Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need Computer Help! (Comp wont start window boot up) (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Need Computer Help! (Comp wont start window boot up)
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its a SONY VAIO and your right, I have a DVD drive.

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it a laptop?
I should have asked 1st, does it have a warranty, and are you afraid of voiding it?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No its a desktop. And its out of warranty. But Im not that experienced though in opening and replacing parts in the computer, but if its simple I will try.

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its very simple, dont be scared... if you can turn a wrench on a car, then you will be fine!

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ok So I will be going to bestbuy, what exactly do I need? I want something relatively inexpensive just to get me back and running like before. When I find the hard drive of choice, then what?

--------------------

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Any of these two ok?

--------------------

5.0Caliber
¯
Member # 5865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Caliber  Ford pictures for 5.0Caliber    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Man I have a sony vaio too, It seems everyone that i know with a vaio has had some kind of major problem, damn i hate vaio.....I guess [Confused]

--------------------
Non-rice 05 Civic LX

Im a rookie all over again.

# 4904

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

hell, I would get the 200 gig, thats plenty of space for mp3's and the like.
did you look on fry's they usually have some KILLEr deals there [patriot]

what size is your current harddrive?
Is your windows xp cd a Microsoft cd, with the holograms, or a sony labeled cd?

if its the latter, it might be a problem with you getting a larger primary drive... some of the installers have customised install routines that check for things like that. So if you get a larger harddrive, it might not let you reinstall XP.

[ October 08, 2005, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:

if its the latter, it might be a problem with you getting a larger primary drive... some of the installers have customised install routines that check for things like that. So if you get a larger harddrive, it might not let you reinstall XP.

Its actually my roomates GATEWAY XP OS recovery CD. Will that not work?
My computer didnt come with anything, everything was pre installed. I dont remember actually getting anything. ITs been like 4 years now.

[ October 08, 2005, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: venomized93 ]

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
Originally posted by venomized93:
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:

Its actually my roomates GATEWAY XP OS recovery CD. Will that not work?
My computer didnt come with anything, everything was pre installed. I dont remember actually getting anything. ITs been like 4 years now.

[Frown] VERY doubtful that it will work.
you can try and call sony and tell them that you want to buy a replacement cd. Or buy a new copy of win xp... or download it from a major file sharing program

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

I think thats what Im gonna do. When I do get that CD, will my files be saved or all deleted. On my C: D:. on my C: I have my major programs and files, on D: I have all my music and videos and pictures. Thanks

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

depending on how sony has the cd, you might be able to do a system restore...

most likely, you will lose whats on the c: you d: should be fine.

do you know of someone that has an xp cd that would let you borrow it and their key just so you can salvage your files?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Not off the top of my head. I called SONY and she said to do the SLAVE thing. I just realized my roomates comp is a labtop using a monitor. So I cant do that slave thing on this computer because its a laptop. So now Im stuck on what to do. I think Im just gonna get the CD and just do a System restore and lose all my shit. I just didnt want to lose all my videos and music and some important files. But whatever, I just want my comp back.

[ October 09, 2005, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: venomized93 ]

--------------------

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Alright, Im trying to get my roomates hard drive on my computer. I took off the plugs from my computer that were connected to my hard drive, and connected it to my roomates. But its not working! Its at the black screen where it says PCI device listing and the drives listed up top. and a cursor thats blinking on the bottom left. I check the jumper settings to be set for MASTER. And it listed 2 sliders for the MASTER setting. Which I placed as the configuration on the picture thats on the HARD DRIVE itself. Is there anything that needs to be done in the CMOS setup? I checked and its on AUTO. Whats missing here, and why isnt it working? Thanks

Edit: Actually I checked the CMOS setup and it recognizes the HD. But it stays on the PCI device listing screen and doesnt load up.

[ October 10, 2005, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: venomized93 ]

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com