Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » people w/ OFF ROAD x/h pipes... *IN HERE PLS* (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: people w/ OFF ROAD x/h pipes... *IN HERE PLS*
93cobra
¯
Member # 2635

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93cobra  Ford pictures for 93cobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
H pipe [patriot]

--------------------
93foxbody wtb 93 cobra intake

Posts: 673 | From: vacaville,ca | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
DOPE 50
¯
Member # 5892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DOPE 50  Ford pictures for DOPE 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I HAVE A bASSANI OFF ROAD X PIPE IT SOUNDS LOUD JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT [worship] [patriot]

--------------------
94 COBRA CLONE CONVERTIBLE
67 SS CHEVY NOVA,CAGED UP,TUBBED,FUEL CELL,ETC..IN THE WORKS.[67SSNOV]
91 INTEGRA ON 17'S
94 Ranger Getting lifted

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's offroad or nothing for me [Smile]

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Throttle Stop
¯
Member # 5515

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Throttle Stop  Ford pictures for Throttle Stop  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From our experience, on a mod engine (5.0's are different) a good set of high-flow cats is only going to cost 1 hp. Now, what is being said about being "technically illeagal" is also correct. But, so are most CAI's, gears, even something as silly as spark plug wires can be considered "illeagal". We work with a smog shop (that has had 2 different smog guys) and they feel as we do, and as most folks should. If the car sniffs clean, what's the big deal. Up this way in Citrus Heoghts they have a mobile sniffer truck that has caught a couple of people that have since come in here for help. Why did they get caught, no cats and the truck found them. With a catted H or X, they're fine.

For sound, the MRT H will definately give the deeper, old school sound, while the X will be a more high-techie sound. I have a Magnaflow catted X with SLP Loudmouths and my Mach sounds like a NEXTEL (man, I still want to say Winston) cup car when she winds out. Keep in mind, for 4.6 DOHC engines, they like to wind out, and that is where the X really comes into play. By design, the X will scavenge better and actually produce better power at the higher RPM ranges.

If you want to call us (916) 780-4646, we'll be glad to help you in the decision process and make sure you get the right part for your need.

Posts: 110 | From: Roseville, Ca. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
twins
¯
Member # 5069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twins  Ford pictures for twins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe on a stock 5.0 there may only be a diff of 1 hp but on a modified car especially forced induction it can be a huge diiference. hiflo cats or not they still restrict flow.
J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1) do you guys regret going Off Road?
Nope, but I do regret wasting my time with 2 other O/R h-pipes before doing my bassani x-pipe

2) Do you guys worry about SMOG?
No, smog hooks....

3) is it too loud ?? just right? to quiet??
Just right, Neighbors NEVER complain for the past 2 years but I guess that's the good part about being friends with everyone in the Court.

4.) Any regrets?
Nope

5) do you worry about cops?
Only when I drive into Dublin and see 6 cops on every corner because they have nothing to do. But in San Ramon I've got a few thumbs or nods from the police.

6) what's the worst that can happen if you get pulled over w/o cats??
Fine's, and State Referee

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juiced-03  Ford pictures for Juiced-03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mach1killa:
maybe on a stock 5.0 there may only be a diff of 1 hp but on a modified car especially forced induction it can be a huge diiference. hiflo cats or not they still restrict flow.

I completely agree. I gained quite a bit on my 03 Cobra with no cats vs. high flow cats. On n/a cars the gains may not be as much, but the sound alone is priceless.

--------------------
Just your typical modded '03 Cobra

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just do it. [Wink]

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think anyone is going to be able to give You the answer You are looking for because We all have different engines with different level's of modification, plus what is too loud for some might be just rite for other's. Also mentioned is the difference in the city You live in with the level of police enforcement, and even the neighborhood's We live in play a role in our choice. I have high flow cat's on mine and when I go WOT it seem's like You could hear it from a mile away [Eek!] , so I definatley would'nt feel comfortable getting on it around town with off road pipes on. I had off road pipes on after My engine swap and they were too loud for Me, as cop's would alway's make eye contact with Me when I drove by, and even follow Me around on occasion. So I know with the addition of the charger a few Year's back that it won't work for Me. I would say drive around with a buddy with a loud exhaust with the window's down and go on the freeway for a nice distance and get an idea if it would be good for Ya or not. [Wink] I don't think there is much power to be gained from a good flowing set of Highflows vs. off road, also the rite header's and cat back would make up most of the difference between the two. If You are going illegal You might as well put long tubes on it also to get maximum gain's. [Whoo Whooooo!] [burnout]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1) do you guys regret going Off Road? yes and thats the reason why the last 4stangs ive had ive gones with cats. the gains from an o/r is not worth the hassle.
2) do you guys worry about SMOG? yes obviously..unless either you have a hook-up or like swapping out hpipes every couple years.
3) is it too loud ?? just right? to quiet?? when i was 18 the sound was just right...obnoxious and loud but now that im a bit older i want something more tame. last thing id want is a noise maker not making the power.
4) any regrets? got pulled over by a cop before when i had the o/r h..to say the least i was nervous but luckily did not get cited for no cats.
5) do you worry about cops? yup, when ever id see a cop id drop the car to the higher gears.
6) what's the worst that can happen if you get pulled over w/o cats?? fines $$$$

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com