Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » gears for road racing?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gears for road racing?
mdlrfox8846
¯
Member # 9738

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mdlrfox8846  Ford pictures for mdlrfox8846  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im trying to get into road racing and autoX, i have a 98' Mustang GT (full bolt on with 300 rwhp) with Griggs Racing coil over setup on all four corners. My question is what gears are recomended or what gears are most people runing? thanks
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
really depends on the type of tracks and where your power band is, I liked 3.55's on my 5.0 that rev'd to about 6500, though I settled on 3.73's to get some more punch out of corners.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mdlrfox8846
¯
Member # 9738

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mdlrfox8846  Ford pictures for mdlrfox8846  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alright thanks. i was thinking 3.73 also but i might try some 3.90 i have that came out of my fox see how those feel
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since you got the 2 valve vs. the 4 valve Cobra I'd go with 373's too. Good luck with your car and 300 at the wheels on a 98 gt is real good.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

mdlrfox8846
¯
Member # 9738

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
Since you got the 2 valve vs. the 4 valve Cobra I'd go with 373's too. Good luck with your car and 300 at the wheels on a 98 gt is real good.

yea thanks. It was actually 304 rwhp letting off at 5200 rpm, i have a lean issue after that i dont know why and havent been able to figure it out

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com