Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » NorCal Shelby Club?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: NorCal Shelby Club?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone part of this club or ever been a part of it? I just signed up today ($34) because I want to run in their August "Mini Nationals" event at Infineon in August. How is this club? I'm assuming its all Mustangs so I'm sure there'll be lots to look at, but how are the different run groups? Any input...thanks [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Anyone part of this club or ever been a part of it? I just signed up today ($34) because I want to run in their August "Mini Nationals" event at Infineon in August. How is this club? I'm assuming its all Mustangs so I'm sure there'll be lots to look at, but how are the different run groups? Any input...thanks [patriot]

I've been a member for a long time, since the early 90s but I haven't done any events with them in a while. Good crowd of people and cars.

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am. Have been for a couple years. They are ok. The Mini Nats should be fun, although I will be out of town. Last year there was 250 real shelbys from all years, vintage race (with a good accident), and lots of other things going on. The driver meeting are fairly lame after the first 8 minutes. everyone is very respectful on the track and all are there to have fun and run hard.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BIzKitBrAIn:
quote:

I've been a member for a long time, since the early 90s but I haven't done any events with them in a while. Good crowd of people and cars.
any perks to being a member other than getting a subscription to Driven (since you dont race with them anymore)? I'm glad I just had to pay $34 but hopefully I can make use of my membership and run the mini nats.

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

any perks to being a member other than getting a subscription to Driven (since you dont race with them anymore)? I'm glad I just had to pay $34 but hopefully I can make use of my membership and run the mini nats.
Not really, the Shelby Club events tend to be a bit on the pricey side. I'm trying to get into CFRA which is invite only Open Track org.

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not really, the Shelby Club events tend to be a bit on the pricey side. I'm trying to get into CFRA which is invite only Open Track org.
Yea, I noticed the price too. It's $290 for one day during the mini nats [Frown] how many sessions do they usually give? I wouldn't mind paying that for 6+ sessions like TMR, but for 4 sessions, I'd have to stick to my original plan of running with NASA at Thill the following weekend [patriot]

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yea, I noticed the price too. It's $290 for one day during the mini nats [Frown] how many sessions do they usually give? I wouldn't mind paying that for 6+ sessions like TMR, but for 4 sessions, I'd have to stick to my original plan of running with NASA at Thill the following weekend [patriot]
I never made it to a mini nats but the OT events you usually get 5-7 sessions on the track

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I never made it to a mini nats but the OT events you usually get 5-7 sessions on the track
That's cool I guess. Hopefully mini nats will have the same amount of sessions. I'm willing to pay (for now!) just as long as I get some seat time [Big Grin]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whether one club or organization is better than another depends on what you're looking for.

Things to consider include:

- Lowest possible entry fee even if it reduces track time.
- Lowest cost per minute of track time.
- A path towards door-to-door race groups.
- Friendly but maybe tight knit club type environment.
- Strict or more open rules in the mid to upper runs groups.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
Whether one club or organization is better than another depends on what you're looking for.

+1

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the Shelby Club is a good place to start but you could get bored quick. It's also geared more towards the older crowd and some very expensive original cars. I also agree that there track time is a little expensive and the the rules tend to be more strict and less passing zones. That is probably due to the nice Shelby's.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:

+1
I totally agree wih you...the lower the cost the better and the more track time the better. I'm not looking to be part of an actual racing "club" at this time but I really just want to get as much seat time as possible. Since they're having their mini nats event in August, I thought it'd be a good idea to become a member in case I end up registering for the event. [patriot]

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
I think the Shelby Club is a good place to start but you could get bored quick. It's also geared more towards the older crowd and some very expensive original cars. I also agree that there track time is a little expensive and the the rules tend to be more strict and less passing zones. That is probably due to the nice Shelby's.

Being that they only have 3 events for 2011, the mini nats being their second of the year, I dont see myself only attending their events. So far I've done NASA and TMR events, both of which were awesome and about $50 per session. I could understand why the shelby club would have stricter rule since they have top dollar cars running, but I think if I end up signing up for the august mini nats I'd enjoy. Shit, each event I've gone to (only three so far) has been a blast and it keeps getting more and more fun! Its either mini nats or NASA @ Thill the following week, but the mini nats fits my schedule a bit better...we'll see once the tie comes though [patriot]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, out of all the clubs, NASA and Shelby Club are the two most expensive if you look at cost per track time.

If you have some flexibility meaning you can run during the week and you don't need formal instruction, you can get 2 to 2 1/2 hours or seat time for around $200. Now that also depends on which track. Laguna is the most expensive. Sears is a close second. Thunderhill can be the cheapest $/minute even if you include a nights stay in a hotel. Buttonwillow entry fees are usually the lowest but it's so far that commute costs and 2 nights of hotel (you might as well make it a weekend) puts it in the Thunderhill price range.

For example, Thunderhill has a track day today. $180 with 3 run groups. You'll get at least six, maybe seven 20 minute sessions. There are other 3 run group events in the $165 to $210 price range (all at Thunderhill). I'm a cheap bastard and running Thunderhill this Monday. $125 for 2 1/2 hours.

[ July 01, 2011, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
Well, out of all the clubs, NASA and Shelby Club are the two most expensive if you look at cost per track time.

If you have some flexibility meaning you can run during the week and you don't need formal instruction, you can get 2 to 2 1/2 hours or seat time for around $200. Now that also depends on which track. Laguna is the most expensive. Sears is a close second. Thunderhill can be the cheapest $/minute even if you include a nights stay in a hotel. Buttonwillow entry fees are usually the lowest but it's so far that commute costs and 2 nights of hotel (you might as well make it a weekend) puts it in the Thunderhill price range.

For example, Thunderhill has a track day today. $180 with 3 run groups. You'll get at least six, maybe seven 20 minute sessions. There are other 3 run group events in the $165 to $210 price range (all at Thunderhill). I'm a cheap bastard and running Thunderhill this Monday. $125 for 2 1/2 hours.

Who ya runnning with on Mon Steve, maybe I'll come out if I can get a trailer in time

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:

That's a deal for sure! I know TMR has the Thill event today for $180 but playing hooky from work doesn't really work in my favor [Big Grin] I guess prime times always result in paying high prices [Frown]

Now, if the director at my work invites me to a weekday event (he runs with NCRC - red Ferrari) I'll definitely go and have him talk to my boss to get the day off [Wink]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

quote:
Who ya runnning with on Mon Steve, maybe I'll come out if I can get a trailer in time
http://www.dwevents.net/

There is a gimmick though. You need to being a second driver in order to get the two for $250 price.

If you run advanced, bring a novice driver. If you run novice. bring an advanced instructor. I don't know if you need an instructor. I'm already signed up and bringing a novice driver. I would have to check if I could get a 3 for $375 type deal. Let me know ASAP if you can go and are ready to sign up. I don't want to try to push Eric for that deal and not have it happen.

[ July 01, 2011, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
quote:
http://www.dwevents.net/

There is a gimmick though. You need to being a second driver in order to get the two for $250 price.

If you run advanced, bring a novice driver. If you run novice. bring an advanced instructor. I don't know if you need an instructor. I'm already signed up and bringing a novice driver. I would have to check if I could get a 3 for $375 type deal. Let me know ASAP if you can go and are ready to sign up. I don't want to try to push Eric for that deal and not have it happen.

NO worries, I'll skip this one as I don't know If I can get a trailer for sure.

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I remember running with the Shelby Club at Infinion raceway for the Mini nats and I was disappointed with the fact that the track sessions were very crowded making the 80 mile per hour laps feel more like a drive through rush hour traffic than a hot lap around a race track. Oh, and the entry fee was expensive.
Another thing about the shelby club is that it is defiantly a club for the older crowd. You wont see any young hotties like you would with an Asian import group so in my book, thats another strike against them.

lastly, If you look hard enough, you can find other organizations with lower entry fees and higher quality track time.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
I remember running with the Shelby Club at Infinion raceway for the Mini nats and I was disappointed with the fact that the track sessions were very crowded making the 80 mile per hour laps feel more like a drive through rush hour traffic than a hot lap around a race track. Oh, and the entry fee was expensive.
Another thing about the shelby club is that it is defiantly a club for the older crowd. You wont see any young hotties like you would with an Asian import group so in my book, thats another strike against them.

lastly, If you look hard enough, you can find other organizations with lower entry fees and higher quality track time.

LOL yeah they are not import idiots who only care about bolt on's NAWsssss and car shows. These guys have MONEY!!!! and DON'T want that shit at their events.

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com