Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Suggestions for a daily driver.... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Suggestions for a daily driver....
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
m looking into getting a truck for my next daily driver my chrysler is almost on its last leg. i was looking into a Diesel. i kinda want a Ford powerstroke diesel truck.

Me and my mom went and tested a 1998 Dodge ram cummins diesel and a 2000 Ford F250 powerstroke diesel I liked them both my mom likes the F250 better. Not as loud and smoother than the dodge and it has to be automatic because she will have to be able to drive it around she might be helping me with the payment on the truck. so she has some say in what I get.

My friend has a 02 Ford powerstroke and he installed a new downpipe and catback and got one of those hand held tuners and now that things hauls ass now.

If i get a truck by the end of the year it will prob be a diesel and i can spend the extra money into the notch and make it hopefully fast and reliable or wait till next june(my bday [Whoo Whooooo!] ) and get a Lightning.

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dammit you're back already? f*ckin 22 posts already and the day just begun.. [Eek!]

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
General rule that you will thank me for years from now, if you can't afford to pay cash you shouldn't buy it. So unless you got the cash look for a truck you can pay for in your cash price range.

Food for thought: I kicked around the idea of buying a little hatchback (Civic SI, Beetle, Audi TT, Focus SVT, etc.) for my girl, cash is limited right now so if I spend 20k on a car, put $5,000 down and finance 15k plus tax and stuff I am looking at a 375-400 dollar payment, plus full coverage insurance, another $100-150 then you have to gas it up at $70 a week, thats = to 755 on the low side. I can think of a lot better thing to do with $800 a month than drive around in car.

Just in case you didn't know a car is the worst investment you can make.

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And with gas prices the way they are why in the hell are you considering a truck for a daily driver?

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91Trunkster:
And with gas prices the way they are why in the hell are you considering a truck for a daily driver?

That's exactly what i was thinkin lol.

But maybe his daily work requires a truck to haul stuff around [Confused]

I'd love an f250 for my own personal use but i have no driveway large enough and gas would kill me. That's why i have a an 03 Tacoma double cab and a 93 Celica for daily gas savings.

I NEED A MUSTANG AGAIN [Big Grin]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Stevo
¯
Member # 972

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo  Ford pictures for Stevo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drive a 05 F-150 and I have to pay $70+ to fill up every 1-2 days. Oh well, everything is a write off for me. Gotta love being a contractor!
Posts: 1072 | From: Conroe, TX | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want a truck to use as a daily driver I would suggest getting a Ford Ranger w/ a V6 and 5-speed. You can pick them up pretty cheap, they get ok gas milage (20+), and will still have a little power.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Food for thought: I kicked around the idea of buying a little hatchback (Civic SI, Beetle, Audi TT, Focus SVT, etc.) for my girl, cash is limited right now so if I spend 20k on a car, put $5,000 down and finance 15k plus tax and stuff I am looking at a 375-400 dollar payment, plus full coverage insurance, another $100-150 then you have to gas it up at $70 a week, thats = to 755 on the low side. I can think of a lot better thing to do with $800 a month than drive around in car.

I got my 95 integra with 0 down, payin $100 more a month for insurance than the damn car payment ($150 for the car, $250 for full coverage). final price after everything is ~10k, the window price was down to 6200 iirc

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get that Ford Hybrid truck. I want one of those [Smile]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was also thinking maybe a Harley Davidson edition F150.
i want a truck becuse we always end up looking for someone to let us borrow a truck when we are hauling stuff around. my grandma loves doing landscaping on the house and slowing fixing pieces of the hosue and my mom is getting mad when we put like 15 bags of cement and dirt in the 500.
and my mom agrees thatwe need a truck becuase were fuckin up the other cars when we go to home depot.

[ May 09, 2006, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: two-gun kid ]

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Go ahead and pay $750 a month to haul concrete back and forth from Home Depot to your house. Or buy a beater truck that will do the same thing.

I laid the math out there for you and really if you want a Harley Davidson at your age, you will pay over $1000 a month minimum thats is considering you have enough for a down payment.

LIKE I SAID EARLIER YOU'LL THANK ME LATER!

And why a Harley to haul bags of concrete??? [Confused] That's stupid.

[ May 09, 2006, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: 91Trunkster ]

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Kinda like spending the money to put and tune a turbo on a STOCK motor [Eek!]

j/p [Wink]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Go ahead and pay $750 a month to haul concrete back and forth from Home Depot to your house. Or buy a beater truck that will do the same thing.

I laid the math out there for you and really if you want a Harley Davidson at your age, you will pay over $1000 a month minimum thats is considering you have enough for a down payment.

LIKE I SAID EARLIER YOU'LL THANK ME LATER!

[patriot]
91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:

Kinda like spending the money to put and tune a turbo on a STOCK motor [Eek!]

j/p [Wink]

Go ahead and hate me all you want, I know you wish you had one. And do your research on stock blocks and what kind of power they can handle.

And if I am not mistaken there are quite a few 11 sec and better Stangs running around here on stock blocks, so get off of my dick!

[ May 09, 2006, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: 91Trunkster ]

--------------------
I act like I'm@Age15
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31

(510)375-1589

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

its not only going to haul stuff around , we have the 500 so that takes care of needs a car, plus its huge.
and i want a truck to be able to tow around my notch, so i dont have to wait 2 hours for a tow truck.

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
its not only going to haul stuff around , we have the 500 so that takes care of needs a car, plus its huge.
and i want a truck to be able to tow around my notch, so i dont have to wait 2 hours for a tow truck.

Whatever makes it happen for you! But when you decide about the future and want to buy a house, wasting money on a truck to tow your car and move concrete is flat out ridiculous, something to think about, the smart ones who succeed in life are able to differ between "wants and needs" you are discussing a want and sorry but working at FedEx is not go out and buy a Harley F-150 money, I am not putting you down but I was in your shoes at your age and wish someone told me to not waste money on car payments, I'd own 4 houses now instead of only 2, you have to look at the big picture, I can pull equity on either of my homes and go pay cash for whatever.

LIKE I SAID EARLIER, FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

--------------------
I act like I'm@Age15
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31

(510)375-1589

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

im not going to buy a house any time soon.your only young once.
91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

quote:

Best of luck to you, kiss your paychecks goodbye though, but at least you'll be in a nice truck and everyone will think your a big baller, but you probably won't be able to afford the gas after you make the payment and insurance and you definatly won't have any money left over to fix up your Mustang. All I am giving you is a dose of reality, like it or not it's the truth.

--------------------
I act like I'm@Age15
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31

(510)375-1589

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Best of luck to you, kiss your paychecks goodbye though, but at least you'll be in a nice truck and everyone will think your a big baller, but you probably won't be able to afford the gas after you make the payment and insurance and you definatly won't have any money left over to fix up your Mustang. All I am giving you is a dose of reality, like it or not it's the truth.
i was thinking the same thing.
[patriot]

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
quote:

or maybe ill get a turbo kit and put it on my coupe and not buy a truck? [Razz]
91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

A turbo kit = 5 months of truck payments, or get the truck and that'll be for 60 months and if you make it to the end your truck won't be worth shit.

Try for a month to see how hard it will be to be without $1000 of the money you took home from work, it won't be easy.

You need to live within your means, at 18 years old and bringing home about $1600 a month if you work full time is not buy a $25,000 truck kind of money.

Your arguments so far are:

1. Haul Concrete
2. It's big
3. Only young once
4. Tow my Mustang

Those are simply pathetic excuses you are telling yourself, you "want" the truck but you don't "need" it.

--------------------
I act like I'm@Age15
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31

(510)375-1589

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
A turbo kit = 5 months of truck payments, or get the truck and that'll be for 60 months and if you make it to the end your truck won't be worth shit.

Try for a month to see how hard it will be to be without $1000 of the money you took home from work, it won't be easy.

You need to live within your means, at 18 years old and bringing home about $1600 a month if you work full time is not buy a $25,000 truck kind of money.

1. Haul Concrete
2. It's big
3. Only young once
4. Tow my Mustang

Those are simply pathetic excuses you are telling yourself, you "want" the truck but you don't "need" it.

just for the record i never said i was going to be buying a brand new truck.
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

i could always just dump all the money into the notch.
93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
General rule that you will thank me for years from now, if you can't afford to pay cash you shouldn't buy it. So unless you got the cash look for a truck you can pay for in your cash price range.

Just in case you didn't know a car is the worst investment you can make.

Are you the same guy who just put a hellion turbo kit on your car, that base kit is 6g's---just wondering if you were the same guy- if not i apologize, because modding a mustang is also a bad investment, not that i dont do it though

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

1. Haul Concrete
2. It's big
3. Only young once
4. Tow my Mustang

tat some funny ( and true ) shit

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com