Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » brake pads for Open Track

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: brake pads for Open Track
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was wondering what pads you guys recommend for open track and street use? I currently have "standard/stock" pads on my 98 cobra with a lot of life left in them but was wondering if I should change them before hitting the track. Would standard street pads be sufficient? Also, would I need to change the front and rear pads or will changing just the fronts be fine?

*side note...I also have SS front brake lines and already flushed out my brake fluid and replaced it with Motul RBF600 fluid. Would you gusy recommend me changing the rear brake lines to SS ones as well?

[ March 30, 2011, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used Hawk HPS pads front and back. They work like a champ. They are not crazy aggressive so they are cool for street use. I went with those because my car will see much more street time vs track time. You can test mine since we have the same break set up to see if you like them.

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SnakeBit:
I used Hawk HPS pads front and back. They work like a champ. They are not crazy aggressive so they are cool for street use. I went with those because my car will see much more street time vs track time. You can test mine since we have the same break set up to see if you like them.

Jay...how do tghose compare to the Hawk HP+ pads? Are the HPS ppads more for street than the HP+?

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HPS are street upgrade pads, fine for occasional use.

if you're going to have dedicated track pads, use HPP or better.

I use Brembo pads, they feel equivilent to the HPP to me, and they were on close out at tirerack about a year or 2 ago for $12/set for cobra brakes, I have quite a few sets of pads to go through LOL.

Your current street pads are perfectly fine for the time being, the Ford OE brake pads are actually really good, I had no problems running them at streets of willow for a track day, never had any fade.

If you do change pads, always change them in sets when you're starting out.

re: the SS rear lines, you won't notice the difference so it's not worth it.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
HPS are street upgrade pads, fine for occasional use.

if you're going to have dedicated track pads, use HPP or better.

I use Brembo pads, they feel equivilent to the HPP to me, and they were on close out at tirerack about a year or 2 ago for $12/set for cobra brakes, I have quite a few sets of pads to go through LOL.

Your current street pads are perfectly fine for the time being, the Ford OE brake pads are actually really good, I had no problems running them at streets of willow for a track day, never had any fade.

If you do change pads, always change them in sets when you're starting out.

re: the SS rear lines, you won't notice the difference so it's not worth it.

I heard about having dedicated track pads...why is this? Do track pads not perform well enough on the streets or do they just cost too damn expensive to waste on the streets [Big Grin] ? WOuld you need dedicated track rotors as well?

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
I heard about having dedicated track pads...why is this? Do track pads not perform well enough on the streets or do they just cost too damn expensive to waste on the streets [Big Grin] ? WOuld you need dedicated track rotors as well?

Track pads make horrible noise when cold, and throw up a ton of brake dust all over the wheels, and they don't work well until they heat up. They also wear out rotors faster.

I just swap pads and have had no problems, I don't think many people swap rotors.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:

Track pads make horrible noise when cold, and throw up a ton of brake dust all over the wheels, and they don't work well until they heat up. They also wear out rotors faster.

I just swap pads and have had no problems, I don't think many people swap rotors.

Thanks for the clarification...so do you swap out your Brembo pads after each track day? Want to sell me a set since you ahve so many? [Big Grin]

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are going to go through the trouble of swapping pads for the track you should also swap the rotors. You need to have fresh or turned rotors and bed the pads to those rotors. Here's a good article about why it should be done, even on street cars.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

Since this is your first time just use what you have. Your not going to be going that fast, you'll be learning the track and learning how your car feels on the track. If at the end of the day you decide that you really like this hobby and can afford to do it frequently then I would get a dedicated set of rotors and pads. Forget the hybrid track/street pads. Just get an entry level race pad. The entry level race pads work much better than the HP+ type pads and there are rotor friendly versions that don't require a lot of heat to work properly.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Thanks for the clarification...so do you swap out your Brembo pads after each track day? Want to sell me a set since you ahve so many? [Big Grin]

On my `97 I do, on my `89 I just run them all the time.

Back off, that stock pile of pads is mine! [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use HPS on my car. It sees 4 or so open track weekends and then mostly daily driven. I have 14 inch fronts and 13 inch rears. no noise and it works great street and track
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
If you are going to go through the trouble of swapping pads for the track you should also swap the rotors. You need to have fresh or turned rotors and bed the pads to those rotors. Here's a good article about why it should be done, even on street cars.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

Since this is your first time just use what you have. Your not going to be going that fast, you'll be learning the track and learning how your car feels on the track. If at the end of the day you decide that you really like this hobby and can afford to do it frequently then I would get a dedicated set of rotors and pads. Forget the hybrid track/street pads. Just get an entry level race pad. The entry level race pads work much better than the HP+ type pads and there are rotor friendly versions that don't require a lot of heat to work properly.

Very good advise here. Now sir you've been talking about going to the track for years now it's time put up or shut up [Big Grin] You got the highest temp brake fluid out there so just go out and learn the line, have fun and get some rides with experienced drivers. Like someone said earlier, then you can decide if you want to pursue the sport further.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

I had no idea you still haven't gone to the track, LOL

you don't need to change anything on your car to go out and do a HPDE day!

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Greg, trust me bro, I've been dying to get out there already but with the new baby and barely any time to even change my damn oil, it's hard [Big Grin]

Blind/sfcoupe, thanks for the info! Much appreciated! Since it'll be my first time out I think my car is ready for the track. But what about coolant? Do I need to flush it for some water/water wetter??

Jay...what hotel are you guys staying at? I might be lugging along the whole family for an overnight stay! My wife said she'll buy me my ticket and even drive our suv so i can pack tools, canopy, etc! [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bring ear muffs for the little one if he/she comes to the track.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
Bring ear muffs for the little one if he/she comes to the track.

[patriot] I doubt they'll be sticking around for too long...they'll probably just drop off my gear and head out somewhere around there. Any shopping areas my wife can kill time at? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:

Blind/sfcoupe, thanks for the info! Much appreciated! Since it'll be my first time out I think my car is ready for the track. But what about coolant? Do I need to flush it for some water/water wetter??

No, if it's full and doesn't give you any problems on the street, don't worry about it.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:

No, if it's full and doesn't give you any problems on the street, don't worry about it.
thanks [patriot]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The biggest difference between race pads and street pads is the operating temperature. Race pads work fine at high temperatures and don't work at low temperatures. Street pads are just the opposite. Within race pads, you can get not so aggressive pads to really aggressive ones. The more aggressive the pad (higher coefficient of friction) the more they grind down the rotors with use.

High temperature fluid is fine but somewhat overkill for a car with street pads. You'll experience high temp brake pad fade before you reach the boiling point of fresh standard brake fluid.

Dedicated rotors is also a bit of overkill. Having a spare set of front rotors is great but leave them in the box to use if you need them. If you stay with the same brand of pad (like Hawk), there's really no need to change rotors.

When you're just starting out, there's isn't too much to worry about. My recommendations:
Much sure all the fluid levels are full.
Street brake pads are fine but you don't want them to be too thin (less than 1/4" per pad). If you completely burn through a pad, the metal rivets that hold the pad to the backing plate will score the rotors.
Run the tires at the recommended pressure or higher. A higher pressure will help stiffen the sidewalls but never go above the max pressure listed on the side of the tire.
Get a proper fitting helmet.
Have fun.

[ March 30, 2011, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use Hawk Blues for track and Hawk HP+ for street. There is a night and day difference between the two, even at lower temps. Get the blues hot with some slicks on and the negative G's will just about make the car somersalt! [Smile]
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com