Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » CHP ACADEMY...? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: CHP ACADEMY...?
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like the title says...any thoughts experiences....amy input on the whole process, anything in gereral would be kool. Thanx!

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

t-top50
¯
Member # 2735

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t-top50  Ford pictures for t-top50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know why don't you ask "Amy"

just fukin with you Scott.

--------------------
87GT t-top
00 Saleen (clone)
97 E350 7.3 diesel

Posts: 2522 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
UNTOUCHABLE2
¯
Member # 5889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNTOUCHABLE2  Ford pictures for UNTOUCHABLE2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i will be taking the test for chp coming this feb. look foward to the whole thing
Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juiced-03  Ford pictures for Juiced-03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless you are a minority, good luck getting through the testing process. I have been through it a couple times and had everything going for me except my skin color. I'm just telling you exactly what the recruiter told me. He said my oral board score wasn't high enough because the state needs more female and minority officers. I am scheduled for the exam next week but I may not go through with it. There will still be 15,000 people applying and nothing has changed about me since the last time I took the test (last year). If it's what you truly want, get a degree and join the military. Veterans points will help a lot. Otherwise, you will probably not have enough points to be considered. It's probably one of the most competitive law enforcement positions in the state.

I applied for corrections instead!

--------------------
Just your typical modded '03 Cobra

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
brain fart....what do you mean by minority..?

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think he means not white

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87:
i think he means not white

Or in the state of CA it actually now means being white. LOL

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Being a regular white boy won't exclude you from getting hired with CHP. My friend Jason was in CHP's academy while I was going thru Sac County's academy.

CHP is a live in academy. You get liberty on wednesdays nights until 2300 and weekends, if you don't get in trouble or fail any LD's.

CHP will blow thru all the post mandated LD's in a couple months and then focus on traffic investigation.

CHP had a shitload more EVOC then us but then again they are always on the road.

DOPE 50
¯
Member # 5892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DOPE 50  Ford pictures for DOPE 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was told that CHP's get paid less then City or town cops is this true?What are the pros and cons of being a town cop or a chp?

--------------------
94 COBRA CLONE CONVERTIBLE
67 SS CHEVY NOVA,CAGED UP,TUBBED,FUEL CELL,ETC..IN THE WORKS.[67SSNOV]
91 INTEGRA ON 17'S
94 Ranger Getting lifted

Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juiced-03  Ford pictures for Juiced-03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by slidewayz94:
Being a regular white boy won't exclude you from getting hired with CHP.

That's very true, it won't. The problem is that 10,000 people who applied were exactly like me so the recruiter said they had to hire a lot of female and minority officers. Maybe this time around it will be different, but the recruiter told me I was at a disadvantage for now.

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm sorry, but if you like law enforcment why apply for a traffic enforcer position for 30 years? why not apply to a police dpt and have the oportunity to turn into detective or something else after only 5 years. [Confused]
You don't have that opportunity with the chp...

--------------------
=(

Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
i'm sorry, but if you like law enforcment why apply for a traffic enforcer position for 30 years? why not apply to a police dpt and have the oportunity to turn into detective or something else after only 5 years. [Confused]
You don't have that opportunity with the chp...

I think for most people, CHP is a calling rather than something they just want to do. You deal with a lot more than just traffic, though that is the bulk of your career. I would rather do that than deal with domestic violence calls all day long.

And you can still move up in the rank in CHP. They also provide the security for the governor.

[ January 03, 2006, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Juiced-03 ]

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i see your point [patriot]

--------------------
=(

Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
i see your point [patriot]

Although, I'd take a job from ANY law enforcement agency at this point lol [Big Grin]

--------------------

NO MA'AM
¯
Member # 729

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MA'AM  Ford pictures for NO MA'AM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will also be taking the tests in Feb. I heard they are hiring a ton of people. I gues Iam a minority, so lucky for me. I have a B.A does that help in the hiring process? Does it help to know CHP's so you can put them down as references or do they not let you do that?
Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

quote:
Originally posted by NO MA'AM:
I will also be taking the tests in Feb. I heard they are hiring a ton of people. I gues Iam a minority, so lucky for me. I have a B.A does that help in the hiring process? Does it help to know CHP's so you can put them down as references or do they not let you do that?

Having the degree is going to put you so far ahead of most people who applied. If you have a clean background, I'd say you're as good as in. Get one of those CHP study books. They really help with the oral board questions. Best of luck to you! [patriot]

--------------------

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DOPE 50:
I was told that CHP's get paid less then City or town cops is this true?What are the pros and cons of being a town cop or a chp?

That is the most false thing you have heard. They are some of the best paid law enforcement officers in the UNITED STATES. I interned at the Valley Division office last semester and I will be doing it again in the South Sac office. I rode with an officer who, with mucho overtime, raked in over $110,000. Go to the CHP website and it will show you that an "average" officer, with "average" overtime makes $82,000 a year. CHP is where I will end up after the Marines. In fact...

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Juiced-03:
If it's what you truly want, get a degree and join the military. Veterans points will help a lot. Otherwise, you will probably not have enough points to be considered. It's probably one of the most competitive law enforcement positions in the state.

Absolutely correct. I have spoken to many CHP officers about this and they all say the same thing. The most important thing is getting a degree. If you don't have one, you may as well not apply to the Highway Patrol.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A degree is key. I went through it last year, the first testing cycle they had since the hiring freeze. They used a different format then. It went written test, QAP, physical and mental tests. Now it goes written, physical, mental, then QAP. I got an 87 on my QAP, I also don't have my degree. I failed a math proficiency test twice so I have to take another math class. Having a degree helps out alot, being ex-military helps out even more. Ex-military canidates get an extra 10 pts automatically onto thier score. I'll try again in the fall.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure youre proficient in the english language, as in spelling, correct punctuation, ect. or else youre gonna have a hard time with the written test. Also make sure you go on plenty of ride a longs. It shows youre motivated and interested in the CHP, because they'll ask you that same question about 3 times during your QAP.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

quote:
Originally posted by Joooestang66:
A degree is key. I went through it last year, the first testing cycle they had since the hiring freeze. They used a different format then. It went written test, QAP, physical and mental tests. Now it goes written, physical, mental, then QAP. I got an 87 on my QAP, I also don't have my degree. I failed a math proficiency test twice so I have to take another math class. Having a degree helps out alot, being ex-military helps out even more. Ex-military canidates get an extra 10 pts automatically onto thier score. I'll try again in the fall.

Yeah, 10 points just for the military experience. The recruiter told me the only people who advanced to the background process had to have at least 95 points on the QAP.

--------------------

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FOCK CHP! Great agency, sure but every rainy day you bounce from one crash to another. If there is one thing I hate more than taking a crash it's taking more than one. Multiple victims, multiple suspects, multiple vehicles, multiple witnesses, measurements, diagrams, Facts, Scene, Vehicles and Involved Party, Injuries, Physical Evidence, Statements, Opinions and Conclusions, Recommendations, etc. . . Screw that mess!

CHP isn't all speeding tickets, DUI's, and pursuits. No way.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

does anyone know how picky chp is when it comes down to driving records? some other agencies make a huge deal out of even small tickets, but some bigger ones will let you get away with just about anything but a hit and run and dui.

--------------------
=(

NO MA'AM
¯
Member # 729

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MA'AM  Ford pictures for NO MA'AM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the deal with the background tests. How extensive are they and what should I be fearfull of? I heard the whole process takes about a year. I hope they dont trip too bad on tickets because I have a few. [Frown]

--------------------
1995 GT vert
2007 Honda Civic Si

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

i'm more than sure that a dui will get you eliminated .. i have a reckless driving.. that's still acceptable in some cities(sf and sj), but some trip about it.. i wonder if the chp would eliminate someone based on that.. [Confused]
does anyone know?

--------------------
=(

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com