Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » rims & tires at the track/street?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: rims & tires at the track/street?
1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What would you guys recommend? I have a 2000 GT that's going to driven on the street as well as on the track. I've seen guys using "stock" Ford rims, Cobras, Salleens, FR's etc.... And a few with aftermarket non-Ford style rims. Rite on.

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would have an extra set of wheels cause its going to get expensive to ride around on dr's all day.and when you go to the track slap the slicks on

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Big block 66 f100:
i would have an extra set of wheels cause its going to get expensive to ride around on dr's all day.and when you go to the track slap the slicks on

What kind of wheels? Ford or Aftermarket?

[patriot]

--------------------

harley56
¯
Member # 6731

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for harley56  Ford pictures for harley56    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can use either. I've been running in this series for quite sometime. Might find some opinions if you search far enough on some of the different aftermarket manufacturers.

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/

Posts: 89 | From: Sonoma county | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've watched cheap wheels break on track so I wouldn't go with knock off "R's" get motorsport wheels imo. since your running a "new edge" mustang you can fit some 18" 2000 R's. I think they look good and are inexpensive and strong.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruhBrahBrad  Ford pictures for BruhBrahBrad  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So when your road racing, you can use a drag radial or no?
1993LX
¯
Member # 8827

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1993LX  Ford pictures for 1993LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No they make road racing tires.

--------------------
1993 Mustang LX Coupe

1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

quote:
Originally posted by Mach 5oh:

I haven't raced yet. I'm just getting started so to speak. I raced AFM and AMA for years, but I got older.... [burnout]

--------------------

510cpskid
¯
Member # 8277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510cpskid  Ford pictures for 510cpskid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mt's for the streets forsure

--------------------
old set up
92 coupe 100 wet nx 410's mickey t's
new set up
?

Wicked Motorsports
¯
Member # 8702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wicked Motorsports  Ford pictures for Wicked Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a set of Toyo RA1 shaved down,P275/40R17
I used them in last years season still have some meat left these will be good for you .They are very wide and sticky perfect for road race or auto X only asking $150/obo let me know

--------------------
92Fobra GT40/E303/BBK/Mac's (sold)
89notch 306HO/TFS1/BBK lt's
89CHP 331/5spd/LT's/LM1's (RIP)
65 331/HCI/TCI trans/SOLD

Posts: 2604 | From: 831salinas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run a set of stock 2000 GT wheels (17x8) with bridgestone re-01r tires when I go to the track.

I've been doing track days about 10-12 times a year for 5 years now, and I still don't feel I've exceeded street tires with my driving ability, I'm consistently top 10 at any event I go to, finishing below the guys running r-comps/slicks, but I don't mind. Even at small autocross layouts like I went to last weekend in Fontana at California Speedway I beat out every street legal Miata there, only 3 of them beat me (barely) and they were not street-legal and all had r-comps [Smile]

I swap wheels/tires for track days because I want the tires to last, I have a year on these and they still look new. I finally got some wear last weekend on the front tires outside edge because I was running a little bit less air pressure than I needed.

-

what I'm trying to say is, you don't need super tires and super light weight wheels to hit the track.

Sure, when I go to r-comp's I'll probably get a set of enkei rpf1 wheels in 17x9, but until then, these are perfect, pretty light, and 245's with a 160 treadwear rating like these potenza's stick GREAT.

Other tires I'd recommend that work for both track and street driving -
dunlop star spec
potenza re11r
nitto nt-05
kumho mx (I think that's the model, whatever their comparative tire to the potenza's are)

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mach 5oh:

people used to use nitto 555r drag radials all the time for autocross, because they warm up fast, and stick really well.

technology has improved, but they're still very competitive tires and better than an all-season type like factory tires on most cars.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
17x9" R58 Cobra R's are the most popular wheel out there for the twisties crowd. They're cheap, light-ish (25 lbs) and strong, considering they were originally developed for the 95 Cobra R. I will pick up another set when I finish my track-car and slap on some Hoosier R6's.
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
17x9" R58 Cobra R's are the most popular wheel out there for the twisties crowd. They're cheap, light-ish (25 lbs) and strong, considering they were originally developed for the 95 Cobra R. I will pick up another set when I finish my track-car and slap on some Hoosier R6's.

What kind of track car are you making? Make, model suspension etc. I love the R6's
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use Konig Villains, 21lbs a piece and $169 each from Maximum Motorsports. Probably the best bang for the buck.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what size rims do you guys run at the track. I know the bigger the rim, the more expensive tires are, but whats "best" as far as handling and stability? I'd think 18's would be better than 17's, 16's, or 15's, but i dont know...what do you guys think?

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

17x8's and 17x9's are the most popular.

tire availability is much less with larger rims.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F1R/GT  Ford pictures for F1R/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Steeda makes an ultra lite rime that's supposed to be good as well as inexpensive. [patriot]

--------------------
sure officer it's stock....

Notch_notch
¯
Member # 8902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch_notch  Ford pictures for Notch_notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you think 03-04 cobra rims will better handling. or 94-95 cobra rims..

--------------------
How many fake accounts does one need? Make a fake account, get the ban. It's in the rules.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

quote:
Originally posted by Notch_notch:
you think 03-04 cobra rims will better handling. or 94-95 cobra rims..

03 Cobra's are 1" wider so they will do better on track. 275/40 would be a good choice for those.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

CobraChick
¯
Member # 9885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraChick  Ford pictures for CobraChick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use stock cobra rims with Nitto 555 tires and they work great!

--------------------
Behind ever successful person is a pack of haters.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com