Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wheels stick out!!!! HELP!! (PROBLEM SOLVED)(PICS ADDED 5/14) (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wheels stick out!!!! HELP!! (PROBLEM SOLVED)(PICS ADDED 5/14)
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You may remember this topic from a while back. I converted to a SN-95 Front brake setup.
Parts used:
SN-95 spindles from a 95
SN-95 Calipers
Powerslot rotors
SS lines
94GT MC
18x9 saleen replica wheels (24mm offset/5.95 BS)
Front control arms from MM. Part # M-3075-A
http://maximummotorsports.com/fordcontrolarm.asp

My wheels stick out to far in the front preventing me from lowering my car. It seems like this issue is only arising on my car, as all the other cars I've checked out w/ the same wheel setup fit fine. The only think that I could think of is that MM sent me the wrong front control arms??, but after checking my invoice it states the correct part as #M-3075-A. I just can't believe that my car can be different from every other fax mustang out there.

Any suggestions, fixes, or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Would anyone be willing to trade there stock fox a-arms for my new ones? Please help as I would love to finally start driving my car. [Frown]

-

-

Thanks [patriot]

[ May 14, 2006, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have any side shots of that car?
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
do you have any side shots of that car?

-

-

--------------------
91 GT

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 17x8 bullitts with a 5.72" backspacing. That means that your rims would stick out 0.72" further on my car than my Bullitts do. If I had 18x9's with a 5.95 BS, I would expect my rims to stick out more, but not quite as far as yours are doing.

Here is a pic of how my rims stick out  -

A couple things to check.

1.) make sure you are using 94-95 spindles and not 96+ spindles. Make sure the tire rod arm on the spindle is curved.

2.) post a pic of your front control arms. I can tell visually between a 87-93 and a 94+ arm.

3.) are you sure your rims have a 5.95 BS?

4.) increasing the negative camber can make the wheel tuck more and appear to stick out less as well, but don't count too much on this option

5.) the 86 5.0 K-member (same as 87-94 4 cyl)tucks each wheel in 0.5" per side. This would be a major project, but it is just another option.

Everyone on the net says the 94-95 spindles preserve stock front track, but I have heard of a lot of people having problems with 17x9/18x9 5.95BS rims with their 94-95 spindles. Everyone I know using the Mark Vii rotors and stock spindles seems too have no problems at all with those wheels sticking out.

This is what it should look like:

-

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that looks nice.
Is the k member on 4cyls different than the one on 5.0s? i have a 91 former 4cyl. i'm about to install the sn95 spindles. will they stick out as much as cleen 50s?
Thanks.
Jersey

--------------------
=(

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Everyone on the net says the 94-95 spindles preserve stock front track, but I have heard of a lot of people having problems with 17x9/18x9 5.95BS rims with their 94-95 spindles. Everyone I know using the Mark Vii rotors and stock spindles seems too have no problems at all with those wheels sticking out.

This is what it should look like:

- [/QB]

I was afraid someone was going to say that [Frown] . I heard that from some guy on corral.net too, but I have seen other use the SN-95 setup and it works fine. I beleive venomous99 has the same setup w/o the control arms and his wheels fit fine. Is there anyway to check the control arms w/o having to take them off, unfortunately I dont have any pics of the actual FCA's on my car [Mad] This is really pissing me off. [Mad]

Thanks

P.S. those white notches look sweet [worship] [Eek!]

[ November 02, 2005, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The white notch on Bullitts is mine. The notch with the Saleen's I found online.

If you jack up your car, and snap a pic of the arm for me, I'll tell you if it is a 94+ arm.

To tell you the truth, my 94 spindles and 17x8 bullitts rubbed when my car was a bit lower. I got the Bullitt springs and it raised the car 1/2 inch anmd all the rubbing went away.

If I had 9 inch 5.95BS rims with my current 94 spindles, it would rub BAD on the outer fender!!!

Are you sure about the wheel backspacing?

People on the corral should be able to help you.

For the other guy, the 4 cyl k-member will bring your wheels in 0.5" per side

--------------------
Stangless

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
The white notch on Bullitts is mine. The notch with the Saleen's I found online.

If you jack up your car, and snap a pic of the arm for me, I'll tell you if it is a 94+ arm.

To tell you the truth, my 94 spindles and 17x8 bullitts rubbed when my car was a bit lower. I got the Bullitt springs and it raised the car 1/2 inch anmd all the rubbing went away.

If I had 9 inch 5.95BS rims with my current 94 spindles, it would rub BAD on the outer fender!!!

Are you sure about the wheel backspacing?

People on the corral should be able to help you.

For the other guy, the 4 cyl k-member will bring your wheels in 0.5" per side

Positive about the BS as the replicas are only made in (18x9 24mm offset and 5.95 BS) or (18x10 24mm)

[Mad] Dammit [Mad] I do not want to switch back to my stock spindles (which I do not have, and lincoln rotors w/ the 73mm SVO calipers. What a big waste of time and money. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

i'll to get those pics ASAP. thanks [patriot]

[ November 02, 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Don't give up just yet...

I have a feeling something is wrong with your set-up. You just have to figure it out.

Also, what size are your front tires? It looks like those tires are bulging quite a bit.

[ November 02, 2005, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

quote:

I have a feeling something is wrong with your set-up. You just have to figure it out.

Also, what size are your front tires?

245/45 18's all around. Thanks [patriot]

--------------------
91 GT

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Also, what size are your front tires? It looks like those tires are bulging quite a bit.

Before swapping stuff out why not just swap rims w/ someone else first.....you never know about those replicas [Roll Eyes] depending on who you got them from....

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good info Luke87GT [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm willing to bet those are 1996 or younger spindles because that is just what my car looked like when I did mine eith 1996 spindles!
We measured it and the difference is 1/2 inch just enough to make it stick out like that!

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm willing to bet those are 1996 or younger spindles because that is just what my car looked like when I did mine eith 1996 spindles!
We measured it and the difference is 1/2 inch just enough to make it stick out like that!
by the way I used the same lower control arms that is not your problem!

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the 94/95 spindles on my 92 which had the fr500 9" wide with 5.95" backspacing and 245 tires. the wheels do not stick out at all and not anywhere close to cleen50s.
really odd..im hope someone figures this one out cuz it has everyone stumped

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you replace the tie rods with 95+ units? I was just reading in MMFF last night that you need to use diff tie rod ends. What about the ball joint?

Anyway... Check out the latest copy of MMFF in the letters to the editor part... there's a question just like yours answered beautifully with lots of detail.

FWIW... I woudn't think that 18x9 will work up front with the updated spindles on a Fox. You might want to check on that but, I'd think the wheels would be just too damn wide no matter what.

BTW... does it look to anyone else like he's got a bit of positive camber going on?

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

No I did not replace my tie-rods w/ 95+ units, they are the stock units. This is what MM says about the ball joints, "front control arms on 1979-93 Mustangs with improved low-friction ball joints and inner bushings". I'm guessing those are the sn-95 ball joints [Confused]

Thanks I'll be sure to pick up that mag today. [patriot] Hopefully it will shed some light on this nightmare.

[ November 03, 2005, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

as was said above,
the first thing I would do is borrow someones 9 inch 5.95BS rims.

Get someone else's Saleen wheel, or borrows someone's 95 cobra R as they have the same backspacing and rim width. Put them on and see if they stick out the same amount.

When you are dealing with an aftermarket rim company, anything is possible. I would not be suprised if they sent you the wrong backspacing...
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
as was said above,

Get someone else's Saleen wheel, or borrows someone's 95 cobra R as they have the same backspacing and rim width. Put them on and see if they stick out the same amount.

When you are dealing with an aftermarket rim company, anything is possible. I would not be suprised if they sent you the wrong backspacing...
Luke

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
as was said above,

Luke

i dont think the wheels are the problem. i saw the rears on his and they sit just about right for a 9"(5.95) backspacing using stock length axles.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
quote:
as was said above,

Luke

i dont think the wheels are the problem. i saw the rears on his and they sit just about right for a 9"(5.95) backspacing using stock length axles.
Thanks venomous99 . [patriot] I also swapped the rears and the front thinking it was the problem, but it was the same thing when I put the rear wheel up front.
[Mad] [Frown]

Looks like I'm going to have to buy some stock A-arms and swap them out to eliminate that possibility or hopefully fix the problem.

Luke87Gt do you think I you could take a look at my control arms, unfortunately my camera has now decided to break. [Mad] [Mad]

[ November 03, 2005, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey. i really don't think it is the a arms you should be concerned about. are you sure those are sn95 spindles? totally positive? because if you have the 96s then the tires will stick out.
Good luck.

--------------------
=(

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
Originally posted by CLEEN 50:
quote:
quote:
as was said above,

Luke

Thanks venomous99 . [patriot] I also swapped the rears and the front thinking it was the problem, but it was the same thing when I put the rear wheel up front.
[Mad] [Frown]

Looks like I'm going to have to buy some stock A-arms and swap them out to eliminate that possibility or hopefully fix the problem.

Luke87Gt do you think I you could take a look at my control arms, unfortunately my camera has now decided to break. [Mad] [Mad]

No problem at all. If you take a pic of the arms and the spindles, I will be happy to help you out.
Just send them over.

This might be a stretch for you, but if you are ever in the Pinole area, I'd be happy to take a look at the entire set-up for you.

I can measure your rim backspacing, tell you if you are using 94+ a-arms and tell you what spindles you have.

That will eliminate 3 of the possible things that are causing your prob.

Here is a question. Are you using steering rack limiters? If you have 93 a-arms, with 94-95 spindles, and 9 inch rims with 5.95BS, your rims should rub the a-arm BADLY when turning at full lock, assuming you are not using limiters.

--------------------
Stangless

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
as was said above,

Luke

[Mad] [Frown]

No problem at all. If you take a pic of the arms and the spindles, I will be happy to help you out.
Just send them over.

This might be a stretch for you, but if you are ever in the Pinole area, I'd be happy to take a look at the entire set-up for you.

I can measure your rim backspacing, tell you if you are using 94+ a-arms and tell you what spindles you have.

Here is a question. Are you using steering rack limiters? If you have 93 a-arms, with 94-95 spindles, and 9 inch rims with 5.95BS, your rims should rub the a-arm BADLY when turning at full lock, assuming you are not using limiters.

The funny thing is that they really dont rub at all. And I dont have rack limiters at all. My GF lives up near Pinole when I head up there I'll shoot you a PM [Wink] Thanks [patriot]

[ November 04, 2005, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
as was said above,

Luke

[Mad] [Frown]

Just send them over.

The funny thing is that they really dont rub at all. And I dont have rack limiters at all. My GF lives up near Pinole when I head up there I'll shoot you a PM [Wink] Thanks [patriot]
Ya, lol, they don't rub because your rims are pushed out far as fukc.

Feel free to drop me a PM or email me if you will be in this area. I'd be happy to investigate it for you.
luke87gt@yahoo.com

--------------------
Stangless

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com