Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Need you opinion on front end setup

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need you opinion on front end setup
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking for your guys' opinions on the frontend suspension setup of my 98 cobra. I'm planning to overhaul my frontend suspension setup with MM components but not sure if I should take the leap full tilt.

So far, here are the parts I've gathered this winter waiting to be installed:

1. MM forward offset front lower control arms
2. MM bolt-thru bumpsteer kit
3. MM CC plates
4. MM aluminum steering rack bushings
5. MM solid steering shaft
6. MM urethane swaybar bushings
7. MM short swaybar endlinks
8. MM K-member brace (for stock K-member)

I was just about ready to get these installed until I came across a killer deal on the last piece of the puzzle, an MM K-member...along with MM non-offset front lower control arms, and a Canton oil pan ($500 for all!)

Now my question is...would it be worth it to spend the extra money ($500) on the MM K-member, non-offset control arms, and Canton oil pan, then buy all the required parts for the install, ie: oil filter relocation kit and front swaybar relocation kit? All the parts that I have waiting to be installed are still new and I can return them or exchange them for parts that will work with the MM K-member, but I'll still be spending an extra $500 on the parts + an additional $300+ for the installation (on top of what I'm already going to pay to install the first set of parts).

Is the K-memebr and oil pan really worth the extra $800+ in parts and labor, or should I stick to what I already have in my garage and use the money elsewhere??? Opinions? Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why the non-offset arms with the MM K-member instead of the offset arms?

Are you pulling the motor or leaving it in the car?

Ignoring the money side for a moment, sure it's easier to swap oil pans and K members while the front end is all apart. You do it once and it's done. Going with the MM K-member and better oil pan is an improvement.

Can you do the work yourself to save on the install cost? It would probably take 2-3 of days.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
Why the non-offset arms with the MM K-member instead of the offset arms?

Are you pulling the motor or leaving it in the car?

Ignoring the money side for a moment, sure it's easier to swap oil pans and K members while the front end is all apart. You do it once and it's done. Going with the MM K-member and better oil pan is an improvement.

Can you do the work yourself to save on the install cost? It would probably take 2-3 of days.

Steve...i was thinking of going non-offset with the MM k-member for two reasons: 1) the non-offset arms are coming with the K-member as a package deal and 2) I'll be able to return my offset arms to MM to make some money back for the other required parts.

I dont plan to pull the motor out for the install. I also dont have space for an engine hoist in my garage so I can't really do the K-member install, so I figure I'd just have it installed all at once. Plus, with a wife that works graveyard shift and weekends + 2 little kids running around = no time [Frown]

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sack up and get the SLA setup from Agent47. [Razz]
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
Sack up and get the SLA setup from Agent47. [Razz]

yea, maybe on my Boss 302 LS edition [Wink]

--------------------

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian, buy the k-member, a-arms and pan. the pan is a very good idea. If you do not do the k now you will eventually. Might as well only pay for labor once.

Talk with MM about witch arms to run. sell or return the leftovers.

I know where you are right now. Be carefull not to get so carried away modifying the car. Seat time is more important than anything you can invest in for the car. Save some money for track days, brake pads and tires.

Troy

ps. I have some harness's

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
Ian, buy the k-member, a-arms and pan. the pan is a very good idea. If you do not do the k now you will eventually. Might as well only pay for labor once.

Talk with MM about witch arms to run. sell or return the leftovers.

I know where you are right now. Be carefull not to get so carried away modifying the car. Seat time is more important than anything you can invest in for the car. Save some money for track days, brake pads and tires.

Troy

ps. I have some harness's

Hey Troy, I wasn't planning to go over the top with the mod list but the MM deal of the day really had me going! Then I sold my seats and everything spiraled from there [Big Grin] I wish I had my first list of parts installed prior to finding this deal so I wouldnt have to think twice about the setup...now I keep going back and forth with what parts to install/buy/return. I really do need to cool it though since I have other parts to install still which aren't even on my list above [Frown]

Damn this addiction! [Mad]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com