Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Who is doing tuning for our cobras these days? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who is doing tuning for our cobras these days?
klonoa
¯
Member # 1771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for klonoa  Ford pictures for klonoa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is that Jeff guy still in the business ?

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra - 454 rwhp - 470rwtq
Ex. 2001 vortech'ed v6.

Posts: 938 | From: Richmond, Cali. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took over tuning for Jeff.
It seems these days we specialize in 03/04 Cobras...they are by far the most comon car we work on. We can take care of whatever you need done. From a simple tune, to building an all-out race setup.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361317

Don't know what your time frame is, But this guy from Amazon racing is one of the best in the country. He is suppose to be coming to the Bay area in May. I would hold out for him to get a tune if I was in no hurry.

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0 5speed:

Don't know what your time frame is, But this guy from Amazon racing is one of the best in the country. He is suppose to be coming to the Bay area in May. I would hold out for him to get a tune if I was in no hurry.

He tunes at our shop. I'm not one to flame, but when he flys out to tune, he has a shit-load of cars that need to be done in a 2 day time frame (20+ cars). There's hardly any time to work out any bugs whatsoever....when they do arise. Typically if the A/F is close, it's good enough for him. He simply doesn't have the time to spend on individual setups that need attention. We typically get some good buisness after he leaves. (fixing bugs/problem cars & retuning.)

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
quote:

He tunes at our shop. I'm not one to flame, but when he flys out to tune, he has a shit-load of cars that need to be done in a 2 day time frame (20+ cars). There's hardly any time to work out any bugs whatsoever....when they do arise. Typically if the A/F is close, it's good enough for him. He simply doesn't have the time to spend on individual setups that need attention. We typically get some good buisness after he leaves. (fixing bugs/problem cars & retuning.)
Hmmm... so it's really a scam? [Eek!] [Razz] just kidding! It sounds like it's better to wait for you to tune it rather than a guy that's gonna be booked solid trying to get through a bunch of terminators to tune it.
Have you gotten a chance to tweak a few cobra's whit the new SCT tuner?

[ February 28, 2007, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

We've either tuned, or built & tuned the fasted 03/04 Cobra's in Northern California.....so, yeah we know what it takes to make these things sing. Even the older SCT software gets the job done nicely....haven't had anybody interested in the Livewire yet.

We currently have 2 9 second projects in the build stages. & another project that'll hand those their ass.
As far as I know we're the only shop 100% dragstrip oriented. From design/building a motor, portwork, custom cams, custom engines, to full drag suspenssion, solid axle conversions, auto swaps, (of course tuning), to dailing the entire car in at the dragstrip. After all, all that drag race suspenssion is fully adjustable...it's gotta be dialed in correctly for max MPH. Full customer support at the strip. That's how we do things. It's more of a hobby than a buisness. & Draging our cars at the strip is what we love to do in our spare time.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
We've either tuned, or built & tuned the fasted 03/04 Cobra's in Northern California.....so, yeah we know what it takes to make these things sing. Even the older SCT software gets the job done nicely....haven't had anybody interested in the Livewire yet.

We currently have 2 9 second projects in the build stages. & another project that'll hand those their ass.
As far as I know we're the only shop 100% dragstrip oriented. From design/building a motor, portwork, custom cams, custom engines, to full drag suspenssion, solid axle conversions, auto swaps, (of course tuning), to dailing the entire car in at the dragstrip. After all, all that drag race suspenssion is fully adjustable...it's gotta be dialed in correctly for max MPH. Full customer support at the strip. That's how we do things. It's more of a hobby than a buisness. & Draging our cars at the strip is what we love to do in our spare time.

Man, you should get permission from the owners of those project stangs and take some pics and then make a thread on here about it. It would be killer to see them "in progress" and your notes on them. Just an idea!

I'm currently saving a few pennies to get the livewire, if I get it before I move... you can expect a call from me! [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
quote:

Man, you should get permission from the owners of those project stangs and take some pics and then make a thread on here about it. It would be killer to see them "in progress" and your notes on them. Just an idea!

I'm currently saving a few pennies to get the livewire, if I get it before I move... you can expect a call from me! [patriot]

You're right...we should get pics posted up. I've got some & Chuck at the shop has a bunch of high quality pics too. I'm sure we'd get some buisness from it.... We don't really advertise....it's more of a hobby & we simply love the work....

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Thats interesting, How long have you been tuning 03-04 Cobras if you do not mind me asking? Have you ever had any cars come back with any type of tuning issues or engine malfunctions after you tuned them?
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
quote:
quote:

You're right...we should get pics posted up. I've got some & Chuck at the shop has a bunch of high quality pics too. I'm sure we'd get some buisness from it.... We don't really advertise....it's more of a hobby & we simply love the work....
Look at it like this... it would be a little advertising and a little "hey look at this" to let people know what's going on locally. I think it would be a killer idea. [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
quote:
quote:

Thats interesting, How long have you been tuning 03-04 Cobras if you do not mind me asking? Have you ever had any cars come back with any type of tuning issues or engine malfunctions after you tuned them?
A bit over a year now tuning these cars. Hell, it's only been in the last ~2 years that folks have really started modding these things heavily & needing custom tunes.
Although I don't see why that matters. They are by far the easiest mustang to tune. They come from the factory with a safe tune & were programmed with the correct tables for a boosted application. No rescaling of the VE tables, timing tables are all setup for boost, etc. The vast majority of the time customers all have similar bolt-ons. Pulley, exhaust, CAI, etc. Then you get some with more aggressive mods like a KB or Whipple with fuel system mods....again, bone-head easy. Rescale the maff like any other tune & set the timing....& they all run the same timing curve(just more or less based on Boost & Octane). Don't need to rescale or turn off functions because they're all setup for boost! Boost comes on so fast with these things there's no need to scale the timing like a Centrifugal motor (Lots of timing till boost comes on, then removing a ton of timing as boost kicks in). Which can be tricky....remove too much timing too fast & the midrange is a dog, remove timing too slow & run the risk of detonating it. Nope, the Terminators are SUPER easy. Sometimes 2 pulls & they're golden. I have ~40-50 tunes on file from all the Cobra's we've done....lots of them with the same mods. As long as the parts are installed correctly other cobra's final tunes can be used as a baseline for the car on the dyno.....minor tweeking & they dial in nice & easy.

Other cars however, are a REAL challange to dial in. I had a customer with a 93 Lighting. 427ci, EFI setup, Cobra lower intake, AFR heads, etc, custom upper with an 871 Blower on top....& 12 (yes, Twelve) injectors. 4 extra injectors in the top of the 871....all running off an EEC-IV computer. No other tuner would touch the setup. Dialed right in when the correct tables were used....correctly.

Or Yellow94GT's 466RWHP N/A combo. SN95 computers are notorious for difficulty dealing with major modifications..... But I don't believe he could get a better tune on this side of the US. I have a LOT of experience with major modded 5.0's....especially high HP N/A & turbo setups.

50% of the cars that come to the shop are not ready for a tune. There's always some sort of issue.....sometimes they don't even show up on the street.....if a customer never romps on it because they need a tune, it's not uncomon to see problems on the dyno. From incorrect spark plugs, to bad sensors, to incorrect wiring of components, to just plain poor workmanship & cheap parts.... & everything else in between.

Unlike other tuners I will not sit on a dyno for hours on end trying to tune around a mechanical or electrical problem. I do my best to identify the problem & send the customer off with as much information on the problem & how to go about fixing it (sometimes I fix the problems right then & there if I can). I won't waste the customers $$$ trying to 'bandaid' the problem. More than once a customer has left dis-satisfied that the car is still having drivability problems.....& inevitably I get a call a couple days or weeks later about how the car drives flawless once they fixed what was wrong. & because I didn't try to tune around the problem, the tune is near perfect....vs others that tune around the problem (or try), the customer fixing the problem (eventually) & having to come back for another tune because the car drives WORSE than it did before they fixed the 'problem'....all because the tuner decided to tune around a mechanical or electrical issue.
I do less retunes than other shops that I know of. You can take this one of 2 ways....Either the tune is great & the customer doesn't need a retune, or the tune is complete crap & instead of calling me & asking me to take care of it, they go off to another shop. Well.....I don't get calls about how crappy my tunes are. Although every shop out there has had customers bounce from one tuner to another. Typically this is because the car has a problem & no tuner can 'tune around it', so they bounce from one to another till somebody figures out exactly what is wrong with the car. I get a LOT of these from other shops....& when the customer is willing to listen & do the things I suggest (sometimes they just aren't willing to admit that the car has a problem other than 'tune') the car gets dailed in & runs correctly...

I'm not going to lie, sometimes I get buckets on the dyno..... completely hacked up cars that 'just need a tune'. LOL These are typically 5.0's....older modded cars that have had WAY too many people wrenching on them. You know, pop the hood & there's a beatup TFS intake with greasy hand prints all over....customer doesn't know what cubes the motor is cause they bought it used....upper intake manifold is grounding out injectors.. You know, buckets. Those can be dangerous to even strap on to the dyno & make a pull. Assuming the combo was put together correctly using quality parts & not slapped together by the lowest bidder can bite you in the ass.
I just read a post on TM's about a turbo blowing up on the dyno & pieces of shrapnal from the turbo (spinning at over 150,000RPM)hitting other customers in the shop. Talk about liability...

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Look at it like this... it would be a little advertising and a little "hey look at this" to let people know what's going on locally. I think it would be a killer idea. [patriot]
Here are a few pics of some projects:
Keep in mind I really only deal with high-end components.

324ci Stroker with custom Diamond pistons, Oliver billet rods in a World products (SHM) block:
 -
 -
Don't mind the End-links...I didn't have a block spreader handy....they got the job done. LOL
 -

[ March 01, 2007, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Some 04 Cobra heads I've been working on for one of the 9 second projects:
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

I've been building these motors professionally for over 3 years. I'm not like most tuners out there. I know these motors like no other. I know exactly what's going on inside these things, how to get power out of them, what they can handles, & why they have problems. I don't know of any other tuner around here that tunes what they build.

[ March 01, 2007, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Racers Edge Tuning(RET)...ask for Greg. [worship] [patriot]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

A bit over a year now tuning these cars. Hell, it's only been in the last ~2 years that folks have really started modding these things heavily & needing custom tunes.
Although I don't see why that matters. They are by far the easiest mustang to tune. They come from the factory with a safe tune & were programmed with the correct tables for a boosted application. No rescaling of the VE tables, timing tables are all setup for boost, etc. The vast majority of the time customers all have similar bolt-ons. Pulley, exhaust, CAI, etc. Then you get some with more aggressive mods like a KB or Whipple with fuel system mods....again, bone-head easy. Rescale the maff like any other tune & set the timing....& they all run the same timing curve(just more or less based on Boost & Octane). Don't need to rescale or turn off functions because they're all setup for boost! Boost comes on so fast with these things there's no need to scale the timing like a Centrifugal motor (Lots of timing till boost comes on, then removing a ton of timing as boost kicks in). Which can be tricky....remove too much timing too fast & the midrange is a dog, remove timing too slow & run the risk of detonating it. Nope, the Terminators are SUPER easy. Sometimes 2 pulls & they're golden. I have ~40-50 tunes on file from all the Cobra's we've done....lots of them with the same mods. As long as the parts are installed correctly other cobra's final tunes can be used as a baseline for the car on the dyno.....minor tweeking & they dial in nice & easy.

Other cars however, are a REAL challange to dial in. I had a customer with a 93 Lighting. 427ci, EFI setup, Cobra lower intake, AFR heads, etc, custom upper with an 871 Blower on top....& 12 (yes, Twelve) injectors. 4 extra injectors in the top of the 871....all running off an EEC-IV computer. No other tuner would touch the setup. Dialed right in when the correct tables were used....correctly.

Or Yellow94GT's 466RWHP N/A combo. SN95 computers are notorious for difficulty dealing with major modifications..... But I don't believe he could get a better tune on this side of the US. I have a LOT of experience with major modded 5.0's....especially high HP N/A & turbo setups.

50% of the cars that come to the shop are not ready for a tune. There's always some sort of issue.....sometimes they don't even show up on the street.....if a customer never romps on it because they need a tune, it's not uncomon to see problems on the dyno. From incorrect spark plugs, to bad sensors, to incorrect wiring of components, to just plain poor workmanship & cheap parts.... & everything else in between.

Unlike other tuners I will not sit on a dyno for hours on end trying to tune around a mechanical or electrical problem. I do my best to identify the problem & send the customer off with as much information on the problem & how to go about fixing it (sometimes I fix the problems right then & there if I can). I won't waste the customers $$$ trying to 'bandaid' the problem. More than once a customer has left dis-satisfied that the car is still having drivability problems.....& inevitably I get a call a couple days or weeks later about how the car drives flawless once they fixed what was wrong. & because I didn't try to tune around the problem, the tune is near perfect....vs others that tune around the problem (or try), the customer fixing the problem (eventually) & having to come back for another tune because the car drives WORSE than it did before they fixed the 'problem'....all because the tuner decided to tune around a mechanical or electrical issue.
I do less retunes than other shops that I know of. You can take this one of 2 ways....Either the tune is great & the customer doesn't need a retune, or the tune is complete crap & instead of calling me & asking me to take care of it, they go off to another shop. Well.....I don't get calls about how crappy my tunes are. Although every shop out there has had customers bounce from one tuner to another. Typically this is because the car has a problem & no tuner can 'tune around it', so they bounce from one to another till somebody figures out exactly what is wrong with the car. I get a LOT of these from other shops....& when the customer is willing to listen & do the things I suggest (sometimes they just aren't willing to admit that the car has a problem other than 'tune') the car gets dailed in & runs correctly...

I'm not going to lie, sometimes I get buckets on the dyno..... completely hacked up cars that 'just need a tune'. LOL These are typically 5.0's....older modded cars that have had WAY too many people wrenching on them. You know, pop the hood & there's a beatup TFS intake with greasy hand prints all over....customer doesn't know what cubes the motor is cause they bought it used....upper intake manifold is grounding out injectors.. You know, buckets. Those can be dangerous to even strap on to the dyno & make a pull. Assuming the combo was put together correctly using quality parts & not slapped together by the lowest bidder can bite you in the ass.
I just read a post on TM's about a turbo blowing up on the dyno & pieces of shrapnal from the turbo (spinning at over 150,000RPM)hitting other customers in the shop. Talk about liability...

Thats some good info,I wish you luck in your business. I definately feel you on the part where you said their are alot of people out their who are hacks and don't know nearly as much as they say and let their ego get in the way from admitting they fucked up. Their are some people out their who claim they have a whole shitload of knowledge but for some reason they seem to hide the fact that they have fucked alot of people over and seem to only brag about their success stories and how great they are. They even go as far to say they can design a product better than a big company who has been doing it for years I.E. Edelbrock, BBK, Steigmeier. The funny part is that eventually the truth will come out and people will realize just how full of shit that person is. Once again good luck in your business. Maybe if I am in the neighborhood I can check your shop out. I am sure we would have a lot to discuss when I see you [Wink] [patriot]
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

quote:
Originally posted by RixSikCobra:
Racers Edge Tuning(RET)...ask for Greg. [worship] [patriot]

Did you go yet Rick? You said you were going in the begining of March. Greg is actually my second choice behind Amazon. If so what were the results?
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bro time doesn't matter.... If you want a good example, look at my car. It is actually the first 4.6L DOHC car that 93 pony built? and by built I mean EVERYTHING, complete MOTOR, FUEL SYSTEM ECT. My car dyno'd at 540 rwhp (very safe dyno). I have had no problem with it.

Ps. I need a 03/04 tranny if anyone has one????

[ March 01, 2007, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: NavidR ]

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I must admit I've heard nothing but good things about 93 Pony and the shop he works out of.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Of course a Terminator is easy, at the most...they are what, 4 years old? Wiring harnesses aren't brittle, vaccum leaks aren't abundant, and normally a owner can't do shit to the timing. They've typically gone through maybe two-three owners and had boltons. Sure, there are the "one-offs" with KB's, Whipples, etc...but for the majority, they have basic boltons.
On the other end of the spectrum, you've got the Fox...that at best is 14 years old (93 model). They've had more people through them than a Hooker and have had NUMEROUS boltons in the name of performance; all the while probably doing nothing for the poor car. Timing's been set by "ear" (gawd I wish I had a $1 for every time I've heard that), it's got a massive exhaust leak because of the warped header flange on the crap-tacular 1990s BBK header, and check engine light is on for decoration.

For a owner of either to think a car can be tuned outside the realm of possibility is ignorance. Likewise, it's insanity for a tuner to attempt a tune on a vehicle that exhibits similar traits.

But hey, business is business, right?

I've dealt with more than one tuner in the Bay as well as Sac with cars I've built. I've had great results overall, with minor hiccups showing their hand typically after a car has had the bejezzus beat outta it without a tune. Hell, Jeff tuned my car two years ago...and it STILL doesn't need a retune.

I know it's been discussed here on the board before, and I think it needs to be brought to the forefront again. There needs to be a feedback area established for all facets of work here; Commerical, Sales, Tuning, and For Sale section. If individuals or businesses do not want to be rated on or have ratings established for them, they shouldn't be permitted to post here on CA Fords. For once on the board, we can have a true pulse as to what's going on and how it truly is for consumers and businesses alike.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

quote:
Originally posted by NavidR:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bro time doesn't matter.... If you want a good example, look at my car. It is actually the first 4.6L DOHC car that 93 pony built? and by built I mean EVERYTHING, complete MOTOR, FUEL SYSTEM ECT. My car dyno'd at 540 rwhp (very safe dyno). I have had no problem with it.

It was just a ?, I was curious of his experience doing it. Would you want someone who has 3 days experience tuning your car? Anyway I was satisfied with the answer i got
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by NavidR:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep, the very first 4V I ever built....still running strong I see. [Smile]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Of course a Terminator is easy, at the most...they are what, 4 years old? Wiring harnesses aren't brittle, vaccum leaks aren't abundant, and normally a owner can't do shit to the timing. They've typically gone through maybe two-three owners and had boltons. Sure, there are the "one-offs" with KB's, Whipples, etc...but for the majority, they have basic boltons.
On the other end of the spectrum, you've got the Fox...that at best is 14 years old (93 model). They've had more people through them than a Hooker and have had NUMEROUS boltons in the name of performance; all the while probably doing nothing for the poor car. Timing's been set by "ear" (gawd I wish I had a $1 for every time I've heard that), it's got a massive exhaust leak because of the warped header flange on the crap-tacular 1990s BBK header, and check engine light is on for decoration.

For a owner of either to think a car can be tuned outside the realm of possibility is ignorance. Likewise, it's insanity for a tuner to attempt a tune on a vehicle that exhibits similar traits.

LOL
Had a car on the dyno not too long ago. 5.0 of course, Basic setup, stock shortblock, AFR heads, Edelbrock intake, S-trim with 'unknown' boost (no guage), etc, etc. Went to check/set timing & found NO timing pointer! [Eek!] Timed by ear since they never installed the pointer...& of course it was suppose to get a 'pump gas' tune. LOL I did the best I could (set timing based on 10 degrees base timing), but that one had my blood pressure pretty high while on the dyno.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It happens all the time Shaun, we've both seen plenty of it. [Wink] That's when you hope you remember the location of the upper right numb on the timing cover where 0* is and go from there!

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
It happens all the time Shaun, we've both seen plenty of it. [Wink] That's when you hope you remember the location of the upper right numb on the timing cover where 0* is and go from there!

It's good to be King isn't it. [Wink]
(knowing WAY too much about these motors).

Half the time I don't trust the timing marks on the balancer anyway. Seen 4-6 degree swings in stock balancers while degreeing a camshaft. Quality aftermarket balancers that have been degreed in I trust....& I don't know of many who actually do this when building a motor.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

quote:
quote:

It's good to be King isn't it. [Wink]
Ehhh, I'm small-time. My stuff runs good that I build, gears make people smile, and I can build a decent stroker that makes good power. It's a hobby, I'm happy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com