Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need Computer Help! (Comp wont start window boot up) (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Need Computer Help! (Comp wont start window boot up)
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Last night, I turned off my comp by pushing the button (I was a little faded). Anyhow I went to start it up today and it brought me to the windows did not start.

Choose:
SAfe mode
last mode known working and a few other options,

So I first chose the last known working mode, and it would reboot and go through the process, but then throw me back to the option list again. That is mentioned above this paragraph. So then I chose SAFE MODE and same thing. What the hell is going on? What do I do now? And when its rebooting a blue screen blinks real fast with some wording, but immediately goes away and puts me in that list thing again. Thanks

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you get a chance run scandisk?

almost sounds like a bad cluster on your harddrive... a blue screen on XP indicates a hardware issue that windows didnt like.

if you have a spare harddrive, swap that in and install xp... then slave your other harddrive in and run a good scan disk.

are you on a 2nd computer that you can use for t/s'ing?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:

almost sounds like a bad cluster on your harddrive... a blue screen on XP indicates a hardware issue that windows didnt like.

if you have a spare harddrive, swap that in and install xp... then slave your other harddrive in and run a good scan disk.

It doesnt allow me to get that far. Im on my roomates comp. Can you give me a little more details on how to do that? Thanks

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the blue screen sounds like itsthe bios screen which is normal.
What did the blue screen say?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:

not if its flashing by that quick, you have to try and enter the bios [Wink]
it sounds like the mobo manufacterers logo.

[ October 07, 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

my bios flashes by so fast that if you blink you'll miss it. [Razz]

[ October 07, 2005, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Cobra5.0Jeep ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
Originally posted by venomized93:
quote:

It doesnt allow me to get that far. Im on my roomates comp. Can you give me a little more details on how to do that? Thanks
Are you familiar with clearing the CMOS(bios)?

With power off, open the case... and look on the mother board. There are 3 pins on the mobo, that CMOS silk screened right next to it. There should be 2 pins that have a jumper on them. Just move the jumper over to the un-used pin for a sec and then return it to its normal spot.

do you have a spare/extra harddrive that has nothing on it?

if so, Turn off and unplug your computer..
swap the extra one out with your old one. Make sure that the jumpers are the same on the back!
now plug it all in, the eide cable and power cable, plug in the comp and pop in the xp disk, and see if windows will install on that harddrive.

If it does, it sounds like your old hardrive has a bad cluster... you can isolate those bad sectors (in windows)... but imo, just replace it.

if it WONT install, you have a problem else where... post up the results

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
quote:
quote:

my bios flashes by so fast that if you blink you'll miss it. [Razz]
thats the status screen [Wink] not the actual BIOS screen... if your computer was going into the bios by itself everytime you booted, you'd be having some major issues going on with your computer.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If last known and safe mode don't work you will have to re-install. You can try to boot off of your os cd first and try to repair it, if you have that option otherwise you will be stuck doing a re-install.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oops I hit reply instead of edit

quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:
If last known and safe mode don't work you will have to re-install. You can try to boot off of your os cd first and try to repair it, if you have that option otherwise you will be stuck doing a re-install.

FYI a blue screen can mean anything. theres a code it will throw up and that will give you an idea of where the problem lies. Sounds like to me that you got infected with a virus. I forget which one it is but there is one that will just throw your computer into a loop when It goes to boot up.

[ October 07, 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: bunchmyfunky ]

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
oops I hit reply instead of edit

quote:

FYI a blue screen can mean anything. theres a code it will throw up and that will give you an idea of where the problem lies. Sounds like to me that you got infected with a virus. I forget which one it is but there is one that will just throw your computer into a loop when It goes to boot up.
that one is awesome... mcaffee, norton, panda, and a few others didnt pick it up... but anti-vir did.

gotta love virii [Smile]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

5.0Caliber
¯
Member # 5865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Caliber  Ford pictures for 5.0Caliber    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try doing the last known option and if you have windows xp, do a system restore. I know that prob isnt enough info but I dont know how to do it really but I somehow pulled it off [Wink] .

--------------------
Non-rice 05 Civic LX

Im a rookie all over again.

# 4904

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

quote:

I have that CD. But it gets to an option about formatting on C:/ and that info will be lost. Will I lose everything thats on D: All my music and videos are on that drive. I also have important stuff on C:. Will I just lose that portion of C where windows is at? LEt me know. Im scared to push enter and lose all my info. Thanks

By the way, it lets me choose last save configuration to work, or safe mode and a couple others. But all it does is reboot and throws me back into that screen where I can choose. So its not working properly. When its in reboot, a blue screen flashes for split second, that has writing in white. But its so fast that I cant even see what it says.

[ October 08, 2005, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: venomized93 ]

--------------------

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

quote:
Originally posted by 5.0Caliber:
Try doing the last known option and if you have windows xp, do a system restore. I know that prob isnt enough info but I dont know how to do it really but I somehow pulled it off [Wink] .

Did that, all it does is reboot and throws me back to choosing those options again. How do I do a system restore? Does that delete everything? Thanks

[ October 08, 2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: venomized93 ]

--------------------

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

I have a C: D: can I work with that somehow?

--------------------

5.0Caliber
¯
Member # 5865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Caliber  Ford pictures for 5.0Caliber    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My comp did that too, I picked the last known good config option and would reboot but with the problem still there, and if i turned on my modem it would reboot and go right back to the options screen, but if you can get your system to reboot and get to the normal screen (and if you have windows xp) click the start button and choose help and support, under pick a task it says "undo changes to your computer with system restore" then follow the steps. Hope that helps [patriot]

--------------------
Non-rice 05 Civic LX

Im a rookie all over again.

# 4904

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

System restore never works when i screw something up.
Sounds like you got a virus or something cause turning off the switch shouldn't have screwed anything up.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

How about the CD I have? WINDOWS XP OS restore. What can I do with that? Im trying to salvage my info though.

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

you can put it in and run it off the disc and see if it can fix your OS. When your computer boots up it'll ask you if you want to boot from the disc by pressing any button, do that and then it will ask you if you want to reinstall or try fixing your OS go to the fixing the OS one.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

quote:
you can put it in and run it off the disc and see if it can fix your OS. When your computer boots up it'll ask you if you want to boot from the disc by pressing any button, do that and then it will ask you if you want to reinstall or try fixing your OS go to the fixing the OS one.

Im doing it now. And chose the fixing one, and it just says C:/ type EXIT to reboot system. Its not really doing anything right now. and I did the EXIT thing and its still doing the same.

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
quote:

Im doing it now. And chose the fixing one, and it just says C:/ type EXIT to reboot system. Its not really doing anything right now. and I did the EXIT thing and its still doing the same.
have you tried it without exiting it?
i think you just stopped it from doing whatever it was doing. You have to have patience especially if its a slow ass computer. It'll take a couple of minutes maybe an hour to do its thing.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Its not indicating that its working on anything. But I will let it sit and see what it does within the next 30-60 minutes.

Type EXIT to quit RECOVER CONSOLE to reboot sytem

C:/

Thats exactly what it says, and nothing else looks like its working.

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

personally, doing it the way I suggested is easier... it takes longer, yes, but that way you have a much better chance of windows not over-writing something on accident. With slaving the harddrive with the corrupted o/s to a good fresh install, you would have a better chance at getting your info.

and yes, just turning off the comp can cause havoc... maybe not if you do it everyonce in never, but Ive seen it happen many many times

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

quote:
personally, doing it the way I suggested is easier... it takes longer, yes, but that way you have a much better chance of windows not over-writing something on accident. With slaving the harddrive with the corrupted o/s to a good fresh install, you would have a better chance at getting your info.

and yes, just turning off the comp can cause havoc... maybe not if you do it everyonce in never, but Ive seen it happen many many times

94gt I want to try your way, but I dont want to mess anything up. Alright, this may sound stupid, But when you refer to another hard drive. Dont I have 2? C: and D:. Or is that on one drive? Let me know. Thanks

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
quote:

94gt I want to try your way, but I dont want to mess anything up. Alright, this may sound stupid, But when you refer to another hard drive. Dont I have 2? C: and D:. Or is that on one drive? Let me know. Thanks
unless you have your main harddrive partioned (which I'm guessing is not the case) C: would be your harddrive, and D: should be your cdrom/dvd drive.

hit up the net, and shop for the best deal on a harddrive.

Also, is your computer a custom build, or an OEM piece, i.e. dell, compaq, gateway?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com