Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » What will it take for a 88 Coupe to do .90g force??????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What will it take for a 88 Coupe to do .90g force??????
Bigchelis
¯
Member # 5941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bigchelis  Ford pictures for Bigchelis    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would like to know what will it take to get a Mustang 88 Coupe to do on a skid pad = G-force test:

- .90g

- .95g

- 1 G force????

Any article references would be appreciated.

Thank you,
bigchelis

Posts: 161 | From: San Jose,Ca | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Ken
¯
Member # 9328

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken  Ford pictures for Ken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Invest in Griggs Racing suspension and the biggest set of Toyo RA1's you can find.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GR40Freak#play/uploads/6/3rrwkAkkLOs

Granted, this video is of a 98 not 88. But the components work the same on just about any Mustang built. They have built a ton of AIX champion cars that pull well over a G. The video above has a lateral G meter in the bottom left corner, by the way. Good luck.

Ken

--------------------
08 Shelby GT #1292
05 F-150 STX
66 Mustang 2+2

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd worry most about going to 5 lug cobra brakes and stiffening the chassis first if you want to carry that much speed.

it really doesn't take much, I have basic mods from MM on both of my cars and I can beat up on a lot of cars at the track. The best mod is the driver mod.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Bigchelis
¯
Member # 5941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bigchelis  Ford pictures for Bigchelis    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drove a 2005 Vortec Supercharged Porsche 911 C4 for a test drive and thought, If only my Coupe could take turns like this.

Is it possible to get .90 to .95g force for under a 1k dollars??????

What are the suspension upgrades typically done to do so.

I never purchased things for sharp turning mustangs most of us are 1/4 mile nuts..

Thank you,
Jose

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Under a $1000? Not likely. The tires alone would be $1K or more. And then you would still be stuck with the horrendous stock mustang suspension. There is no cheap way to make a mustang stop and turn well. Anyone who tells you there is doesn't know what the hell they are talking about or has never driven on the track. Talk to Griggs racing or go to the maximum motorsports website to learn about making a mustang turn and stop well.
Bigchelis
¯
Member # 5941

quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
Under a $1000? Not likely. The tires alone would be $1K or more. And then you would still be stuck with the horrendous stock mustang suspension. There is no cheap way to make a mustang stop and turn well. Anyone who tells you there is doesn't know what the hell they are talking about or has never driven on the track. Talk to Griggs racing or go to the maximum motorsports website to learn about making a mustang turn and stop well.

I like your honest approach. I looked at Griggs and it seems 5k in suspension parts is the starting rate. Additionally; I would need tires, brakes, and the appropriate gears.

Do you have any video or magazine links where I can read about coupes going to the G-force side with nominal upgrades. I keep getting super modified ones that a certain shop or racing organization owns. I want to read about the average Jose doing it.

Thanks,
bigchelis

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maximum motorsports makes a decent product, Griggs is hands down the best suspension on the market for a late model mustang, if you would like to talk to a professional about this give Mike a call over at Maier Racing.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Read the parts descriptions on the maximum motorsports site. There is a wealth of information there and it's the same basic concept as griggs design. You must change the suspension geometry of a mustang in order for it to have good corner grip. I'm a weekend warrior and I'm certain my car pulls more than 1g, but it has a lot of suspension parts and chassis tuning. I've open tracked a mustang with just stiffer springs and upgraded shocks. Yes it did handle a little better but not much. The poor suspension geometry reared its ugly head very quickly.
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Start with a good set of wide tires mounted on some good wheels... your tires are the only part of your car that actually touch the ground, so don't go cheap and expect the $5k suspension to pick up the slack... Toyo's are good, Yokohama's and Bridgestone are also nice. I personally like Nitto... I'm rocking the Invo's now, 255/35 up front and 265/35 out back... good tire for the price, and definitely a streetable everyday tire with a good treadwear rating. I dunno about you, but i'm not trying to buy tires every other month.

the most extreme i'd go for your goal, if your car is a daily, is probably the Nitto Invo, Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08, or even the Continenntal ContiSport Contact 3...

if your budget is a little tighter, the Yokohama ADVAN Sports are awesome, the Nitto NT555's, Hankook makes a few decent models at a good price. and Kumho isn't too bad in a pinch. I had the Kumho SPT's on my 97 GT... they got me by, but the ContiExtremeContact's from Contennental that were on the car when i bought it were waaayyy better...

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
lilowhit
¯
Member # 8306

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilowhit  Ford pictures for lilowhit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do your homework with reputable shops like Maier Racing, Griggs Racing and MM. Once your do that I would suggest going on some hot lap rides with Griggs so you know what to expect after you spend your dough. After you invest your 5-6k keep another 1-2k or 2500 for the labor and setup. Read How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Pugh and do as much as you can on the install before you go to the shop. Get involved with it and learn what your buying as well as how to install it. After that look me up and we can go hunt down some european rides and see what we are made of. It may be easier to buy pieces at a time instead of all at once. It took me two years to buy my GR-40 for my 85 but it was well worth the wait.
94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuck the suspention i want that 98's engine that thing sounds badddddd [worship] [worship]

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wonder if anyone lost it over that cliff at 1:37 2:13 that would not be good [Frown]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com