Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Thunderhill 9-23 HPDE driving school vid

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Thunderhill 9-23 HPDE driving school vid
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's my attempt at NCRC's driving school @ Thunderhill. Fifth session, 4:00PM, 100* with high humidity. I was physically drained all day and because of it, spun in the 4th session.
Enjoy: (20 mins)
http://www.youtube.com/user/straightliner1#p/a/u/0/GFEw5HzapwE

(first time driving on a track, go easy on me) [Wink]

[ September 25, 2011, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where did you spin, Curious? Despite the heat, I bet you had a blast. My first time on track was in the exact same conditions at Buttonwillow. I was so High on adrenaline though that it didn't phase me that much but now it really gets to me.
Nice quality video and it looks like your off to a great start from what I see. Just concentrate on the instructors advise and learn all the good habits instead of the bad ones. We all pick up bad habits at some point but like I said looks good for your first time no doubt. I wish you had your spin on video because that's all part of the learning experience too [Wink]
So, are you an addict now?

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great video Justin! From what i can tell you have a good line going. I wish I was as clean as you were on my first time out [Big Grin] How was it overall??? Do you have the itch to get back out ASAP?!?! How'd you spin and which turn did it happen? Sucks that it happened but at least Thill has plenty of run-off...I'm sure you learned quickly not to do whatever you did to cause the spin.

Anyway, keep it up man and I hope to see you out there soon [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was braking really hard for 9, hooked it to the left. Since I was down 1/2 of gas (light tail end) it snapped counterclockwise and I rolled backwards into the dirt with tower 9(?) on my left. Luckily I didn't hurt anything - except my pride.
[Smile]

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ian,

Thanks for the kind words...
Of course I'm itching to go back out. I'm going to see if I can score Friday, Oct 14 off so I can make the Shelby Fall Classic that weekend back up at T-Hill. You interested in going?

[ September 25, 2011, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got ya! But did you have fun regardless of the mishap? What's your take on open tracking and Thill? Any plans to get more involved with the sport?

I plan to go up to Thill for the Shelby club event but won make it until Sunday.

I myself am hooked (as many may already know)! I just got signed off to group 3 yesterday and am stoked that I was able to reach this level in my first season of racing/tracking. 9cobra7 can attest that I'm a full blown addict now and I would love to get competitive in the future. [patriot]

[ September 25, 2011, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

The "off" was only a minor mishap. To answer your question, yes I had a blast! The heat sucked ass - 100* in the shade = 110~ in the car. UGH...

I'll be at the Shelby event for both days - hopefully. I've had my most ride-alongs at T-hill, and I like its forgiving nature. I think after next month's Shelby event I'll be ready to try my hand at a track with walls (Infineon).

[Wink]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Damn, 100+ degrees! That's hot! At least you didnt run into any cooling issues.

You'll love Infineon! I was scared of the dreaded walls before going out there the first time, but once I learned how to drive it "safely" I never thought twice about NOT going there. It's a very challenging track that is a shit ton of fun! My favorite track hands down [worship]

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Justin....I just saw your pics on Gotbluemilk.com and the car is looking awesome man! The flares look more subtle with the color of your car, which in my opnion, is a good thing...very nice! Are you running slicks??

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Thanks Ian, I bought the car with the intention of adding flares and a wider New Edge 8.8 and MM K member and arms. The flares are "just right" in my opinion, even if the paintjob (did it myself) is a good 15-footer. [Wink]
BTW, running Hoosier R6 tires. They grip like MAD! Try 'em sometime!

[ September 26, 2011, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:

Those will help you spin out.

Yes they grip like mad until they let go and when they do, they will slip a lot more than street tires. Generally not a good tire to learn with.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:

Those will help you spin out.

Yes they grip like mad until they let go and when they do, they will slip a lot more than street tires. Generally not a good tire to learn with.

I've heard the same. I also heard that they dont give much feedback so you won't hear the tires screaming when they're about to give way [Eek!] I'll stick to my Bridgestone RE11/RE01R's for now until I get into Group 4 [patriot]

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Yes and no...

Where street tires squeal, slicks have more of a howl. It's a definite learning curve and since I had to let my street tires go with my GT I sold a ways back I had no choice. : /

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The key to driving fast is learning to how to keep the tires at the peak slip angle through the turns. Not enough slip and you're just going too slow. Too much speed and your scrubbing speed by sliding too much.

-

The problem of running R compounds or worse, slicks, is that optimum speed range is very narrow. It takes some experience to feel where on the grip curve you're at.

-

[ September 27, 2011, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Steve, I've been looking for graphs like these. Thanks!

Where did you find them?

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

http://td873.enteronline.net/instruction/td_grip_graph.jpg

http://td873.enteronline.net/instruction/slip_v_force_tires.jpg

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com