Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » NASA @ Infineon June 12/13!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: NASA @ Infineon June 12/13!
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just seeing who's going to attend NASA at Infineon on June 12/13. I cancelled my Trackmaster's registration since it was $300 and will be using that money towards the NASA weekend instead, which is $179. Anyone else plan to go?

I heard Infineon is a very technical and challenging track so I was hoping you guys can give me some pointers on how to have a successful trackday at this event. Thanks [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i will be there
did you also sign up for the one day all hpde event july 2?

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by acmikee:
i will be there
did you also sign up for the one day all hpde event july 2?

I dont know anything about July 2....is it through NASA?? At infineon?

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes its a NASA one day event at infineon it will probably fill up fast. its all HPDE, TT, and racer testing.
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll be there

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
yes its a NASA one day event at infineon it will probably fill up fast. its all HPDE, TT, and racer testing.

cool,thanks for the info. Not sure if I'll be able to make it that weekend but I'll definitely try! [patriot]

--------------------

SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to try and make July 2nd. I want to break in the new Motor before she see's 2 day of track torture at Thunder hill in August. Should be fun. I'm driving 1st this time. LOL

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SnakeBit:
I'm going to try and make July 2nd. I want to break in the new Motor before she see's 2 day of track torture at Thunder hill in August. Should be fun. I'm driving 1st this time. LOL

Good shit Jay! I'll be there on July 2nd too but I dont think I'll be driving. I signed my dad up for Hyperdrive so he's going to run my car for one session! He's been VERY interested in starting up this whole hpde thing with me ever since
I mentioned it to him so I bought him a ticket for one session so he can try it out.

On a side note...you want to roll with me to infineon on may 28th for the trackmasters event? Im still signed up and figured I might as well do it since I already paid. I'll pick you up earlier in the morning to go with me if you're down...I'd just hate to go up there and not no anyone.

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Get that motor broken in real good before the event, you sure don't want to do it at the track. You had enough towing for a while
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:

Get that motor broken in real good before the event, you sure don't want to do it at the track. You had enough towing for a while
Haha, no doubt. At least I get the tow's for free. AAA is the shit!

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

TTT...anyone else going to to be here?

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

i will be there also july 2.....
S4OSHUS
¯
Member # 2918

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S4OSHUS  Ford pictures for S4OSHUS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'll be there hpde2 on July 2nd also [burnout]

--------------------
2001 audi s4 avant stage 3. 460 whp e85
2001 audi S4 stage 3 sold!
91 lx 347 sold!
90 lx notchback sold!
99 cobra sold!

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Well today was an awesome day at the track! I wish some of you guys would've came out! There were a few pretty slick mustangs out there. There was a bad ass sn197 GR40 car out there, along with some others.

Pretty eventful day for me...I got signed off to be in HPDE2 lol [Big Grin] Luckily I did the TMR event at infineon two weeks ago because it allowed me to learn the line and I just worked on smoothness and speed today. I'm far from fast but the HPDE1/2 group was a damn parking lot. I was deep in the groove on my last session then I got stuck behind a brand new M3 that kept taking off on the straights but was slow as hell in the turns...big party pooper!

Then some guy named Smitty approached me to try and sign up for CMC...I told him i was a total noob though and that it'd be a while before I could even consider getting into any of those race groups.

I also saw four cars in my group spin out and destroy their cars... One incident was so bad that we only got 3 laps in and then were told to get off the track! That sucked balls for sure! It was a waste of my third run...

All in all I had an awesome time (again!) and I can't wait to get back out there! [Whoo Whooooo!]

[ June 11, 2011, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Lol, you met Smitty. He's a good guy though and fun to bs with and a real "backyard" kind of racer.
Well those accidents you speak of are a real wake up call for you and everyone else. People can get to excited and think they know everything and bam, your car is destroyed and you don't know what really happened. I bet the hpde 1 instructors were hella pissed of and lectured you guys really good about all those incidents. That's not what this is about. It's about having fun, making you a better driver and learning etc.
Congrats on hpde2 and keep it up. Did you get the go pro video you wanted?

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Yea Smitty was cool...he said he was watching the whole thing from the top parking lot trying to did people to recruit in CMC lol. I told him to give me a few years to learn how to drive first haha.

The accidents were definitely a wake up call for me at least. One was at turn 4 on the very first lap of our first session...the guy blamed it on "cold tires" hahaha! The biggest/worst one was after turn 7 and coming into turn 8. Someone said his car was leaking oil and he ended up spinning out on his own oil...he then hit the tire wall and his car was fucked! Another one I saw was the last lap of our last session...the miata was coming out of turn 6 onto the straight and lost it...spun out in gravel. All these were in my view so it definitely reminded me to be cautious of the track. The brake Tim hooked me up with worked fantastically once again and had me slowing down really well before the turns. [patriot]

As for the Gopro, yes, I got 3 sessions of video footage. My battery died before my fourth session so I didnt get any footage ( I didn't charge it the night before!). The best footage, from the 3 angles i tried, was when I used the suction mount on the driver quarter window outside the car. It got me in view controlling the wheel and it had a good view of where I was going on the track. It also showed menhow far off/on the apex I was when making a left hand turn.

All in all the an awesome time!!!

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

the guy spinning in turn 7-8 probably didn't spin in his own oil he probably lifted in 7 and spun into the wall in 8.
it was a good weekend are you going to july 2?

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
the guy spinning in turn 7-8 probably didn't spin in his own oil he probably lifted in 7 and spun into the wall in 8.
it was a good weekend are you going to july 2?

That's a possibilty but someone said they saw something coming out from underneath his car...who knows [Confused]

Were you out there? What car were you in? I'll be there July 2 but not sure if I'll be signing up to run.

[ June 12, 2011, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

i drive the red safety truck that was at the drag tower. I also drovethe green factory five cobra but traded it for a 65 fastback mustang transam/ AIX but i have to put a motor in it.....
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
i drive the red safety truck that was at the drag tower. I also drovethe green factory five cobra but traded it for a 65 fastback mustang transam/ AIX but i have to put a motor in it.....

Oh cool...I drove by a couple of those red trucks this weekend [Big Grin] Will you be there on July 2? What car will you be in?

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

yeah i will be there. no car im building a 408 for my 65 mustang
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was out there and rode along with Smitty! I wonder if it is the same Smitty? Anyway, he is cool and it was a blast riding in his car. The HPDE 4 combined with the TT was pretty crazy. They had 76 cars on the track. Someone totalled his Porsche in the 3rd lap and we all had to get off the track, so that session ended quickly. The next session I rode in, which was Saturday's session 3, was better but there were a lot of cars. It was fun. Some guy in a 69 Camaro was flying. He was in the TTU class.

Now I have to figure out how to get my car around the road coarse without spending money on the car and pissing off the wife. I am not sure the instructor for the HPDE 1 event will get in the car with me when he sees 500rwhp under the hood, drag radials on the back, and stock brakes and shocks! I might have to take the ET Street bias ply drag tires off my extra rims and put some street tires on them. I think the Nitto 555r drag radials will work, but I have to at least upgrade my brake pads to some Hawk pads.

All those crashes you are talking about in the HPDE 1/2 is making me nervous though. I can't afford to crash this car. I think it would be fun even if I was taking it easy though. I would probably be like the guy in the M3 that you were complaining about.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
I was out there and rode along with Smitty! I wonder if it is the same Smitty? Anyway, he is cool and it was a blast riding in his car. The HPDE 4 combined with the TT was pretty crazy. They had 76 cars on the track. Someone totalled his Porsche in the 3rd lap and we all had to get off the track, so that session ended quickly. The next session I rode in, which was Saturday's session 3, was better but there were a lot of cars. It was fun. Some guy in a 69 Camaro was flying. He was in the TTU class.

Now I have to figure out how to get my car around the road coarse without spending money on the car and pissing off the wife. I am not sure the instructor for the HPDE 1 event will get in the car with me when he sees 500rwhp under the hood, drag radials on the back, and stock brakes and shocks! I might have to take the ET Street bias ply drag tires off my extra rims and put some street tires on them. I think the Nitto 555r drag radials will work, but I have to at least upgrade my brake pads to some Hawk pads.

All those crashes you are talking about in the HPDE 1/2 is making me nervous though. I can't afford to crash this car. I think it would be fun even if I was taking it easy though. I would probably be like the guy in the M3 that you were complaining about.

Awesome man! It may have been the same Smitty, but the Smitty I was talking to was way up in the top parking lot just watching. He gave me a picture of his car and its a white 94/95 cobra, I think #20. What car was the Smitty you are talking about driving?

I remember seeing that 69 camaro in the paddock. Looked bad ass for sure! I also remember seeing the porsche getting towed into the paddock. That thing was mangled from front to rear! Luckily the driver escaped it uninjured.

If/when you go out there, I'd definitely swap your DR's for street tires. I'm not sure how well or how safe the DR's will be on the track. The side walls may be too soft for hard cornering even at a slow pace. You can also run street brake pads with no issues. I did at my first event at T-hill and they were fine.

From what I heard from many people, Infineon likes to "bite" people if they're not cautious. Just don't push yourself or your car too far and you should be fine! I dont even think about the walls when I'm out there...just drive smart and smoothly and you shouldn't have any issues (but then again I'm a total noob so what do I know [Razz] ).

You definitely have to come out and try it though! July 2nd at Infineon has s "Hyperdrive" event where you pay $50 for a calssroom session, assigned instructor, and one session driving on the tarck. I think this is a perfect opportunity for people like yourslef who have never done an event and want to try it out. You dont need to know any of the rules/flags because the instructor will be in the car with you coaching you through everything. Should be fun!

--------------------

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Different Smitty. He has the white 99 car. It is a 84 Fox all set up with Griggs suspension.

Where do I get the details for the July 2nd event? I would have to do a few things that I don't have time for, so I think it will have to wait a while. $50 sure sounds good though! The HPDE-1 class is where I assumed I would have to start and they require an instructor to ride with you. Hopefully they could help keep me from doing something stupid!

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
Different Smitty. He has the white 99 car. It is a 84 Fox all set up with Griggs suspension.

Where do I get the details for the July 2nd event? I would have to do a few things that I don't have time for, so I think it will have to wait a while. $50 sure sounds good though! The HPDE-1 class is where I assumed I would have to start and they require an instructor to ride with you. Hopefully they could help keep me from doing something stupid!

Oh, yup, different Smitty. I actually just checked the pricing for HyperDrive on July 2nd and it went up to $99...that sucks! You can go to www.nasaproracing.com for info and just sign up for HPDE1. [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com