Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Video Content (now with Pics!): NASA @ Infineon 9/24/2011

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Video Content (now with Pics!): NASA @ Infineon 9/24/2011
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Quick run-down of last week's NASA event at Infineon...PURE AWESOMENESS! I was out there with 9cobra7 and the weather was perfect, car was running great, and the event went very smoothly. I can't complain!

As the day went on, I felt that I was ready get a check ride to try and move up to Group 3. On my 4th session I had one of the instructor's do a ride-along with me. After showing him that I was comfortable in traffic, could set myself up to pass others, and to drive a pretty consistent smooth line, he said that I was ready to move on!

I'm STOKED and can't wait until the next NASA event so I can see how Group 3 is! Having more passing zones should make for a lot more fun! I can't wait!!

Here's a quick video of my day at the track. Feedback and critiquing is ALWAYS appreciated [patriot]

***make sure to watch it in full 1080p HD [Wink]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5CaNHvb-Y

-

-

-

[ September 30, 2011, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

S4OSHUS
¯
Member # 2918

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S4OSHUS  Ford pictures for S4OSHUS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that's some great driving Ian! i'll make sure to sign up for the next one and not lag like i did this last one. i almost did sign up for hpde 3 but was not sure of my driving yet. maybe we'll both do 3 next time around!

--------------------
2001 audi s4 avant stage 3. 460 whp e85
2001 audi S4 stage 3 sold!
91 lx 347 sold!
90 lx notchback sold!
99 cobra sold!

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by S4OSHUS:
that's some great driving Ian! i'll make sure to sign up for the next one and not lag like i did this last one. i almost did sign up for hpde 3 but was not sure of my driving yet. maybe we'll both do 3 next time around!

Thanks Jeo! After reviewing my videos I see much more room for improvement, ie: still need to unwind the wheel more, need to "wait a beat" before turning-in on some of the turns, need to pick up a little more speed, etc. I love Infineon and know the track fairly well so I'm trying to improve my times each time I go out.

You definitely need to come out the next time. Group 3 should be a blast!!!

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Moving up through the ranks - NICE!

I'll check out the video after work ,but congrats! [Smile]

Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wait, til you get to 4. It can get a bit hairy out there, because sometimes there are some idiots that think they can bounce off you going into corners. So imo, do 3 for a bit, get very comfortable before you take that leap. It will pay off drastically later.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also, what brake and tire combo are you guys running? If you ever want anyone to do a ride along and give you tips, I can help too.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
Moving up through the ranks - NICE!

I'll check out the video after work ,but congrats! [Smile]

Thanks Justin! Yea, I'm trying to move up as quickly, but SAFELY, as possible [Big Grin] . I'll be sticking around group 3 for a while though [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Just wait, til you get to 4. It can get a bit hairy out there, because sometimes there are some idiots that think they can bounce off you going into corners. So imo, do 3 for a bit, get very comfortable before you take that leap. It will pay off drastically later.

I've been on a ride along in group 4 and it does seem hairy at times...but I guess that's what makes it fun [dance] But you're right, I plan to stick around group 3 for a while. Since there won't be as much traffic, I'll be able to pick up a little more speed and work on my driving.

quote:
Also, what brake and tire combo are you guys running? If you ever want anyone to do a ride along and give you tips, I can help too.

i'm running a square setup of Bridgestone RE01R's (255-40-17). I forget which exact brakes I'm running, but they're race pads and rotors that I got from SFCoupe (thanks Tim [patriot] ). I believe they are Centric rotors and Carbotech XP12's...but whatever they are, they're GOOD [Whoo Whooooo!]

I remember your car from the "good" caford days (the burnt orange ghost flamed GT [worship] )...do you still have it as your track car? Who do you usually do trackdays with?

[ September 29, 2011, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Yeah I still have her. She hasn't been on the track in a couple years. I had to deal with a divorce and then work and kids and all. I am just finishing my CSVT DTM car, a true street/track car. This way I can still enjoy both worlds. I'm planning some big changes to the stang once finished with the Contour. I run with NASA, TrackMasters, SCCA, and a few other groups. The stang being a full track car, just got way to uncomfortable o. The streets. Fully gutted, caged, Safecraft aluminum road race seat, with full track suspension, any time you hit road road dot it catches air then feels like a brick hits my back. It's smooth as glass on the track though. I would suggest a true track tire when you go in 3 a few times. It helps you become consistent. The one thing I did see in the video is, the true fast line of the track still needs to be learned. In turn 1, you need to wait to turn up the hill to alot later. Go all the way to the outside burm, then start your turn. When you do that, you will see a straight line up to turn 2, instead of holding the left turn as long as you are. You will shave easily 2-3 seconds a lap in that turn only. Plus you will go into turn 2, at almost 20mph faster by waiting. It seems natural to hit that first inside burm but by waiting you hit the apex so much later and it helps. The carosel wait to turn in later too. The clipping point is literally 5ft before the inside burm ends. This sets you straighter into the short shoot before turn 7.

[ September 29, 2011, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: 1Sicgt ]

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Yeah I still have her. She hasn't been on the track in a couple years. I had to deal with a divorce and then work and kids and all. I am just finishing my CSVT DTM car, a true street/track car. This way I can still enjoy both worlds. I'm planning some big changes to the stang once finished with the Contour. I run with NASA, TrackMasters, SCCA, and a few other groups. The stang being a full track car, just got way to uncomfortable o. The streets. Fully gutted, caged, Safecraft aluminum road race seat, with full track suspension, any time you hit road road dot it catches air then feels like a brick hits my back. It's smooth as glass on the track though. I would suggest a true track tire when you go in 3 a few times. It helps you become consistent. The one thing I did see in the video is, the true fast line of the track still needs to be learned. In turn 1, you need to wait to turn up the hill to alot later. Go all the way to the outside burm, then start your turn. When you do that, you will see a straight line up to turn 2, instead of holding the left turn as long as you are. You will shave easily 2-3 seconds a lap in that turn only. Plus you will go into turn 2, at almost 20mph faster by waiting. It seems natural to hit that first inside burm but by waiting you hit the apex so much later and it helps. The carosel wait to turn in later too. The clipping point is literally 5ft before the inside burm ends. This sets you straighter into the short shoot before turn 7.

Thanks for the pointers! I really do need to get a more advanced driver to ride with me so I can learn the "fastest" line. 9cobra7 (Greg) was going to ride with me on my last session but I had my check-ride so the instructor took his place. Next time I go out I'll definitely try and get someone to show me whats up [Big Grin]

What are your future plans for the orange mustang, if you dont mind me asking? Also, what is your current suspension setup?

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool pics and video. The advise above about staying in group 3 for awhile is a good because group 4 really can get hairy quick!

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
Cool pics and video. The advise above about staying in group 3 for awhile is a good because group 4 really can get hairy quick!

Thanks Greg! I definitely plan to stick around group 3 for a while...most likely the entire next season if need be. Being that this season is pretty much over for me (since I probably can't make it to the NASA event in November [Frown] ), I'll be doing a lot of studying to try and pick up some techniques for next season. Hell, I may even come out with a revamped car or better yet, maybe even a new one [Big Grin]

--------------------

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those guys are crazy in group 4. I would want a banged up track only car for that group. 2nd lap out in my first ride along in HPDE4 a guy in a Porche took out a nice Vette, before he spun around and hit the wall. I need to get a Vette for the track so I wouldn't be so upset if I wrecked it!

Let us know how group 3 goes. How many sessions did you do in group 1 and group 2?

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
Those guys are crazy in group 4. I would want a banged up track only car for that group. 2nd lap out in my first ride along in HPDE4 a guy in a Porche took out a nice Vette, before he spun around and hit the wall. I need to get a Vette for the track so I wouldn't be so upset if I wrecked it!

Let us know how group 3 goes. How many sessions did you do in group 1 and group 2?

From my understanding, Group 4 runs with Time Trials (I could be wrong though), so I'm sure the TT guys are always driving at 110% and trying to maneuver around the Group 4 guys as quickly as possible, causing hairy situations. I, personally am not ready for that kind of aggressiveness (yet!), but I hope to get more and more comfortable as I progress in Group 3.

I did 3 tyrackdays in Group 1 and 2 trackdays in Group 2 before getting signed off to Group 3. Four fo these trackdays being at Infineon and one of them, which was my first outting, was at T-hill. I really do need to go back to T-hill and learn the track!

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's why it's nice to have a disposable car, like me! [Wink]
If I had a nice car, like your Cobra Ian, I'd be too scared to mix it up, for fear of what those other guys might do.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
That's why it's nice to have a disposable car, like me! [Wink]
If I had a nice car, like your Cobra Ian, I'd be too scared to mix it up, for fear of what those other guys might do.

You're car is definitely clean and I'd hate to "dispose" of it in a bad way! I'd be just as scared to ruin that!

My car, although still tagegd/insured, is basically just my track toy as well. I'd love to stop paying for registration and insurance on it since I dont drive it on the streets other than to/from trackdays, but I dont have a trailer or tow vehicle, so it's my only option as of now [Frown] . IF i do end up selling it, I'd need to get enough money out of it to buy a track car, cheap tow SUV/truck/van, and possibly trailer [Eek!] [Big Grin] .

In all honesty though, I'd hate to damage it on the track, ie: scrapes, bumps, bruises...but if it happenes, it happens. I'd just have to suck it up and realize that its all part of the game i guess [patriot]

--------------------

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let's not even talk about that! I would be devistated, which is one reason that I hesitate going to the track.

Anyway, the first ride along I did in the HPDE4 group did have TT guys in it and a 72 car field! It was crazy.

I have only done the Hyperdrive so far (on drag radials), but I hope to get out there for a couple track days next season. I would like to hit up Thunderhill as well.

I am in the process of putting a TKO together with upgraded parts and some mods from Liberty's Gears. After that goes in with a new clutch, I want to work on the suspension a little. The original shocks are worn out and the car sits a little too low and bottoms easily. It will be a while though because my car fund is empty. I finally got street tires. I bought some 17" Pony's for the back and put 275 Nitto 555's on them. I need to do some clearancing though. Our other account is also dropping with home improvement, Lasik, and vacation funding.

My plan is to put 275lb coilovers on the front, replace front control arm bushings with poly or swap to MM control arms, replace rear arms with the MM Extreme Duty adjustables, H&R Super Race rear springs, Koni SA struts and shocks, install my MM CC plates, get it aligned. Hopefully it will do everything better with this setup. Then I will learn how to drive it around a track!

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
You're car is definitely clean and I'd hate to "dispose" of it in a bad way! I'd be just as scared to ruin that!

My car, although still tagged/insured, is basically just my track toy as well. I'd love to stop paying for registration and insurance on it since I dont drive it on the streets other than to/from trackdays, but I dont have a trailer or tow vehicle, so it's my only option as of now [Frown] . IF i do end up selling it, I'd need to get enough money out of it to buy a track car, cheap tow SUV/truck/van, and possibly trailer [Eek!]

I will likely take the car off-highway sometime next year (smog and tags are due this month, eek!) It will keep me out of trouble and since I only have the pricey Hoosiers to roll around on, I'll save money and wear. I've also got a quote for a full-boogey cage and would like to get it installed this time next year. To be frank, I'm not so worried about damaging this car. I got into this build with the intent of growing my skills in this car before buying a newer, nicer purpose built car. If I wreck it, so be it. It will give me a reason to step up to a Boss Laguna or a 2000 R. [Wink]

[ October 06, 2011, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
Let's not even talk about that! I would be devistated, which is one reason that I hesitate going to the track.

Anyway, the first ride along I did in the HPDE4 group did have TT guys in it and a 72 car field! It was crazy.

I have only done the Hyperdrive so far (on drag radials), but I hope to get out there for a couple track days next season. I would like to hit up Thunderhill as well.

I am in the process of putting a TKO together with upgraded parts and some mods from Liberty's Gears. After that goes in with a new clutch, I want to work on the suspension a little. The original shocks are worn out and the car sits a little too low and bottoms easily. It will be a while though because my car fund is empty. I finally got street tires. I bought some 17" Pony's for the back and put 275 Nitto 555's on them. I need to do some clearancing though. Our other account is also dropping with home improvement, Lasik, and vacation funding.

My plan is to put 275lb coilovers on the front, replace front control arm bushings with poly or swap to MM control arms, replace rear arms with the MM Extreme Duty adjustables, H&R Super Race rear springs, Koni SA struts and shocks, install my MM CC plates, get it aligned. Hopefully it will do everything better with this setup. Then I will learn how to drive it around a track!

You should definitely get back out there for a full trackday. Swap those DR's for street rubber and just do the basics (ie: shocks/struts, springs, and anything else that may be worn) and go have some fun! Driving in a few HPDE 1 and 2 events I haven't really experienced any "close calls" so I dont think you really have to worry about damaging your ride. [patriot]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:

My car, although still tagged/insured, is basically just my track toy as well. I'd love to stop paying for registration and insurance on it since I dont drive it on the streets other than to/from trackdays, but I dont have a trailer or tow vehicle, so it's my only option as of now [Frown] . IF i do end up selling it, I'd need to get enough money out of it to buy a track car, cheap tow SUV/truck/van, and possibly trailer [Eek!]

I will likely take the car off-highway sometime next year (smog and tags are due this month, eek!) It will keep me out of trouble and since I only have the pricey Hoosiers to roll around on, I'll save money and wear. I've also got a quote for a full-boogey cage and would like to get it installed this time next year. To be frank, I'm not so worried about damaging this car. I got into this build with the intent of growing my skills in this car before buying a newer, nicer purpose built car. If I wreck it, so be it. It will give me a reason to step up to a Boss Laguna or a 2000 R. [Wink]
Justin, if you ever decide to sell it let me know! That'd be a bad ass track car to own.

[ October 06, 2011, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This looks like a crapload of fun. How does one sign up and get started in one of these events?

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to http://www.nasanorcal.com/
your car will need to pass tech. in hpde 1 you will be assigned an instructor to teach you how to drive the line.
the next evewnt is oct29-30 but no hpde group1-3
only group 4 and race groups
i think nov 12-13 will have school groups. it the legends national event weekend.

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's involved in passing tech? I'm assuming I have to fix stuff like my cracked windshield, etc..

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nothing loose in the car. battery bolted down. wheel bearing and suspension tight. belts and seats in good condition. no fluid leaks. firm brake pedal. just basic stuff. remember you will be driving your car hard so you want it in good condition. walls are unforgiving
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.nasaproracing.com/forms/form_hpde_tech.pdf

http://www.ncracing.org/docs/tech.pdf

http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/html/techform.html

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com