Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » CHP ACADEMY...? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: CHP ACADEMY...?
Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juiced-03  Ford pictures for Juiced-03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't be too worried about the driving record. If you have other things going for you like military experience, schooling, etc. then they will be able to look past some of your flaws. I have talked to many recruiters and they all told me they look at the whole picture, not just one aspect of your background. Of course they don't want someone with multiple at fault accidents, but I think you can get away with 2 points. The criminal background has to be clean for sure though. You can call a recruiter and tell them your situation and they will tell you straight up if you qualify. That's the best way to know for sure!

--------------------
Just your typical modded '03 Cobra

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The background process is very extensive.

I am going through it right now.

Be fearful of whatever you did way back into junior high. How many times you got suspended and for what etc etc.

Tickets all kinds and how long ago. They will talk to your neighbors, friends, and family.

I knew this was what I wanted to do since young therefore I strived to keep my nose clean. [Wink]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
DennisG
¯
Member # 163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DennisG  Ford pictures for DennisG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CHP is average as far as the payscale goes. Any Bay Area department you work for you can make 6 figures with OT. Base salary there are many Bay Area agencies that make quite a bit more than CHP (So. Bay especially). Some of the higher paid in the South Bay area are Santa Clara PD and Sunnyvale DPS.

--------------------
Chrysler 2006 300C 6.1 SRT8
Stock with 1400 miles -13.2 @ 108.5

Posts: 387 | From: Manteca, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
The background process is very extensive.

I am going through it right now.

Be fearful of whatever you did way back into junior high. How many times you got suspended and for what etc etc.

Tickets all kinds and how long ago. They will talk to your neighbors, friends, and family.

I knew this was what I wanted to do since young therefore I strived to keep my nose clean. [Wink]

I would generally agree. Some departments are more thorough than others, however. I went on ride-alongs with two different agencies here over Christmas Break from the Academy. One local department will make a special effort to make personal contact with all friends, neighbors, relatives, and roommates. I spoke with a couple of deputies at another department, and they stated that the background for a couple of recent candidates took approximately one week. [Eek!] (I was surprised at that...but one of the deputies was a new hire who just went through the process and the other deputy had 16 years experience.)

Overall, CHP is a good department. Kinda tough to get on and a rigorous academy. However, CHP officers have a good retirement package. I believe it is something like 3% at 50.

5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, you could be a ramp-rat, or you could be a cop, you decide. [Big Grin]

Crash, DUI, hit and run, fatal yadadadada or
dope, search warrants, child molesters, and staying out of your car as much as possible.

And for the background, it doesn't matter what you've done, it matters how honest you are about it. If they find out about it and you didn't tell them beforehand, you are gone.

And nearly everyone has 3% @ 50, or they will by the time you retire. And 110k with MUCHO overtime is good. But you can make more working less at plenty of places.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
94_5.0
¯
Member # 6130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94_5.0  Ford pictures for 94_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
F*c* cops they all suck you know what........ This is what i do when i CHP > [Razz] [burnout]

--------------------
94 5.0 VERT>> (TOTALED, IDIOT DRIVERS) Obama 50% white 50% black 100% Genious.

Posts: 510 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm gonna take another shot at the CHP this fall after my arm is all healed. I know a few people on here have gone through POST, any thoughts on that? About how long does it take?
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kinda on subject, I got a great quote from the Sac PD recruiter/VIPS coordinator this morning during my informal interview/livescans to work as a volunteer and get credit @ Sac City for it...

While he's looking over my past drug usage (I was totally honest, even about selling my sister a joint for $10 when i was in high school, and my "attempt" at inhaling nitrous oxide from a whipped cream bottle once):

Recruiter: "Well, I see you did LSD 3 times in high school"
Me: "Yes, to the best of my recollection"
Recruiter: "Well, don't you feel stupid now?"
Me: *slides under table*

Haha, I can't hide my past...I screwed up, and all I can be is honest. If my past usage eliminates me from being able to work/volunteer there, then I have no one to blame but myself. I guess if my background doesn't clear, I'll just try to volunteer for Sac SO who have lighter standards on LSD usage (I think it is 5 times - Sac PD is 2 times, but use is listed as an "Adult", so the recruiter said I might get by b/c i used it in high school), but Sac SO has less available hours for volunteering - they only allow volunteering from 9-5 M-F and 8-12 on Saturdays. I haven't smoked dope in 5 years, and I did LSD 3x and a bit of pot in high school. Stupid shit, but how would I know 10 years ago that I would like to become a LEO? I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of myself and my old pothead friends right now... [Mad]

[ January 04, 2006, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: charged04 ]

--------------------
1998 Cobra #2892/3480-**SOLD 7/2/03**
2004 Lightning #1632/3781-**SOLD 8/06**

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
During my CHP QAP I told them I smoked weed three times in highschool, to that day it was like 4 years in the past. Then they asked me.... How frequently, did I enjoy it, does any of my family smoke, do any of my friends, do I have access to it, whats my opinion on it, if I were to go to a party and it was present what would I do? Went on for 5 or so min. on it.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Joooestang66:
During my CHP QAP I told them I smoked weed three times in highschool, to that day it was like 4 years in the past. Then they asked me.... How frequently, did I enjoy it, does any of my family smoke, do any of my friends, do I have access to it, whats my opinion on it, if I were to go to a party and it was present what would I do? Went on for 5 or so min. on it.

That's the typical reponse/routine questioning you will get from a GOOD background investigator. Not only for drug usage, but from EVERY ASPECT of your life that they feel needs to be addressed. Be prepared to have your life dissected from when you were young to the present.

For instance: why you decided to withdraw from certain classes in school; why you decided to receive "F's" instead of withdraw from school; why you have x-amount of debt, why you were suspended in 6th grade. More importantly, what you learned from your negative experiences and/or mistakes. [Big Grin]

My recommendations for anyone wishing to get in law enforcement or firefighting:

-Get a degree, doesn't matter what it's in, just finish something. Of course Criminal/Administration of Justice is the preferred degree for law enforcement, but departments nowadays are looking for a variety of backgrounds with a variety of skills. There are plenty officers and new hires without degrees, but a degree will put you further ahead of those with the same qualifications. FYI a chief of a BIG city in the South Bay majored in English.

-Military is a big plus, but don't sign up for the Navy and try to join the SEALs just because you think a PD will hire you down the road. Do it because it's truly what you want. You can get on a department with other accomplishments.

-Work Experience: Get a job, keep it for a substantial amount of time, perform well, do what you are asked, be professional with EVERYONE. And NO, you can't tell customers to "get the F*(& out of your store" [Big Grin] , don't ask me how I know [Wink] .

-Being a minority also helps, but if you are caucasian, learning a second language will get you almost the same type of "points".

-Make sure your interactions with law enforcement personnel from here on out is only positive. Don't put yourself in situations that will jeopardize your career. A department is taking a chance by hiring you ... do you think they want to take that chance if what you do in your free time could potentially cost them millions of dollars in liability down the road?

-Credit: pay all of your bills on time. Try to limit your amount of unsecured debt. Spend/save your money responsibly, it reflects on your maturity.

-Know who you are, what you have done to prepare yourself for that career, what your good AND BAD qualities are.

Getting hired and sent through an academy is possible but definately tough. If you are having trouble finding a job and LE work is something you really want to do, put yourself through, you will get hired twice as fast. However, it is 6 months without a paycheck. A lot of debt with credit cards could be ok in their eyes if you used it to support yourself while putting yourself through an academy [Big Grin] . But not buying blowers, wheels, exhausts for your car if you can't get hired or don't have the funds.

Take everything I said with a grain of salt. It's just my humble opinion, it may or may not make sense to anyone.

Good Luck! [patriot]

[ January 04, 2006, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: 98Snake ]

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My instructor tells us... "The more baggage you have the tougher it is to get hired." Obviously any negative contact with LE such as getting arrested for domestic violence, dui, major drug use, etc will usually disqualify you. However, my instructor told us that if you do have baggage apply at the smaller departments, or departments that are not as sought after.... For example, stockton, modesto, are tough to get into because they pay good, so they get many applicants, basically as long as you haven't done anything major, you have a good chance. A degree helps, but will not be a determining factor in getting hired. Just because your book smart doesn't mean your street smart... a degree will make you a more rounded person though... goodluck.

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you pretty much need a degree for any "good" job out there now. [Wink]

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
1986 t top gt - parted out and sold!
on the hunt for another

Posts: 1023 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9Roush8:
My instructor tells us... "The more baggage you have the tougher it is to get hired." Obviously any negative contact with LE such as getting arrested for domestic violence, dui, major drug use, etc will usually disqualify you. However, my instructor told us that if you do have baggage apply at the smaller departments, or departments that are not as sought after.... For example, stockton, modesto, are tough to get into because they pay good, so they get many applicants, basically as long as you haven't done anything major, you have a good chance. A degree helps, but will not be a determining factor in getting hired. Just because your book smart doesn't mean your street smart... a degree will make you a more rounded person though... goodluck.

I certainly agree, to an extent. You definately need to be book smart, at least during the academy in order to learn all the material. How well you learn the material will determine how well you can apply it in your field training. That in turn will prove that you can do the job, and possibly determine how well you do in your career.
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As an officer here who is involved in the hiring process let me give my input.

A lot of good advise here but certainly not the bible on how to get hired. Many agencies do things differently. I'll tell you what I look for.

Command presence/ Confidence. Are you timid? Right off that bat I size you up at the begining of the oral interview. Do you look like a push over or do you look like a guy I don't want to mess with. When I shake your hand do you go limp wristed, soft grip? Or do you grip like a bear?

The biggest and most important quality in the oral is by far common sense. Do you have it or not. We ask a lot of questions and they are standardized. How well do you respond to hypothetical situations. I have guys and gals come through with masters degrees who don't have an ounce of common sense. Dead serious, I bet if you gave some of these people a round peg and a square hole they would believe it would still fit. On the opposite side, the joe blow with the GED would come in and smack you silly for even trying to test his common sense. Education is great but if you don't have the smarts to back it up, move on.

Military service always gets my goat. I give these people a little more attention but not necessarily more preference. I'm biased for having served myself. Still need the common sense.

History. Lots of that. How is your credit history? How responsible are you? I have always had great credit. Never bounced a check and never ran up a lot of debt. Never missed a payment. Never gone to collections. I think my credit score is about 780. When the kid comes in at 21-24 and says he has a bankruptcy with several collections and repos. Forget it, your done.

Driving record? DUI's, suspensions, tickets. With all things being =, I am going to take the guy without. Comes down to responsibilty again. A DUI from 5 years ago may not DQ you but it is how you conducted yourself since.

Drug history? Ok, you smoked pot a couple of times in HS. No real biggy. But if you did every other drug known to man and only just recently quit. Good bye. I automaticly DQ guys for bad drug history. Coke, LSD, Meth, Heroin, X, all that shit. You may get by with a little pot but it had better have been from a few years ago at least.

Police contacts? Ever been arrested? What for? Arrests are not good but depending on what it was for and when, you could slide through.

Work history? Ever been fired or let go? Not the most scruntinzed aspect but if there is a pattern, then the applicant has issues.

Again all things being =, I am going to hire the guy/gal with the best overall package. I don't care what color, race, religion, gender, sexual preference you have. It is not about filling slots with sub catagories. A lot of departments are hurting for bodies. Many people are applying but the quality of applicants is lacking. Of the last 50 I interviewed, I maybe passed 12 and I bet 10 of those don't get through their background.

Education is nice, military service is nice, but in this job, common sense is what will take you the furthest. I myself, I don't have a degree. Wish I did but I went a diffent path. I don't work at CHP so I don't know what they look for. State agencies have different requirements.

There are many people who get into this job, get through all the testing, hiring, training, then hit the street and realize this job isn't for them. Usually after their 1st fight [Big Grin] Can't be afraid to scrap with the bad guys. If you don't have common sense, thats exactly what your going to do more often than not [patriot]

Law enforcement is a good job sure. Would I rather be doing something else? Absolutely. I don't love this job like I did when I started. It was fun for about 5 minutes then it just became work. When I get to work, I just can't wait to get home. I like being busy at work cause it helps the day go by faster but at the same time I hate dealing with certain types of calls and service. Juveniles are the absolute worst!

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com