Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » fuel ecomomy side by side for mustangs (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: fuel ecomomy side by side for mustangs
UNTOUCHABLE2
¯
Member # 5889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNTOUCHABLE2  Ford pictures for UNTOUCHABLE2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was just looking at this site. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm
i put a 1987 mustang (non mass air) vs 1989 (with) 2003 mustang 4v and a 2006 mustang. all v8 with 5 speed trans. they all have almost the same emissions and fuel cost? the 1989 compared to the 2006! check out the site and let me know what you think.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah its true, the v8's do not have to work very hard on the freeway to maintain speed. I get 25mpg on the freeway in mine going 75mph with 3.73 gears [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
yeah its true, the v8's do not have to work very hard on the freeway to maintain speed. I get 25mpg on the freeway in mine going 75mph with 3.73 gears [Whoo Whooooo!]

No way. I have 260k+ on my car, all with 3.55's, and 250k of it was on a bone stock engine. The best mileage that I ever got was 22mpg. Recheck your math.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
quote:

No way. I have 260k+ on my car, all with 3.55's, and 250k of it was on a bone stock engine. The best mileage that I ever got was 22mpg. Recheck your math.
check it for me [Roll Eyes]

280 miles, 10.89 gallons.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

check it for me [Roll Eyes]

280 miles, 10.89 gallons.

I'll check it! 25.71162075298438934802571166208

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Roll your eyes all you want, but I call [BS flag] there is no way that a 5.0 gets 25 mpg with 3.73's period. I'll bet you any amount you are willing to lose that you are wrong.
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Roll your eyes all you want, but I call [BS flag] there is no way that a 5.0 gets 25 mpg with 3.73's period. I'll bet you any amount you are willing to lose that you are wrong.

I call BS also. 280 miles to the tank with 3:73's I couldn't even get that with my 3:08's drivin like an elderly women..
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check boy....

390 miles with 13.5 gallons of dinosaur

5.0 5 speed 3.08 gears

[Eek!]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Us notchback owners rule the gas charts. [Razz]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Us Honda Owners rule the gas charts [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:

did it 3 times, not once.

salina's, ca to ventura county

not a big deal [Roll Eyes]

only thing that matters I suppose is I also have underdrive pulley's, electric fan, full exhaust (no cats), and my belt is 44.5" long (no p/s and no a/c).

wtf is the big deal? Stock they are rated to 24 highway, and the window stickers say 20-28 was observed.

3.73 gears makes no difference, if I'm not touching the gas pedal on the freeway I'm not touching the gas pedal, the rpm doesn't effect the gas milage.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

28mpg observed? Not even downhill, with a friggin tailwind, in a 5 liter. 4.6 maybe, 5.0 never.

I've never taken a drive from Salinas south, but unless you can coast for 50 miles, your claim is bogus. Putting in less than 11 gallons means that you would be able to go another 50-60 miles (minimum) on that tank.

I could care less about your short belt, pullies or any other mods, your quote
"3.73 gears makes no difference, if I'm not touching the gas pedal on the freeway I'm not touching the gas pedal, the rpm doesn't effect the gas milage." is just plain wrong. Your RPM is higher in every gear, and no matter how lightly you push the go pedal, it still uses fuel more rapidly.

Check your speedo calibration. My guess is that you still have the speedo gear from your 2.73's, hence the high mileage reading per tank. More RPM's = faster speedo reading = more miles to a tank. Either that, or you aren't filling your tank completely each time.

And Sal, you better be yanking my chain, because the bet stands for you too. As much as you are willing to lose. 390??? You are supposed to stop taking narcotics as a police officer. [Big Grin]

Hell, I'll follow both of you in my truck from any gas station to the location of your choice, and if you make it 280+ miles for Blind and 390+ miles(lol) for Sal, I will pay up on the bet on the spot. But, if you run out of gas, make sure that both of you have enough cash left over for the towing company after paying me off.

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Oh, and I can dig up my window sticker if you would like...
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:

Check your speedo calibration. My guess is that you still have the speedo gear from your 2.73's, hence the high mileage reading per tank. More RPM's = faster speedo reading = more miles to a tank. Either that, or you aren't filling your tank completely each time.

I have no speedo so no calibration is necassary. It is 280 miles from salina's to camarillo, GPS observed and it took roughly 11 gallons.

up, down, side to side 280 miles is 280 miles on 11 gallons.

dont believe me? Fine, I still enjoy the milage my car gets, and check the similar threads on corral, there are several that claim 26mpg+

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Oh, and I can dig up my window sticker if you would like...

no need, here is what it would look like.

-

read closely in the bottom left hand corner, EPA observed 20 to 28mpg

[ November 23, 2005, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

You have no speedo. You also have no clue. The bet still stands. Put up or shut up.

Your car does not get 25 mpg with 3.73's

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bind might be a lot of things, but a liar or a bs artist he isn't. and if you had ever met him, you'd believe what he says. but i say that we get a bet going on, loser pays for gas. someone follow someone and lets get kevin his money!

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

quote:
Originally posted by shiftylx:
bind might be a lot of things, but a liar or a bs artist he isn't. and if you had ever met him, you'd believe what he says. but i say that we get a bet going on, loser pays for gas. someone follow someone and lets get kevin his money!

That's fine, but I just think he's fudging to the high side on mileage. If he said 21-22, I would be willing to drop it. 25 is too high. I have people on here that will vouch for my credibility also.
And just because you meet someone, doesn't mean that you should believe everything that he says.

$.02

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
25 is what I used to get in my 90 LX hatch on the freeway. I used to drive from San Jose to San Diego along I5 at 75 mph. 512 miles door to door. The car was completely stock minus flowmasters and electric fan + 3G alternator. But with 3.73s, thats one of those things I'd have to see to believe.

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

lmfao, I have no reason to lie!

next time I make the trip I'll take a picture of the receipts with the street addresses so you can google map it for the driving distances.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
25mpg is very possible. I got 24mpg in my blown 88 with 3.73s averaging 75mph up I5.

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

You know what blind, unless you can use your odometer, any map/gps/road signs etc. will not help your case. A correctly calibrated speedo/odo will prove my point.

And Blu50Stang, the bet stands for you also. As much as you are willing to lose. Your claim is almost as funny as Sal's.

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blueoval, WTF is your problem? These guys are not lying. GPS is way more accurate than a stock speedo that has been corrected for use with 3.73's. What are you willing to bet these guys [Confused]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i call bs on blue oval [BS flag]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

No problem, I just own a 93 5 spd car that I bought brand new and put 3.55's in it when it had 1000 miles on the odometer. I put the right speedo gears in it, with less than .1 error in 5 miles. I have checked it numerous times.
I personally have put over 260,000 miles in the car, bone stock, (removed the silencer and put in a K&N filter) and the best mileage that I ever got was 23 mpg on the way down the hill from Reno. I got 19-21 mpg driving it like a grandma EVERY DAY for the last 11 years.
When someone makes a claim of 25 mpg all the time on 3.73's, I am skeptical to say the least.

Silverlx, a correctly calibrated speedo is more accurate than gps. My car can prove you wrong any day of the week. And the bet is for any amount. As of yet, no one has accepted the wager.

HungryHippo, when you can keep your ride on the asphalt, then you can spout off. Other than that, post whore somewhere else. And btw, blueoval is another guy on the board.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com