Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » How to start??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How to start??
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am really interested in Auto cross racing / trackdays but dont know where to start. I know with motorcycles, you just buy a ticket and go, but with cars do you have to be in a club?

Also, what are some "essential" suspension mods that you think a car should have before going to the track?

Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sticky tires are the single biggest improvement you can make!

I will hopefully be attending my fist track day next month with NASA. Look them up the have High Performance Driving Events (HPDE) and since it isn't timed your insurance should cover you just in case something goes wrong.

Wish you luck and have fun!

Eric

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any other mods that you feel are "necessary"?

--------------------

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Helmet, And as your budget allows springs, CC plates, panhard bar, upper lower controll arms for the rear, better engine ie. heads cam intake, Just depends on what you are in it for. Hands down tires will make the biggest difference in handling so I recomend starting there,

Eric

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GOT 50:
since it isn't timed your insurance should cover you just in case something goes wrong.

That depends on the insurance company. Allstate for example, will not cover any damage 'while the vehicle is used on a course designed for racing' and has nothing to do with a timed event or not.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWayzSix:
I am really interested in Auto cross racing / trackdays but dont know where to start. I know with motorcycles, you just buy a ticket and go, but with cars do you have to be in a club?

Also, what are some "essential" suspension mods that you think a car should have before going to the track?

Thanks!

The only things I would put on a car before a first track day is different brake pads, a helmet on your head, and go over everything on the car with a good mechanic so you know it's all in good shape, especially the cooling system and all of the suspension parts.

www.redlinetrackevents.com
www.speedventures.com
www.scca.org
www.americanauto-x.com

those are the sites to check out, but not everything is listed on those sites.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I totally agree with blind. Brakes are numero uno so get some good brake pads. You should have at least some decent street tires as you will find out you need more tire soon. See if you like it and want to pursue it further and then start upgrading suspension etc. etc. Good luck!

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

What are some good/decent tires for the track? I know Michelin is the best for motorcycle tires, but what about cars?

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kumho MX are a good street tire for the track.
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had a lot of fun with tthe Kuhmos V700 Victorracer. They are very streetable but more oriented towards track days So you can drive to and from the track on them which is nice. I went through a couple sets of them until I went to a really sticky tire and am trailering the car now.

--------------------

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brakes Brakes Brakes Brakes Brakes Brakes Brakes

Don't worry about anything else until you have a few track events under your belt. Sticky tires are nice, but loud screeching street tires are better when you're just starting out as they will lose grip at slower speeds. If you lose grip on a race style tire, you'll be going faster and will find yourself in the dirt pretty quick and maybe into a wall.

Also be warned about the addiction, turning corners at speed gives you a thrill like none other. I have never been back to a drag strip since I started open tracking.

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dpracingdan  Ford pictures for dpracingdan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
Brakes Brakes Brakes Brakes Brakes Brakes Brakes

Don't worry about anything else until you have a few track events under your belt. Sticky tires are nice, but loud screeching street tires are better when you're just starting out as they will lose grip at slower speeds. If you lose grip on a race style tire, you'll be going faster and will find yourself in the dirt pretty quick and maybe into a wall.

Also be warned about the addiction, turning corners at speed gives you a thrill like none other. I have never been back to a drag strip since I started open tracking.

I am 100% in agreeance with Wolfie- road racing/track days are a serious crack-type addiction. Soon you'll be skipping meals, sleep, etc just to save to do your next track day. Also agree, get some good brake pads (hawks) and dont worry about the rest til later.
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
coilovers!

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

How much are trackdays and do they host them on weekends??

I've always wanted to do a trackday on my bike, but I never had time because they were always usually on the weekdays [Frown]

Also, what is a good shock and sring combo that is streetable but hugs the road at the track?

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWayzSix:
How much are trackdays and do they host them on weekends??

I've always wanted to do a trackday on my bike, but I never had time because they were always usually on the weekdays [Frown]

Also, what is a good shock and sring combo that is streetable but hugs the road at the track?

check out the links I posted for prices and dates, there are lots of track days on weekends, usually bet on $200 a day.

you really don't need to worry about shocks/springs yet, but a good combo is bilsteins with H&R's, I run bilsteins with ford racing 'b' springs and the combo is very good, but I can't wait to swap them out for coil overs.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nor Cal shelby club

http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/otcentrl.htm

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dpracingdan  Ford pictures for dpracingdan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.nasaproracing.com/schedules/norcal2008.html

National Auto Sport Assoc aka NASA.
$300 for a weekend, 4 sessions per day, 8 per weekend. $179/day. Great instructors, nice folks, plus you get to see races too.

I've been racing with this group for 5 years, great bunch of people.

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Anybody willing ot meet up with me in July at a NASA HPDE event to kinda show me the ropes?

Thanks in advance

Eric

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Show you the ropes. You mean show you the curves right

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GOT 50:
Anybody willing ot meet up with me in July at a NASA HPDE event to kinda show me the ropes?

Thanks in advance

Eric

There is no July NASA event, but I'll be at Thunderhill in early June and Infineon late June. Stop by if you have any questions. White 1990 coupe #5.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com