Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Who is doing tuning for our cobras these days? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who is doing tuning for our cobras these days?
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
it's got a massive exhaust leak because of the warped header flange on the crap-tacular 1990s BBK header,

Holy crap! That just made me think of those BBK headers you helped me install on my old 1994 gt... man that seems like forever ago! I was just a young A1c back then! hhaha, I learned a very important lesson that day about header alignment! Prybar FTW! [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
I know it's been discussed here on the board before, and I think it needs to be brought to the forefront again. There needs to be a feedback area established for all facets of work here; Commerical, Sales, Tuning, and For Sale section. If individuals or businesses do not want to be rated on or have ratings established for them, they shouldn't be permitted to post here on CA Fords. For once on the board, we can have a true pulse as to what's going on and how it truly is for consumers and businesses alike.

[worship] VERY well put John! It would be badass to have a section like that. And if a vendor doesn't like it... kick rocks. [patriot]

IMO, it would become a very valuable asset, if managed properly... Not allowing people to post things like "my boy's cousin's aunt's son's friend got his stang worked on at this shop and they blew his motor." Remember that last shop owner? [Roll Eyes]

I know there has been a few shops I have either gone to or called and it would be nice to share experiences, rate, and discuss how I (or other people) liked the shop. Something like eBay's feedback system, but moderated to keep all the nonsense out. Something as simple as the non-automotive section...

The subject line could be the shop's title then something like X pos, Y neut and Z neg. Make it mandatory to PM a mod, or a liason, that's trusted, with your rating and message about the place... The mod (or equivalent) could then filter out the nonsense, or kick it back to the person and tell them why it's not post worthy.

Maybe having a system like that would keep down the amount of flakers too. I know we all have dealt with that before!

[ March 01, 2007, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very pleased with the work AED did to my 03 cobra, customer service was above and beyond!!! [worship] [patriot]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

klonoa
¯
Member # 1771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for klonoa  Ford pictures for klonoa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the great info guys, I think I know who I will be going with.

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra - 454 rwhp - 470rwtq
Ex. 2001 vortech'ed v6.

Posts: 938 | From: Richmond, Cali. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
klonoa
¯
Member # 1771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for klonoa  Ford pictures for klonoa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BTW 93pony, answer your pm! [patriot]

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra - 454 rwhp - 470rwtq
Ex. 2001 vortech'ed v6.

Posts: 938 | From: Richmond, Cali. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
04cobra408
¯
Member # 4025

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04cobra408  Ford pictures for 04cobra408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
Very pleased with the work AED did to my 03 cobra, customer service was above and beyond!!! [worship] [patriot]

+1 Jeff hooked it up with a great tune and awesome service. and Shaun did my cams and most of my other bolt ons while he was doin my cams at the shop he used to work at, and he did the install very fast and did a great job too.!

--------------------
Willie Guzman
RIP lil brother
11-23-12

Juan Moya
"The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05

Posts: 1945 | From: san jose ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah...you got admit...Shaun does know what he is doing when it comes to tuning....once I get some free time....going to hit up AED for PMS tune on a certain 95 Cobra (5LVenom) that he knows about....

Shaun...just curious...what are you charging nowadays for tuning....I head Jeff S. does it from time to time but charges a s-load of money.....just wondering since you are doing it now..what you are charging....????

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
Yeah...you got admit...Shaun does know what he is doing when it comes to tuning....once I get some free time....going to hit up AED for PMS tune on a certain 95 Cobra (5LVenom) that he knows about....

Shaun...just curious...what are you charging nowadays for tuning....I head Jeff S. does it from time to time but charges a s-load of money.....just wondering since you are doing it now..what you are charging....????

Tuning is $100 an hour + rental of the dyno.

I had a hell of a time getting that damn Cobra to idle with the PMS. WAY too much fuel adjustement needed. I believe the Mass-air is out of calibration. The PMS relies heavily on a properly calibrated mass-air. I'd advise swapping maffs to another one. Also, it's probably going to need 50+lb injectors. I've had to up base fuel pressure to 60psi in order to get the correct A/F with my setup.... That's with 50's & only ~500RWHP.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:

Tuning is $100 an hour + rental of the dyno.

I had a hell of a time getting that damn Cobra to idle with the PMS. WAY too much fuel adjustement needed. I believe the Mass-air is out of calibration. The PMS relies heavily on a properly calibrated mass-air. I'd advise swapping maffs to another one. Also, it's probably going to need 50+lb injectors. I've had to up base fuel pressure to 60psi in order to get the correct A/F with my setup.... That's with 50's & only ~500RWHP.

Yeah..Rob told me that too about the 50 lb injectors..I didn't realize you turned fuel pressure up so much....not sure if I can drop enough dough on them right now...because he also told me about the MAF....However, the last time I drove it...the PMS wasn't pulling timing...for some reason I think my MAP sensor is bad....it reads 0 vacuum all the time....

What would you recommend for a MAF? Do they make a MAFia for these things?

once I'm ready to go down..I'll give you a call...it needs a little more tuning than what I can do by myself with a wideband...

really want it detuned to save the motor a little longer...planning on having either a Dart or new Boss302 for it later on during the summer and saving this motor for an old school project....

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

FoX GT
¯
Member # 4587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoX GT  Ford pictures for FoX GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RixSikCobra:
Racers Edge Tuning(RET)...ask for Greg. [worship] [patriot]

hey rick,

You get your car tuned there and whenever your ready to race my AED (Advanced Engine Development) built & tuned car let me know so i can show you why you should have went to AED.

Go to Shaun @ AED anything else would be uncivilized.

RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FoX GT:
quote:

hey rick,

You get your car tuned there and whenever your ready to race my AED (Advanced Engine Development) built & tuned car let me know so i can show you why you should have went to AED.

Greg is a awesome tuner, I have no regrets rest assured...the man does fantastic work [patriot] I know Jeff did good work on my car and from what I undertand, Shaun is pretty good himself. But IT IS UNFORTUNATE that I have to drive all the way to SoCal to get my car tuned now. I'll leave it at that.

It will be cool to see our 700+rwhp Cobras tangle again, soon. [Cool] ...I'll definitely let ya know when I'm ready. [patriot]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FoX GT:
quote:

hey rick,

Greg is a awesome tuner, I have no regrets rest assured...the man does fantastic work [patriot] I know Jeff did good work on my car and from what I undertand, Shaun is pretty good himself. But IT IS UNFORTUNATE that I have to drive all the way to SoCal to get my car tuned now. I'll leave it at that.

It will be cool to see our 700+rwhp Cobras tangle again, soon. [Cool] ...I'll definitely let ya know when I'm ready. [patriot]

Clean your pm Box
Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juiced-03  Ford pictures for Juiced-03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never paid Shaun to work on my car, but I've talked to him in person many times and he really knows his Mustangs. He's one of the guys you are glad to have on your side. I'd be pretty sad if he ever decided to quit Fords and turn to Chevy.

Amazon Tuning SUCKS! I had a terrible experience with my tune. Of course this was back when tuning was only about a year old for these cars, but still. They never wanted to make it right. My car was running so rich, and it was just gutless. I've heard others complain about them as well. You can't talk about it on other boards though because they sponsor the sites. So unless it's nothing but praise, you have to keep your mouth shut. It's too bad, because people deserve to hear if their money should be spent elsewhere.

I really wish Shaun used Diablo. That's the only reason I haven't had him tune my car. So I'm stuck with mail order tunes for now lol. I don't really think a ported Eaton combo is anything that needs serious dyno tuning anyway though.

-Bryan

[ March 05, 2007, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Juiced-03 ]

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Juiced-03:
I don't really think a ported Eaton combo is anything that needs serious dyno tuning anyway though.

-Bryan

well.........

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Our cars don't take much to tune. Not that I'm an expert by any means, but all I know is that I've watched(and paid attention to)many Mustangs and Cobras get tuned by more than one tuner, and it doesn't take long it seems. Now, turbo setups, stuff like that could take longer, but all in all not very long. If you're not happy with "A" tuner, there are plenty others who are as knowledgable who'd be happy to take care of ya. [patriot]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FWIW

I did mine the hard way and it took a lot of track testing and logging and e-mailing of tunes to get my car where it is.

I wouldn't really rec'd for others to follow what i did....but i like to learn through trial and error [Razz]

From speaking with Drew, Frank, and Jeff i can vouch for their 110% comitment. I should add Shaun in there as well but unfortunately i've yet to meet ya in person but i know your stuff inside and out [worship]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Lonewolf
¯
Member # 4968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonewolf  Ford pictures for Lonewolf    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did the amazon mail order and am very happy...you can look at the dyno for the predator can tune vs the amazon tune....

can tune- www.eskimo.com/~lonewolf/cobra3.jpg
amazon- www.eskimo.com/~lonewolf/cobra5.jpg

I did not know any tuner here.. so the mail order was an option...

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Lonewolf:
I did the amazon mail order and am very happy...you can look at the dyno for the predator can tune vs the amazon tune....

If you email your Amazon tune dyno graph to Rick he can make some fueling adjustments for you and you will pick up some midrange power/torque as well as have a "safer" tune...your AF ratio is definitely less than ideal. [patriot]

[ March 05, 2007, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

The A/F curve on an 03/04 Cobra that makes a TON of boost at 2K RPM should look more like this: (Between 11.8-12.0 across the board)
 -

Running too rich & having low timing is dangerous. You burn exhaust valve guides from running like this. Although it won't blow the motor right away, eventually you'll have head/valve failure.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Lonewolf
¯
Member # 4968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonewolf  Ford pictures for Lonewolf    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for your input.. now... where is a dyno in sac area if I upload a new tune? Tks. George
Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juiced-03  Ford pictures for Juiced-03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Hopefully you will have better luck than I did getting that air/fuel squared away!

[ March 06, 2007, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Juiced-03 ]

--------------------
Just your typical modded '03 Cobra

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com