Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » computer help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: computer help
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i finally boke down and got a bigger hard drive, it did nt come with any instructions or disks for the install. its a Maxtor 160 3.5" etc etc, i want to use ut as my 'C' drive and put the current 9.49 gb as my secondary drive. how do i transfer all my data/programs etc over to the new drive? i went to the maxtor web site but it says you need a diskett (which i do not have) to d/l a program onto to it. thanks for your help.

Ernesto

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

5PT SLOW
¯
Member # 638

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5PT SLOW  Ford pictures for 5PT SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JUMP IT... SET THE SECIOND ONE TO SLAVE!

COPY PASTE UR DONE..
JUST MAKE SURE THE NEW DRIVE IS FORMATTED

Posts: 553 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5PT SLOW:
JUMP IT... SET THE SECIOND ONE TO SLAVE!

COPY PASTE UR DONE..
JUST MAKE SURE THE NEW DRIVE IS FORMATTED

ah....how do i do that?! [Embarrassed] the new drive is blank, i plugged it in and now the comp does not want to biit up.....do i connect it where the original main drive used to be and put the original as the next drive?

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
"4-eyes forever essay!"

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You do not want to use that as your C-drive, your load times will be slower. Just use it as a nice storage drive and leave your old one as the windows C-drive. Besides that you would have to totally reinstall windows in order to do what you want.

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
UKCobra
¯
Member # 1240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKCobra  Ford pictures for UKCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Usually Maxtor drives come with software to help you do this.

What I would do is add it as a secondary drive, format it within Windows and leave it as an extra storage device.

Should you really want to boot from this drive, you will need to copy the data across, as Windows has some hidden files, you might want to get some drive copying software.

If I remember correctly, most disk manufacturers have this available for free from their websites.

Posts: 436 | From: Reading, UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: May 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Be sure to format it using the windows utility. I would recommend using "NTFS" formatting over "FAT13". Be sure to set the jumpers to slave. They are the little white plugs on the back of the hdd. I would use the new hdd, as a backup/storage device and continue using your existing drive as the programs folder.
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by n8y8:
Be sure to format it using the windows utility. I would recommend using "NTFS" formatting over "FAT13". Be sure to set the jumpers to slave. They are the little white plugs on the back of the hdd. I would use the new hdd, as a backup/storage device and continue using your existing drive as the programs folder.

exactly what I was going to say. Just use your new drive as the "D" drive.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i got it to work, but the comp will not boot up with both drives installed and conncected! when i go onto properties of the large drive shows the specs of the old 9.49 GB drive! i tried do an update driver...but nothing. so I installed windows Xp onto the larger driver until i can figure out whats wrong with it. someone from tech said maybe the comp is not set up for a drive of this size? what else do you think it can be?! [Frown]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

well thanks to all of you, i got it too work, but now the comp thinks it has 2 9.49 GB drives in it. and can you change the "designation" names of the drives? the large drive is C.... and the DVD player is "D" and the smaller drive is now "F". How do you paste and drag to another drive?

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
"4-eyes forever essay!"

UKCobra
¯
Member # 1240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKCobra  Ford pictures for UKCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What operating system are you using ?

Changing drive letters is very easy in XP, you just change them in the Disk Management Tool. (Control Panel then click on Administrative Tools, then Computer Management)

You should have one small disk and a large one, not 2 of the same size, it sounds like you need to re-partition it.

--------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra Pace Car #938
1995 Mustang Cobra R #61

Posts: 436 | From: Reading, UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com