Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » White players only basketball league (Page 9)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: White players only basketball league
1989lx5.0
¯
Member # 3699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1989lx5.0  Ford pictures for 1989lx5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SPIDER_STANG:
quote:
Originally posted by 1989lx5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by SPIDER_STANG:
1989 I'm tired of talking about this but when MTV first came out Blacks were not on T.V!! MJ was the first to ever be on that station! Which changed the way they did things from their on out!!! before you speak go research ya thoughts!! LoL

actually YOU are wrong and may want to research YOUR thoughts lol, mj was not the first black person to be on the station below is quoted from wiki, also they had a black vj by the name of jj jackson when they started. [Wink]

During MTV's first few years on the air, very few black artists were included in rotation on the channel. Those who were in MTV's rotation included Eddy Grant, Tina Turner and Donna Summer. The very first non-white act played on MTV in the US was UK band The Specials, which featured an integrated line-up of white and black musicians and vocalists. The Specials' video "Rat Race" was played as the 58th video on the station's first day of broadcasting.[24]

MTV rejected other black artists' videos, such as Rick James' "Super Freak," because they didn't fit the channel's rock dominated format at the time. The exclusion enraged James; he publicly advocated the addition of more black artists' videos on the channel. Rock legend David Bowie also questioned MTV's lack of black artists during an on-air interview with VJ Mark Goodman in 1983.[25] MTV's original head of talent and acquisition, Carolyn B. Baker, who was black, had questioned why the definition of music had to be so narrow, as had a few others.

Before 1983, Michael Jackson also struggled to receive airtime on MTV.[26] To resolve the struggle and finally "break the color barrier", the president of CBS Records at the time, Walter Yetnikoff, denounced MTV in a strong, profane statement, threatening to take away MTV's ability to play any of the record label's music videos.[26][27] However, Les Garland, then acquisitions head, said he decided to air Jackson's "Billie Jean" video without pressure from CBS.[25] This was contradicted by CBS head of Business Affairs David Benjamin in Vanity Fair.[6] In any case, MTV began showing the "Billie Jean" video in regular rotation in 1983, forming a lengthy partnership with Jackson and helping other black music artists.[28]

According to The Austin Chronicle, Jackson's video for the song "Billie Jean" was "the video that broke the color barrier, even though the channel itself was responsible for erecting that barrier in the first place."[29] After airing Jackson's music videos, MTV, then a struggling cable channel, became very popular. Jackson's videos were credited for this success[30] and MTV's focus switched from rock to pop and R&B.[28] This move helped other black artists such as Prince, Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson break into heavy rotation on the channel. Jonathan Cohen of Billboard magazine commented Janet Jackson's "accessible sound and spectacularly choreographed videos were irresistible to MTV, and helped the channel evolve from rock programming to a broader, beat-driven musical mix."

Wrong!!! Google first black artist on MTV??
and what about jj jackson he was black and on mtv?
before billy jean.

--------------------
1979 pace car

1985 svo

www.californiafords.com the better calfords

Posts: 552 | From: near fresno | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackfifty  Ford pictures for blackfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Geez I guess i'm a little late on this but hell this is racist as it gets first of all theyannounced this the day before mlk jr day and the commisioner "moose" bashes on Gilbert arenas saying that other leagues and street hoops played primarily by minorities are basically stupid and are full of horrible people kinda harsh. Now they don't even have enough people to hav on the roster imagine having try outs in Oakland pssht goodluck making it home. This is garbage. I wonder if they allow Jews?

--------------------
03 Terminator

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
btw, can someone catch me up on the side chatter about BET and MTV? I missed that part.
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blackfifty:
Geez I guess i'm a little late on this but hell this is racist as it gets first of all theyannounced this the day before mlk jr day and the commisioner "moose" bashes on Gilbert arenas saying that other leagues and street hoops played primarily by minorities are basically stupid and are full of horrible people kinda harsh. Now they don't even have enough people to hav on the roster imagine having try outs in Oakland pssht goodluck making it home. This is garbage. I wonder if they allow Jews?

i wouldnt hold a "try out" in oakland, the wrong kind of shootout would be bound to happen....
why is this thread open lol

n8 wears wooden sketchers

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmadison007  Ford pictures for rmadison007    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NavidR:
I don't agree with any segregation (white basketball or a black college), but in all reality black people do this shit all the time. Black fraternities, etc. OH how about BET ?????? can you imagine if someone came out the WET (hahaha thats funny) but can you imgagine how bad the black people would CRY!

Don't get me wrong I don't qualify to play on the league either.

Yeah the channels for WET are MTV, VH1, and CMT...also every other channel until around the 70's...It is crazy how an article suggesting the creation of an all white basketball league is supported by the notions the black colleges, tv shows and corporations were created under the same pretense...Thanks N8...I actually appreciate that you brought this thread up...all the different responses are very enlightening, but not to surprising...IMO the lack of education on what these black organizations represent and why and when they were found is at the root of the misunderstanding...Also it would be a very entertaining to actually see a game played under this leagues rules...
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rmadison007:
quote:
I don't agree with any segregation (white basketball or a black college), but in all reality black people do this shit all the time. Black fraternities, etc. OH how about BET ?????? can you imagine if someone came out the WET (hahaha thats funny) but can you imgagine how bad the black people would CRY!

Yeah the channels for WET are MTV, VH1, and CMT...also every other channel until around the 70's...It is crazy how an article suggesting the creation of an all white basketball league is supported by the notions the black colleges, tv shows and corporations were created under the same pretense...Thanks N8...I actually appreciate that you brought this thread up...all the different responses are very enlightening, but not to surprising...IMO the lack of education on what these black organizations represent and why and when they were found is at the root of the misunderstanding...Also it would be a very entertaining to actually see a game played under this leagues rules...
ugh cmt is country music a type of music,mtv is mostly black performers and vh1 is for middleaged men of any race lol [patriot]
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just heard clayton bigsby is gonna do commentary [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmadison007  Ford pictures for rmadison007    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0-srt-4:
quote:
Originally posted by rmadison007:
quote:

ugh cmt is country music a type of music,mtv is mostly black performers and vh1 is for middleaged men of any race lol [patriot]
Well as I stated before BET was established to be a cable channel specifically geared towards an african american audience...Shortly after BET there were channels created that are specifically geared toward Asians, Hispanics, and other ethnicities...To use this as a basis for reasoning that since there is a BET, than it should be ok to have a basketball league only allowing pure breed whites men to play is ignorant...Also if there was such a thing a WET what would be on it?
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ I don't know what WET would show......maybe repeats of friends, happy days, love boat, price is right, doctor who, star trek next generation, perfect strangers...... But I know there would be a few mayo comercials. [Smile]

Personally I get a kick out of watching BET....... I was lmfao at the coverage of election night. It's sad to me that so many people judge people by color.... Or that people are quick to defend someone because " they " are of the same nationality.
( OJ being a perfect example and the boxer MANNY being another)
Just my take on it [patriot]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

fr5.0
¯
Member # 8652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fr5.0  Ford pictures for fr5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by slowback67:
^ I don't know what WET would show......maybe repeats of friends, happy days, love boat, price is right, doctor who, star trek next generation, perfect strangers...... But I know there would be a few mayo comercials. [Smile]

Personally I get a kick out of watching BET....... I was lmfao at the coverage of election night. It's sad to me that so many people judge people by color.... Or that people are quick to defend someone because " they " are of the same nationality.
( OJ being a perfect example and the boxer MANNY being another)
Just my take on it [patriot]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubV3t9_CwDc

--------------------
MAGA
TRUMP TRAIN!!!!

Posts: 2913 | From: sacramento | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com