Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » overheating problem (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: overheating problem
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i put a new water pump, new radiator,new electric fan, new thermostat and the shit keeps on overheating what the hell could it be i need help [Confused] please

--------------------
Ill keep my guns and my money, you can have the change

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thermostat in upside down.. [Confused]

How are the radiator hoses, they could be collapsing when they heat up? [Confused]

Just trying to throw some ideas out there

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey thanks 03svt power ill double check all that i appreciate it

--------------------

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would personally check the fan "Clutch". I had the same problem, before I owned Apex, with my car... Ran fine when it was on the freeway BUT once it got into stop and go traffic it overheated. We changed EVERYTHING.. thermostat, New Fluidyne Radiator, .. nothing helped until the fan clutch was replaced.

Mike Mak
Apex Motorsports
ApexMotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: 408/588-0075 Fax: 408/588-0089

Griggs Racing, Maximum Motorsports, Evolution Motosports, SCT, Racelogic, H&R, Ford racing, Kenne Bell, MAC, Bassani, Vortech, Powerdyne, AMSoil, Koni, Hawk, AFR, Tokico, Baer Racing, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Diablosport

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Apexmotorsports:
I would personally check the fan "Clutch". I had the same problem, before I owned Apex, with my car... Ran fine when it was on the freeway BUT once it got into stop and go traffic it overheated. We changed EVERYTHING.. thermostat, New Fluidyne Radiator, .. nothing helped until the fan clutch was replaced.

Mike Mak
Apex Motorsports
ApexMotorsports.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Griggs Racing, Maximum Motorsports, Evolution Motosports, SCT, Racelogic, H&R, Ford racing, Kenne Bell, MAC, Bassani, Vortech, Powerdyne, AMSoil, Koni, Hawk, AFR, Tokico, Baer Racing, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Diablosport

he has an electric fan

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's possible his fan is not generating enough RPMs to produce sufficient air flow.

Mike Mak
Apex Motorsports
ApexMotorsports.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Griggs Racing, Maximum Motorsports, Evolution Motosports, SCT, Racelogic, H&R, Ford racing, Kenne Bell, MAC, Bassani, Vortech, Powerdyne, AMSoil, Koni, Hawk, AFR, Tokico, Baer Racing, Magnaflow, Flowmaster

[ September 03, 2005, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is the electric fan that you have have a adjustable theromostat that has a knob on top of the fan? my car over heated once becuase i was fixing something and i accidently hit the knob and turned it to the right all the way so the fan would turn on when the temp would it 240* but i turn it all the way to the left and at litte tot eh right so it would turn on at 190* i have a 180* thermo,
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

yeah i have an adjustable thermostat for the fan i got it to turn on at half ways in between the temp gauge and it was running fine for about 4 months then it started overheating bad specially in city driving so i lower it some more but it still overheating i just dont know what else to do ill problable just sell it

--------------------

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
turn the knob all the way to the left and then trn it back to the right just a little like 1/8 turn and that should cure the fan not turning on
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My brother had the same problem when he put an electric fan, turned out to be one of the fuses. Check em out.

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is the fan running while the car is up to temp?

if not, just install a switch and bypass the temp sensor, so you can make it run when you want to.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
radiator cap? Is it on a 66' or a 92'?

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

its on the 92. radiator cap is new aswell the fan goes on when its supposed to.thing thats worrying me is i need this car to get to work and back and i dont wnat to pop the engine or mess up the heads, that shit expensive.any other ideas on what it could be guys???

--------------------

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you checked if the thermistat was backwards?

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

so does the fan turn on at all? if you want to make sure that it turns on at all, the thermo probe that you stick in to the radiator, has to wires that go into it, touch those to wires together and the fan should start, if it doesnt, check the fuses, and the wireing
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

well thermostat is fine fan goes on perfectly i just fininshed checking it and im gonna try the coolant temperature sensor man this sucks i just took it out for a 2 mile drive and it overheated and started to leak antifreeze im getting really frustraded [Mad]

--------------------

stangnut
¯
Member # 5937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangnut  Ford pictures for stangnut    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go too the store an buy a cooler box with some ice or a super soaker, an when that bad boy heat's up ! better put a woopin two to it with you new arsonal!lol
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should check to make sure fan is wired correctly and is pulling air thru the radiator instead of pushing.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the fan you bought flow enough? Does it pull enough cfm's through for your application? Basically is it meant for a 5.0 or is it a universal one you get from kragens? Also does it pull or push? It should pull but if you reversed the wiring it will push air to the front of the car instead of pulling air through the radiator. Also warm it up and compare the heater hose temps, if one is significantlly cooler than the other your heater core could be clogged. If thats the case by-pass it and see if it still runs hot.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there a temp guage on the car, or are you using the stock guage? If you've replaced all that and it still gets hot, then something else is wrong, like a blown head gasket.
What exactly does it do when it overheats?
Dennis

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

well the fan is pushing air i cant remember how much cfm it pushes i did have it pulling air for a wgile but it got to hot I went ahead and reversed it to pushing air and it was cooling good for about 4 months. im gonna go check the heater hoses right now ill post back about results in a bit thanks man.
it also has the stock temp gauge. when im driving the car it seems the temperature seems to go up when the car is under load not so much as when im sitting at a red light

--------------------

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

A pic would help. Is the fan installed in front of the radiator or the back? Is it in the engine bay? Does it have a shroud?

--------------------

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

fan is behind radiator in the engine bay it also does have the shroud on. how can i check to see if it could be a head gasket problem???

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by migs66/92:
fan is behind radiator in the engine bay it also does have the shroud on. how can i check to see if it could be a head gasket problem???

Head gasket problem, you would see milky oil(check dipstick) you would see white steam/"smoke" coming out of tailpipes and you could usually smell it if you get next to tailpipes.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

if the fan is behind the radiator on the engine side it needs to be pulling air through the radiator towards the engine.

does the fan run constantly while the car is running?

When the temp control relay died on my black magic fan the fan would click on, then off after 5 seconds, then trip on again later, but it wouldn't stay running and the car would overheat.

my solution was to wire a switch to the fan to bypass the temp sensor, so I just switched the fan on when it was up to temp and turned it off if it was running too cold (like on freeway).

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com