Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Golden Gate "The Bridge" trailer (NSFW) (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Golden Gate "The Bridge" trailer (NSFW)
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
*NSFW*

I was browsing youtube and saw this video. It's kind of chilling. Especially considering I/we all cross it regularly. This movie was an independant film, but just released on DVD this week. I'm kind of curious to watch it. Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone.

HERE

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn that movie is crazy! I'm gonna see if I can rent it...
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy just rented it off Net-flix. He said it was crazy......

[ June 18, 2007, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: six 5.0 ]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Eek!] WOW! [Frown] I knew someone that was in recovery that commited suicide by jumping off the bridge. Sad
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My mom threw herself off Aug 26, 1996. Never recovered her body.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sharkattack:

I'm sorry about that. Would you like me to remove it?

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Seems like it would be a painful way to go! what if you hit the water and don't die, but die by drowning? [Confused]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
Seems like it would be a painful way to go! what if you hit the water and don't die, but die by drowning? [Confused]

There is a kid that did it twice and survived both times with broken bones of course. He's still alive and seeing a psyhciatrist.

--------------------

RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How did they know when those people were going to jump? [Confused] ...... sad
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
very scary to actually see that kind of stuff.. wow

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

The Bridge (documentary film)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Bridge
Directed by Eric Steel
Produced by Eric Steel
Distributed by Koch-Lorber Films (North American DVD)
Release date(s) October 27, 2006
Running time 93 min.
Language English
IMDb profile
The Bridge is a 2006 documentary film by Eric Steel that tells the stories of a handful of individuals who committed suicide at the Golden Gate Bridge in 2004. The film was inspired by an article entitled "Jumpers," which was written by Tad Friend and appeared in The New Yorker magazine in 2003[1].

The documentary caused significant controversy when Eric Steel revealed that he had tricked the Golden Gate Bridge committee into allowing him to film the bridge for months and had captured 23 of 24 known suicides which took place during filming phase of the project.

In his permit application to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area Steel said he intended "to capture the powerful, spectacular intersection of monument and nature that takes place every day at the Golden Gate Bridge"[2].

The movie was shot with multiple cameras pointed at a notorious suicide spot on the bridge during 2004. It captured 19 people as they took their final plunge, and then offers interviews with grieving families.

[edit] Secrecy
Steel interviewed relatives of the suicide victims, deliberately neglecting to reveal that he had footage of their loved ones' deaths. He claimed that "All the family members now, at this point, have seen the film, [and were] glad that they had participated in it"[3].

The project was kept a secret in order to avoid someone who would "get it into his or her head to go to the bridge and immortalize him or herself on film."

There was a time when area newspapers routinely reported on the bridge suicides. When the number of deaths neared 500, and later 1,000, people often rushed to secure their own place in the historical record[citation needed], a phenomenon known as copycat suicide.

During the filming, one person jumps off the Golden Gate Bridge every 15 days on average[4].

A DVD release by Koch-Lorber Films was released on June 12th, 2007.

[edit] References
^ "Jumpers": "Jumpers" - The fatal grandeur of the Golden Gate Bridge, Tad Friend, New Yorker, October 13, 2003
^ Film captures suicides on Golden Gate Bridge, Phillip Matier & Andrew Ross, San Francisco Chronicle, January 19, 2005.
^ "The Bridge of Death" ABC News, October 20, 2006
^ "The bridge of suicide", Catherine Philip, The Times, February 28, 2007

--------------------

Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittsburg Mustang Owner  Ford pictures for Pittsburg Mustang Owner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Step ya bootleg game up lol j/p.

Here is part 1 of the FULL video. The following parts are to the right in the related videos box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORF0tbF20Jg

Very good Doc. in my opinion. Very sad too...

Posts: 1019 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Thanks. I can watch it now.

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good gawd that's intense...

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
93cobracoupestang
¯
Member # 5765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93cobracoupestang  Ford pictures for 93cobracoupestang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow... [Frown]

--------------------
1993 Lx Coupe.....a couple bolt ons.

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just watched the whole thing on youtube.. sad stuff.

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I remember they had interviwed the producer on Live 105 last year. Sounded very interesting. Glad it finaly came, out Ill have to go pick it up.
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Venomized93:
quote:
Originally posted by sharkattack:

I'm sorry about that. Would you like me to remove it?
No need to. Thanks anyway.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
watched it last night. made me think alot about life and how good we have it compared to people who have to cope with mental illness

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66backinblack:
watched it last night. made me think alot about life and how good we have it compared to people who have to cope with mental illness

You are right about that one.

Unless you have been exposed to individuals who have depression, bipolar disorder, or other forms of chemical imbalances, it is very difficult to understand how much of a human being's happiness and desire to live is dependent on involuntary chemical processes within the brain.

The challenge for doctors remains matching unique cases to the right medications or recommending the right lifestyle alterations so that these people can go on living normal lives. The risk is always that their condition will worsen because it is very difficult to understand exactly how a medication will affect any unique case. You heard one of the individuals in the vid was not able to sleep on the anti-depressants. Not being able to sleep meant that he was a prisoner trapped in his own mind all the time, every second of the day. He could not even escape from his pain for even a few hours of each night. Another major side effect to many anti-depressants is reduction in sexual desire or performance. You can imagine how this can contribute to a depression case...

It is my belief that very few of these suicide cases are due to people taking a bad turn in life alone due to losing a job, losing a loved one, losing your life savings in vegas while on a drunken binge, etc. I do believe that one of these occurrences can set an already fragile individual over the top of the rail.

The guard-rail/net issue has gone on for years and years. The city argues that it will take away from the beauty of the bridge, and the flip side argues that a safety device would at least take away the ability for a jumper to make an impulsive split-second decision. Sure, someone suicidal will just find another means to kill themselves, but at least this removes the impulsive aspect.

I watched this documentary in its entirety last night, went to bed thinking about it and here I am at work thinking about it the next morning... Its reality for a lot of people. I just didn't know that on average we have a jumper go every 15 days.

--------------------
Stangless

Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittsburg Mustang Owner  Ford pictures for Pittsburg Mustang Owner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^You know I couldnt stop thinking about it since last night also. It is a very emotional movie, but damn it is a good movie.
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Wasn't that crazy at the end of the movie how many people jumped off in 2004. It showed (on a list) at least 2-3 people a month. That's crazy! Plus you never hear about it on the news. To not glorify the death and the Golden Gate Bridge for suicide spot.

[ June 19, 2007, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Another thing too, i cant even look at the golden gate bridge the same anymore. Like on the channel 2 news, they use it in the commercials and the promos before the show and it just makes me think about Gene and all the people they talked about.
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
Originally posted by Venomized93:
Wasn't that crazy at the end of the movie how many people jumped off in 2004. It showed at least 2-3 people a month. That's crazy! Plus you never hear about it on the news. To not glorify the death and the Golden Gate Bridge for suicide spot.

yes, it looks like the media stopped reporting on these jumpers in the mid 90's in order to prevent drawing attention to the act for any new would-be jumpers. From the documentary, the number had reached 1000 somewhere around that time. The concern is that these milestone numbers will bring individuals that are looking to etch their name as the individual who was number XXXX. Now they will only report on it if traffic was involved, or if someone left their car in the middle of the bridge and held up traffic to make the jump. The other way is if the person is famous.

I am still thinking about the camera work. Someone said it above, how in the world were they capturing these acts? Incredible.

Another interesting question was the following "If you encounter a jumper what do you say to them?"

I thought the answers shown in Tad Friend's passage were very interesting:

"How are you feeling today?"
"What are you doing tomorrow?"
"If you don't have plans, lets make some plans, and if they don't work out, you can always come back here tomorrow"

We had a family friend that made the jump about 12-15 years ago.
His story was unique in that he accumulated serious gambling debt and was receiving threats on his family. I don't know anything about what his mental state was or if he was on any meds.

He parked his car on the bridge, ran out and threw himself off. It looks like he didn't want to chance anything since he went over the rocks, not the water.

--------------------
Stangless

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

In my case my Mother was Bi-polar/Manic depressive. My mom was a registered nurse. According to all her co-workers she was very caring with all her patients. She was a great mother to me. Took the best care of me. She had me when she was just 17. Had to drop out of school and go to work to raise me.

When I got older she went back to school and busted her ass. Seemed to turn her whole life around but there was still her depression that would rear it's ass from time to time. She always seemed to be in control though.

She got pregnant with my sister at 39. After my sister was born my mom seemed to spiral down hill. In and out of the hospital. My dad just became frustrated and filed for divorce (I didn't blame him)

My dad wanted sole custody of my sister who was 3 at the time and I think my mom in a cloud of confusion from meds, depression, and anxiety thought my dad would get sole custody.

She called my grandmother and told her what she had planned to do. When she got to SF, she parked on the SF side and made her way to the bridge. When she got there the gate was locked. She had locked herself out of her car too. She went to a pay phone and called for a tow truck who came and unlocked the car for her. My mom called my grandmother and said "I guess it's not my time. I'm coming home"

Now we have no idea of what happened after that but my guess is my mom drove back onto the bridge and headed south. While on the bridge she saw people walking back toward the Marin side.

She parked her car on the Marin side and waited for people to come back out the locked gate then slipped in. It was late at night. No one heared from her again.

CHP had the car towed and during the inventory located my mom's purse, several suicide notes to my dad, family, grandmother, and myself. They also found her shoes,car keys, and cell phone.

I came home from work late that night and my girlfriend told me my mom was missing and that they found her car. I knew right then what she had done and was crushed.

It was hard to have to go pick up her car from the tow yard. There was never any closure due to her body never being recovered. At the time she apparently jumped, the tide was going out.

I have only read her letter one time, can't bring myself to read how much she was hurting. My sister was lucky to not have to endure what happend but she has been cheated by not know how much she was realy loved by her mother.

As far as suicde barriers? I am opposed to them. Waste of money. Never would have saved my mom. It wasn't her 1st attempt, it wouldn't have been her last. Someone else maybe, I don't know. This is just my experience.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com