Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Sound System question. getting 15" subs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound System question. getting 15" subs
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I looking to buy a pair of 15" subs. I was looking at the Kicker L7's 2 0hm but I'm also comparing them to the JL Audio 15" w3's. What would you get?

I'm also thinking of feeding them one 1,000 watt each OR the new Memphis 1500D amp for both. What you guys think?

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well is there any reason why you want 15's? The Kicker L7 are a good choice but I think you will want to run 4ohms sense they are DVC which will cut it to 2ohms in series.

If you get the kicker model make sure you get the 06 models only. The JLs are great the w3 version 2 are great subs. They hit like a older w6...

But if your going to run 15's the memphis 1500 wont be enough power in my own opinion.. for a budget line amp check hifonics XXX.

If it was my choice id get a set of TC sounds, or ID max or if you really want JLs get a set of w6v2 12s

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drift-GT  Ford pictures for Drift-GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know lots of people like JL audio (and I am not saying it does not sound good) but I am a pretty die hard Kicker fan. My last system building experience made my decision on being a kicker guy even more strong.

I ended up buying one of the old solo-barac round 12” sub (just as they had gone to the square sub style). To make a long story short, when I first fired it up to do the burn in process it was busted and made rattling noses. My diagnosis was the cone had separated from the driver and that this last sub the store had must have been a demo model and was pushed to hard. The store would not warrantee the sub and refused to help me (I was pretty upset).

I called Kicker told them what had happened, they calmed me down and said they would me more than willing to see what’s going on and they had me ship out the sub to them. They called me the day they got it to let me know they had received the sub. Then they called me the next day to tell me what was wrong, and my conclusion was correct. Then the manager took the time to talk to me to tell me how bad they felt about the situation. Then at no additional cost to me they shipped me a brand new 12L7, even though in there books showed the 12L5 as being the equivalent sub to the one I had sent in!!

There products sound and hit great, and there customer service is the BEST.

- Dana “kicker for life!!”

--------------------
- 1965 GT “K” code Mustang, RIP
- 2002 Silver GT 5 speed
- 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Posts: 552 | From: Freakmont, CA U.S. of A | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Drift-GT:
I know lots of people like JL audio (and I am not saying it does not sound good) but I am a pretty die hard Kicker fan. My last system building experience made my decision on being a kicker guy even more strong.

I ended up buying one of the old solo-barac round 12” sub (just as they had gone to the square sub style). To make a long story short, when I first fired it up to do the burn in process it was busted and made rattling noses. My diagnosis was the cone had separated from the driver and that this last sub the store had must have been a demo model and was pushed to hard. The store would not warrantee the sub and refused to help me (I was pretty upset).

I called Kicker told them what had happened, they calmed me down and said they would me more than willing to see what’s going on and they had me ship out the sub to them. They called me the day they got it to let me know they had received the sub. Then they called me the next day to tell me what was wrong, and my conclusion was correct. Then the manager took the time to talk to me to tell me how bad they felt about the situation. Then at no additional cost to me they shipped me a brand new 12L7, even though in there books showed the 12L5 as being the equivalent sub to the one I had sent in!!

There products sound and hit great, and there customer service is the BEST.

- Dana “kicker for life!!”

*cough* sorry die hard JL guy here.... if ur looking for a budget system and ur lookin to push 1000 solid watts throw that power at 2 - 12w6v2's, or 1 12 or 13w7.... ive owned both systems and swear by them.... ive compared to the entire L series and even though JL is more $$$, ur paying for quality, longevity (sp), and pure power. JL is the way to go in my personal opinion... Im actually in the process of putting together my 3rd JL system.... and im going a lil dumb for my final set up lol 1 12w6v2 surrounded by 13w7s
13-12-13 [Eek!]

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds good. I called around and Im really thinking of going with 12's since 15's require alot of power(which costs more money than i can spend). I've owned 2 12" l7's before for I'm looking into the 12" jlw3's
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think 15's sound like crap. They dont give off crisp bass. Instead of kicker or JL give diamond audio or RE or adire audio a look.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
RE's are Sick especially the XXX but then your paying the price of a w7... To make 12w7s really slap you need to be around 1500 watts each.

12w3s are one of the best sounding subs for the money can't go wrong.

Kickers amps are decent but I think they are lacking in the sub department these days.

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
5.0Caliber
¯
Member # 5865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Caliber  Ford pictures for 5.0Caliber    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The real question to the op is if you want spl or sq? The L7 is a pure spl beast, an 15" L7 matched up with an ZX1500 amp is a great setup. That setup can get kinda expensive, if your on a budget and dont care that much about sq, I say go with 2 type R 12's ported, for such a hyped up sub they are not that bad. One of the most important aspect in car audio is prob the sub enclosure, if built properly can make a world of a difference.

[ December 09, 2006, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: 5.0Caliber ]

--------------------
Non-rice 05 Civic LX

Im a rookie all over again.

# 4904

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com