Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help me diagnose my Drivetrain vibration??? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help me diagnose my Drivetrain vibration???
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
====

[ February 15, 2010, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i hate to say it, but could be input shaft bearing in the trans. could of just went out, or on the install of the trans it was put in maybe rough, and damaged the pilot bearing which then wore out the input bearing, hard one to know for sure unless u pull the trans. but that whats my guess is.
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
i hate to say it, but could be input shaft bearing in the trans. could of just went out, or on the install of the trans it was put in maybe rough, and damaged the pilot bearing which then wore out the input bearing, hard one to know for sure unless u pull the trans. but that whats my guess is.

I'm starting to think its a trans issue as well. My trans is super notchy, sometimes its hard to get in to 1st & reverse.... When you engage the clutch, the rattle goes away, but you can still feel a little vibration, but not as bad.....Thanks

[ January 23, 2010, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Anybody else?

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but if 1 of my coils was bad, would it throw a code?

--------------------

Stimpys 5.0
¯
Member # 5829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimpys 5.0  Ford pictures for Stimpys 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
coil pack? im pretty sure you would get a random misfire or which ever # cyl misfire code. i think this is what your asking right?

--------------------
1989 burgundy coupe
1968 mustang 289 - 4 speed
1989 white lx (totalled)

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Stimpys 5.0:
coil pack? im pretty sure you would get a random misfire or which ever # cyl misfire code. i think this is what your asking right?

Yup. Thats exactly what I was asking...

--------------------

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by EPIK:
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but if 1 of my coils was bad, would it throw a code?

weak coil or coils wont thorw a code to see it you would haveto put on a scope
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:
quote:

weak coil or coils wont thorw a code to see it you would haveto put on a scope
Hmmm. Maybe some or 1 of my coils are going bad? How do I find out? I did have a misfire code once a while back, but I cleared the code & it went away.

I am thinking I am having 2 problems with my car. I know the trans is having issues, but I still think the engine is running a bit different as well...

[ January 24, 2010, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if this is your 01, i believe your coil would throw a code, maybe not a coil code, but there would be a misfire code.simple enough tho start unpluging one at a time and see if theres a difference and plug back in and move onto the next one. if you do find one, swap that coil with another, to see if not computer prob, but doubt it if its this at all, cause i think you would have a miss fire code. what was the last code
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

====

[ February 15, 2010, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

hmmm , your gonna have to get a ohm meter and start testin each coil, and then i would just do a compresion test to make sure your just not wastin your time while the coils are out anyways, just me thoughts, good luck
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
hmmm , your gonna have to get a ohm meter and start testin each coil, and then i would just do a compresion test to make sure your just not wastin your time while the coils are out anyways, just me thoughts, good luck

Thanks man... I want to do a compression test, just need someone to help because I dont have a tester. I hope its not something to do with a low compression though because I wont have the dough to fix that. [Frown]

[ January 24, 2010, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

Stimpys 5.0
¯
Member # 5829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimpys 5.0  Ford pictures for Stimpys 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not sure if anyone has suggested this or not, but you can also pull the injector harness from each inj. to see if the injector is working or not. just something to look @. Are you having a slight miss or whats it doing?

i can give you a hand running a comp test on it lmk...... ill turn the key for you!

[ January 24, 2010, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Stimpys 5.0 ]

--------------------
1989 burgundy coupe
1968 mustang 289 - 4 speed
1989 white lx (totalled)

BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruhBrahBrad  Ford pictures for BruhBrahBrad  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Harmonic balancer is my guess, I recently had a balancer go out on me, and it had the exact same symptons. Look and see if you can see the rubber poking out of it. Im surprised no one else as suggested this.
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Stimpys 5.0:
not sure if anyone has suggested this or not, but you can also pull the injector harness from each inj. to see if the injector is working or not. just something to look @. Are you having a slight miss or whats it doing?

i can give you a hand running a comp test on it lmk...... ill turn the key for you!

A few months back, it did feel like it had a slight miss in low RPM's, but right now it seems fine. But, the exhaust has been sounding a bit different to me, but its hard to tell....

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Mach 5oh:
Harmonic balancer is my guess, I recently had a balancer go out on me, and it had the exact same symptons. Look and see if you can see the rubber poking out of it. Im surprised no one else as suggested this.

I thought I checked it a while ago, & I don't remember seeing any rubber poking out, but it could be a possibility.

I really need someone local to look it over...

--------------------

BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruhBrahBrad  Ford pictures for BruhBrahBrad  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

I thought I checked it a while ago, & I don't remember seeing any rubber poking out, but it could be a possibility.

Yeah I've learned that, You cant always check it looking in from the hood, sometimes you need to raise up the front of car and get underneath it. I also remembered checking the balancer on my car, and it looked fine with just a quick visual inspection looking down onto it. But about 3-4 days later, it blew the hole ring or whatever off. Rubber Flew out onto my garage floor, luckily it decided to let go at my house.
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah I've learned that, You cant always check it looking in from the hood, sometimes you need to raise up the front of car and get underneath it. I also remembered checking the balancer on my car, and it looked fine with just a quick visual inspection looking down onto it. But about 3-4 days later, it blew the hole ring or whatever off. Rubber Flew out onto my garage floor, luckily it decided to let go at my house.
I will have to check my balancer than. Thanks for the input.

--------------------

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That rattle noise from the trans is probably the throw out bearing. Try tighting up the clutch cable a bit. It may help you 1st gear & reverse shifting. I used to grind into reverse all the time, then solved the problem by going into 1st to reverse instead of just shifting straight to reverse. Then again the schronizer of 1st/reverse can be worn.

I also think you have a bad harmonic balancer.

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
That rattle noise from the trans is probably the throw out bearing. Try tighting up the clutch cable a bit. It may help you 1st gear & reverse shifting. I used to grind into reverse all the time, then solved the problem by going into 1st to reverse instead of just shifting straight to reverse. Then again the schronizer of 1st/reverse can be worn.

I also think you have a bad harmonic balancer.

It could be, but I have adjusted my clutch a few different times & it never helped. The clutch, flywheel, & TOB only have about 6k miles on them at the most. My trans has had the grinding isues for a while, but from what I remember the noise & vibration are recent. I hope the vibration is only a bad balancer, that will be an easy fix

--------------------

BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Let us know how it goes.
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any update?

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:
Any update?

Not yet... Nobody has stepped up to the plate to offer to take a look at it. Im probably just gonna put it up in the air tonight & take a look at the motor mounts & balancer...

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

+++

[ February 15, 2010, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com