Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » beginner bike? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: beginner bike?
andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm looking into getting a street bike, whether new or used, and i'm wondering what would be a good bike to start off on. i've only been on trail bikes (shifting, but with no clutch) so i'm damn near brand new to the game. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of bike (power wise) would be good for a newb to the sport bike world?

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
LIL MZ MISCHEIF
¯
Member # 5585

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LIL MZ MISCHEIF  Ford pictures for LIL MZ MISCHEIF    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i always wanted a ninja 250 to start on but didnt get it.... i heard the 600's are ok to start on.... u can probably go with yamaha maybe... i hear the new 06 r6 is pretty nice...

--------------------
2009 Ford Fusion
03 XR-50
www.myspace.com/joeymuthafuckinramos[/URL] www.girlsfmx.com

97COBRA97
¯
Member # 407

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97COBRA97  Ford pictures for 97COBRA97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can pick up alot of the late 90's-newer 600's for a decent price. Im by no means an expert but I started with a 600 ninja then moved up. I have a 05 R1 now and have a couple of friends who started on R1's actually. Personaly I dont need a bike that big or fast but the weight wasnt that different and it was comfortable and at the time you couldnt get the r6 in the paint I liked.

Alot of it has to do with just riding in your limits. If your riding crazy on a bike regardless if its a 250-1000 they all crash the same.

--------------------
97 4v long tube headers off road x pipe 4.30's upr cai bbk upr lwr ctrl arms koni yellows ebiach pro kit bbk undr drv, flw master 2 1/2 cat back

Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would get a used 600. If you got a new one, then droped it or something you would be pissed. Once you start riding you will want more power real quick, so get a 600 to learn on, sell it and get a 1000! [patriot]

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
start out slow 600's these day's will do 150 LOL. That equals big crash. Get what ever bike you like just don't get over confidant thats were you get hurt. I started with a 400 them moved to a 650 now I have a 1200. Respect your bike and don't trust anybody on the road.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
R1

Come big or go home ;-)

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take a MSF class to see where your really at. That will help you make a decision on what bike you should start off on.
Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 FAKE SNAKE  Ford pictures for 89 FAKE SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
R1

Come big or go home ;-)

[patriot]

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

87GeeTee
¯
Member # 5905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87GeeTee  Ford pictures for 87GeeTee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
R1

Come big or die ;-)

fixt.

Get a 600 or check out the Buell Fireball.

--------------------
Member #: 5145
PWA Owner & SRA Member
Two-Gun Motorsports

2002 GT; Gone But Not Forgotten
1987 GT Vert (Sold!)

Posts: 4278 | From: San Pablo | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i heard rumors that there is a class i take and that will actually lower my motorcycle insurance. is this correct?

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)

Norcal95050
¯
Member # 2941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcal95050  Ford pictures for Norcal95050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I suggest going to the MSF class ( the motorcycle safety class) they provide you with the bike for the duration of the class, you wont have to take the on road rideing test at the dmv,and your insurance will be lower. That being said you will outgrow a 400 or 500 quick and an R6 is nice bike but expensive..people telling you to buy an r-1 without knowing your height or weight, just plain giveing you a wrong advice. I would say stick with a 600 or 650,, suzuki make a nice v-twin bike with tons of mid range toque.. take a look at the sv650s..

--------------------
2000 gt - built block, kenne bell sc, t56, full Maximum Motorsport suspension.

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a gsxr 750 cause you will grow out of that 600 fast and want more power so start in between ..and its all in the wrist [patriot]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Pcharged46
¯
Member # 1664

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pcharged46  Ford pictures for Pcharged46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510:
get a gsxr 750 cause you will grow out of that 600 fast and want more power so start in between ..and its all in the wrist [patriot]

Like mine.... [Big Grin]

-

[ June 10, 2006, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: 50 Notch ]

--------------------
04 Gt, Procharger,ported bullitt intake, vt cams, patriot heads mahle pistons, manly rods... etc.etc.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a Hog [Big Grin]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go get a dirt bike or enduro. Bang that around for a while to get the hang of it, and to see if you even really like it.

As for when/if you decide to get a street bike, get what ever makes you feel more comfortable.

And as for "out growing" a 600, DO NOT LISTEN TO SQUIDS LIKE THIS. For your own safety. Any 600 is more then enough for just about anyone who KNOWS how to ride. AMA, AFM and you can be twice as fast on a 600, then some schmuck on an 1000.

Have fun and ride safe. [patriot]

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Thanks fellas for your replies. I think i'm leaning toward a 600cc for sure. My buddies say that people with 1000's can't even fully use their power in the twisties (mainly where they ride), and that a 600 should be plenty of power for the time being.

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are a begginer and our planning on using full power in the twisties you are going to get hurt. Besides going into and comming out of twisties there is always a long straight [Wink] what then LOL

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go take the MSF course,then you decide what you feel comfortable on. Some times after taking the course, some people decide bikes aren't for them at all. I have two bike, an F4I, and a GSXR-750. You can feel the power difference, but the 600 is still plenty fast.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
xcessive50
¯
Member # 2995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xcessive50  Ford pictures for xcessive50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey bro,i logged on just to respond to this post. look at my member number and number of posts and you will see that i dont do it often,but i thought my advise could help.You have gotten alot of good advise already(2stangs and 1991chp especially),and i hope you are smart enough to know the good advise from the bad.I just wanted to add that 1) always know your road and never go faster than you can see ahead of you. 2)never assume that you can go as fast "in the twisties" as someone else that you might be riding with. 3) and most importantly, after a few months or so on your new bike you're going to be feeling comfortable with your bike and your riding abilities and thinking that you're pretty good.You're not.It takes a long time to get good. i've been riding for 21 years and i still learn new things when i ride and i never assume that i'm some badass.Anyway bro,be safe and smart and have fun.By the way, 600cc should be plenty for quite a while if not forever. I bought a 600 AFTER i had owned 900's and 1000's and i know way experienced riders that have tried them all and prefer 600's [Smile]
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89 FAKE SNAKE:
quote:
R1

Come big or go home ;-)

[patriot]
don't take any advice from Fake Snake he's had his bike for over 6 months and he's still on training wheels. Listen to the others that told you to start out smaller.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

excellent advice. if i take anything away from all this it will be to respect the bike and know one's own limits. Thanks again fellas, i'll let you know on what i decide to do

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510:

Hows does one outgrow a 600 on the street? Just wondering as I don't think it is possible. I'd say a performance 'upgrade' to the rider is the best way to go [Wink]
Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a turbo hayabusa. [patriot]
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like some said, take the MSF class. When I took it, there were a couple guys that decided motorcycles weren't for them and just left the first day of class. Plus, you dont have to take the DMV riding test (really hard from what I hear) and you insurance is discounted.

As for bikes, I many people say to start off on a 600 or bigger, but that may not be you. I know a few guys that LOVE 250cc ninjas because they're really light and are a blast in the twisties. Personally, I learned on my cousin's 250cc, then bought a ninja 500. The 500 was pretty fast and if it looked better, I probably would have kept it. The newer 600cc bikes have plenty of power. If you get tired of the power, then you most likely just ride straight-aways and dont take it throiugh the twisties, which in my opinion, gets pretty boring. But if you plan on riding the bike like its supposed to be ridden (through turns and all that), then the 600 should be perfect and have enough power for a long time. ANothre option thats quick and easy is to simply upgrade your sprockets. It odesnt actually add any horsepower, but like 3:73's or 4:10's, it'll give the bike a big push...or you can change the ratio so you have more high-end speed.

In essence, as a beginner, I say stick with the 600cc. From 1999 and up, the engineering on sportbikes has gotten really good and I think that any bike from that year on, will do you good...Just ride safe and remember to wear gear even if its hot as hell... [patriot]

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

Pcharged46
¯
Member # 1664

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pcharged46  Ford pictures for Pcharged46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with Ian, the 600's are plennnnty for the street. I got the 750 as a happy medium instead of the liter bike. Just be careful, and remember to prepare for the fall, not for the ride.. [patriot]

--------------------
04 Gt, Procharger,ported bullitt intake, vt cams, patriot heads mahle pistons, manly rods... etc.etc.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com