Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » wheel hop

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: wheel hop
93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 5.0  Ford pictures for 93 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am working on a 93 Ford Mustang 5.0 and I get real bad wheel hop when launching I have urP double adjustable uppers and lowers and still got will hop stock springs brand new rear shocks no quads and I can't figure out why I got any ideas
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what kind of shocks do you have?

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bet you have stock axle housing bushings? and urethane on all of the other bushings? need to change them out

--------------------
91' Notch

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Possible rear end going out? I've had two cars with that issue in the past.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A big problem with adjustable uppers is they could be adjusted in a way that has the pinion angle totally out of whack.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 5.0  Ford pictures for 93 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stock bushings the rear ends out of it 86 super coupe with 373 posi 17 by 10 in the rear 275 40 17 tires and I don't member what shocks I have
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my $ is on the bushings...see it all the time. put the stock uppers back in and I bet it goes away

--------------------
91' Notch

93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

I had the stock uppers on and it was worse
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

has to be shot bushings or rear end is messed up..

--------------------
91' Notch

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did you set the pinion angle at? With adjustable rear control arms and the pinion set right you shouldn't have any wheel hop problems.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

I'm taking the car in Sunday to the shop to get it set and I seen it stick a lil more out on the right side then the left I guess I didn't set it right it's my first time with adjustable upper and lower control arms
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm with 5.0lsx the upper axle housing bushing need to be replaced.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also try ghrowing the quads on their...see if it helps out
Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

I put the quads on and it sits so hight and rest on the quand the holes where the quads bolt up to the rearend push it hight where I can fit a beer can between the tire and the bak finder
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

your uppers are not adjusted correctly

--------------------
91' Notch

dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NEW gabriel quad shocks fixed my wheel hop on my fox with non adjustable poly control arms and my buddies 99gt all stock

the wheel hop was so violent before my glove box flew open

the new quads are like 25$ each at autozone or amazon

Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn that's weird I've never experienced wheel hop, even when I had the stock upper N lowers with no quad shocks.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

assuming everything else on the vehicle is in good condition (check your trq boxes), you will only get wheel hop with bad bushings or different bushings (poly and rubber) adding quad shocks is just trying to mask the problem. undo your right upper control arm and set your pinion angle/ center the rear with the left upper. put the right upper on to where to bolt slides in easily and give it half a turn to tighten. (all at ride height) adjust only the right upper to set the preload after testing to make sure it burns out in a straight line and doesn't kick out left or right.

--------------------
91' Notch

93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

Do they make a smaller quad shock then stock cuz the stock ones push the car up 3in or so smh and I'll be taking it in Sunday to see if its all set right
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

not that i know of, and you dont need the quads

--------------------
91' Notch

93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

Well hope Sunday it get fix thanks cafords

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com