choices of 347 motors, I'm sure a lot of people will have recommendations. I've had 2 347 motors custom built, and I will never go that road again. Too many problems with the build and the builders don't back up their work when you have too many problems. I'll go with a crate motor next time and be sure to get a warranty.

[ August 09, 2007, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: BCINGUU ]

--------------------

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX':
quote:

Buddy of mine runs a 50 on his 331? Maybe I'm wrong? Just go by what I've seen, that's why I always encourage people to get other opinions/input besides mine. [Smile]

Now I have to go on a mission of reading and web searching lol. Thanks for settin' me straight! [patriot]

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX':
quote:

Buddy of mine runs a 50 on his 331? Maybe I'm wrong? Just go by what I've seen, that's why I always encourage people to get other opinions/input besides mine. [Smile]

Now I have to go on a mission of reading and web searching lol. Thanks for settin' me straight! [patriot]

You can get either.

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
Some guys like small blocks. I'm one of them. Small blocks are lighter than big blocks and when bored and stroked, a 347 can make more power than a 351. Fits better too.

Not to bag on you, you have a beautiful garage!, but a 351 windsor is a small block.

Even a stroked 351 (408) is still a small block.

I dont think you are speaking of a windsor motor.

..just FYI not trying to be a know it all punk.

--------------------

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BCINGUU:
[qb]351 windsor is a small block.

that is correct [patriot]
J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bill just get a 347 crate motor, and ditch the blower and sell it to me [Razz]

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Jason,

You will never have my polished S Trim....

--------------------

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:

Not to bag on you, you have a beautiful garage!, but a 351 windsor is a small block.

I dont think you are speaking of a windsor motor.

..just FYI not trying to be a know it all punk.

I have a 408...but it's not stroked. Oh wait...it's not a ford motor either [Smile]

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlownNOSMustang:
Jason,

You will never have my polished S Trim....

[Big Grin]

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can I use my exsisting "S" trim vortech on the new motor? (347) Cid?
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say so, i dont see why you wouldn't be able to, that what iam planning on doing.

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Sure, if you build the motor to be blower friendly. I think you will probably have serious traction issue with that setup. If you want to stick with the blower consider a 331. You will be able to make plenty of power with that motor and an S-trim.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

If You are staying with a stock block then Why would You want a stroker with a S trim? 306 makes enough power to break a stock block. I have 306 with S trim & stockblock with around 600 fwhp and all I can say is it's a ticking time bomb! If You are going stroked and blown then You have to at least go with a sportsman block IMO. It would suck to drop 3-4k on a stroker and blow it up rite after.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Windsor FTW! [patriot]

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
WickedStang
¯
Member # 7692

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedStang  Ford pictures for WickedStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:

If You are staying with a stock block then Why would You want a stroker with a S trim? 306 makes enough power to break a stock block. I have 306 with S trim & stockblock with around 600 fwhp and all I can say is it's a ticking time bomb! If You are going stroked and blown then You have to at least go with a sportsman block IMO. It would suck to drop 3-4k on a stroker and blow it up rite after.
Yyp been there done that...LOL I had a stock H.O block that had a 347 kit on it the a 150 shot and guess what...? I got a hole on the block so
Smokin LX is right if u gonna go that route get a GOOD block. [Frown]

--------------------
04 mach1 BASSANI EXHAUST/C&L INTAKE
67STANG/CHP 347/BUILT C4/MOROSO DRAG SUSP.

Posts: 1581 | From: salinas831 | Registered: May 2007  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com