Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » beginner bike? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: beginner bike?
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its all in the wrist, this may sound odd but a liter bike can actually be easier to learn on and for intown city driving if the newb can respect the missle he is sitting on. The larger amount of torque available at low rpms can be nice, I started on a older 6, you can buy a descent one for cheap, learn for a few months and then sell it for damn near what you bought it for depending on how well your learning goes [Big Grin] Then get whatever you feel fits your style, ohhh and take the course. Also if you have a buddy with a quad, it really helps for beginners to go out on a quad that wont fall over and get used to the clutch with the hand, shifting with the foot.

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
blk67stang
¯
Member # 6234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blk67stang  Ford pictures for blk67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you need something like this
 -

im telling you,these things are so fun and beginner friendly

you can also go to bayarearidersforum.com and find out a ton of info on bikes and experiences people have had.Great sight.

--------------------
ford is a way of life

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by xcessive50:
hey bro,i logged on just to respond to this post. look at my member number and number of posts and you will see that i dont do it often,but i thought my advise could help.You have gotten alot of good advise already(2stangs and 1991chp especially),and i hope you are smart enough to know the good advise from the bad.I just wanted to add that 1) always know your road and never go faster than you can see ahead of you. 2)never assume that you can go as fast "in the twisties" as someone else that you might be riding with. 3) and most importantly, after a few months or so on your new bike you're going to be feeling comfortable with your bike and your riding abilities and thinking that you're pretty good.You're not.It takes a long time to get good. i've been riding for 21 years and i still learn new things when i ride and i never assume that i'm some badass.Anyway bro,be safe and smart and have fun.By the way, 600cc should be plenty for quite a while if not forever. I bought a 600 AFTER i had owned 900's and 1000's and i know way experienced riders that have tried them all and prefer 600's [Smile]

I agree with this guy, and others who say the same things. you will never "outgrow" a 600, probably never even a 250. I guarantee most of these guys on 600s and 1ks will get their asses handed to them by someone on a 250 who knows how to ride. and even though a 250 "crashes the same" as a 1k, a 1k or 600 can get you in a whole helluvalot more trouble than a 250. how many times have you heard of someone looping it on a 250 ninja?
get a 250 to start, learn how to ride well, then sell it for just about as much as you paid, and get a 600 if you feel it's necessary to do so.
I started on a 600, but it weighs 500lbs and only has 88hp. it's considered a great beginners bike, save for the extra weight. I can't wheelie in any gear other than 1st, and even then it takes a good pop of the clutch to get it up. I love my bike and feel it was a great decision.
all in all, it's up to you on what to get. you can be squidly and get a brand new r6 or r1, buy a $600 helmet and ride around in a tank top and flip flops, and ride for a little while before you donate some skin to the pavement. or you can start off slow, learn how to ride correctly, get decent gear, and ride for years without incident.
here's to hoping you make the right decision [patriot]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com