Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » fuel ecomomy side by side for mustangs (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: fuel ecomomy side by side for mustangs
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its not all the time that I claim 25mpg, I claimed it 3 repeatable times on the same exact trip.

here is my route, only this is from city center to city center:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=salinas,+ca+to+camarillo,+ca&hl=en

yeah, my GPS is way the F' off, 275miles estimated from "salinas, ca to camarillo, ca" where I live, and filled up.

I dont know or care what it gets in everyday driving that is 50/50 highway and city. Hell it probably gets 12mpg and I'll let you think that if it makes you feel better [Smile]

Man, I shouldn't even bother convincing you my explorer gets 22mpg on the same trip, that thing is spinning 2800rpm the whole way not 2500rpm like the mustang [Eek!]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You haven't taken the bet, so that's all I need. Congrats on your mileage.
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I can't prove you wrong, I just dont see why your taking the whole thing so serious. good luck with your wagers

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
You haven't taken the bet, so that's all I need. Congrats on your mileage.

I'm not going to drive 10 hours to prove myself to you [worship]

plus I have about 40 thousand parts on my garage floor and the car doesn't run right now [Big Grin]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
You know what blind, unless you can use your odometer, any map/gps/road signs etc. will not help your case. A correctly calibrated speedo/odo will prove my point.

Can you help explain to the rest of us why a GPS is innacurate (less accurate?) then an odometer for the purpose of mileage calculation of a known route? (such as gas station to gas station with a fill at the 'end' of the trip to determine vol. of gas consumed)

Are we talking about the 0.05% GPS error (or whatever it is), or what exactly? Don't want to put any words in your mouth.

[ November 23, 2005, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: JoeT ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm with the Ford Tech on this one. Best I've ever seen from ANY 5.0 I've owned was 24mpg, and that was in a bone stock 90 with the normal mods (no air silencer, off road X, etc). Folks can claim 28+ mpg...hope they feel better. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ January 08, 2006, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks John! [patriot] Finally, a little bit o' credibility from a well respected member of this board.

JoeT, I won't say that a GPS unit isn't accurate, (street signs, mapquest, yahoo maps aren't) but I will say that a correctly calibrated speedo/odo is every bit as accurate. Plus the odo will show any variances in the trip (stopping at Mc Donalds for a shake, etc.) that the GPS doesn't show. It all adds up. I'm sure that blind made no stops, so his mileage is accuate. But, unless you or anyone else can prove to me that a 5.0 stang with 3.73 gears can produce the mileage that blind claims, my statement stands.

season'd 88, I DO believe that a 2.73 geared stang can get 27 if driven mellow. I honestly don't remember what my car got with those gears, but I am sure it was close.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would you accept that the shortest distance between two points (in a 3 dimensional system) is a straight line?

If you accept this, you must agree that any variance from said straight line would necessarily penalize mileage calculated assuming the path taken was a straight line. (your mcdonalds /bathroom, wrong turns, etc)

In that case, it would only service to lessen the mileage calculated using the straight line assumption. It could not possibly improve it.

Unless you suggest that a circuitous (sp) path somehow improves upon the 'shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line'.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can choose to believe me or not doesn't make a single difference to me.

I guess I just keep the maintance on my cars up to date.

New things through out good air pressure etc.

I have no reason to lie to any of you.

If you choose to say I only get 10 mpg or whatever that's fine with me. I spend 30 bucks a week on gas and drive nearly 350-400 miles. I'm happy. [Smile]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Joe, you are correct, but my point is that a 5.0 with 3.73 gears getting 25 mpg seems bogus. I really don't care about anything other than that simple statement. PROVE ME WRONG.

Sal, 390 miles on 2.73's would have to be in absolutely perfect conditions. 3.08's aren't much more, but the mileage should be less.

The bet stands.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com