Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Mustangs Having Tough Time Staying on Track

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mustangs Having Tough Time Staying on Track
WILDTHANG
¯
Member # 4441

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for WILDTHANG  Ford pictures for WILDTHANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone recognize these guys? The silver Cobra looks familiar. I was looking at some picks on GotBlueMilk of the last HOD event. A couple good two feet in shots. I was just wondering what happened(besides the obvious)?

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -  -

[ February 07, 2006, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: WILDTHANG ]

--------------------
07 GT500
66 Drop

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haha yep that was my buddy Kevin in his '03 cobra getting a little carried away. I missed that event.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya looks like both over cooked it. OOOOOPPS.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What?? A mustang over cook a corner, can't happen. [Smile] I love those pictures. I can totally relate to them. Just a little too much gas (of course a littel too much was anything more than touching the pedal) in the Cobra around the corner and the tires are free. The good ole' days.

I am going to have to rent an 05 and take it out to see how they handle at Thunderhill. Hmmm.. I think I saw a GT at an Eterprise not too long ago. I will have to double check that. [Big Grin]

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

WILDTHANG
¯
Member # 4441

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for WILDTHANG  Ford pictures for WILDTHANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You know the funny thing is, both cars had instructors in the passenger seats. Some times too much talking and feedback can keep you from focusing. I was just wondering if this was the case or maybe the instructor telling them to try a different line. My 1st time around Thill I took an instructor with me to give me some feedback on the track. The guy accually grabbed the wheel from the passenger seat while I was on track to force me into a line. I thought this was very strange and not very smart. I told the guy to let go and that he could use his words instead! Just wondering if something similar could have happened there?

--------------------
07 GT500
66 Drop

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You know that happened to me when I was at Reno the first time. I told the instructor not to ever touch my wheel again, jerking it out of my hands could only cuase us to loose control. After that, they didn't try to grab it again.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cooked corners [burnout]
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
You know that happened to me when I was at Reno the first time. I told the instructor not to ever touch my wheel again, jerking it out of my hands could only cuase us to loose control. After that, they didn't try to grab it again.

wait
you were driving and he grabbed the wheel? if that was me no words would have been said, just repeated fist to sack contact.
grab the wheel, thats beyond retarded

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
1986 t top gt - parted out and sold!
on the hunt for another

Posts: 1023 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
Originally posted by t top freak:
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:

wait
you were driving and he grabbed the wheel? if that was me no words would have been said, just repeated fist to sack contact.
grab the wheel, thats beyond retarded

Some schools and instructors believe the best way to show the driver the correct line is to show them. I was asked by another instructor once if it was ok and I said no. But this one she just reached over and tried to move the wheel. Big thing I also explained to her, she races a miata, not a heavy stang. We have different driving lines then they do. This was also 3 years ago. It might be different now.

I know I am working on the qualifictaions to be an official instructor, and the guy I have been working with, I never grabbed his steering wheel. I think there is too many possibilities to make the situation really bad if you do. It's better to talk and discuss, even pointing gestures works better.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

THE PUNISHER
¯
Member # 4333

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for THE PUNISHER  Ford pictures for THE PUNISHER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lkht; [k;lfkhp g;sfhm a
sh s;pks]rthjpko[th lrk[s[\ph ;lk;sd;m;mkjiouhf kjb;odjhuiogu kjhfgoudhfogh oaehfgohutrnb;o kjhuiohoujho;psefghksdfuhg jhk;lfuihiouhse kjhfbnkldjhbfkthnn dufjh iohfg kjnbbvherfgh jhnkldfhg kh gkjjdnbvdfv kj gkdaufgndaf kjhfiuklefd kdasfi f kjikljhfvkl kdjfgkadsfg dsfhgkldbfkladf kf hgakldsf hg adfgkjnbgv klasidfhgrnbgf klskhgvoowareuh g lkS asgiasu awdkgf ask adjhksjdnvcurejhfk kf iuhf that what Ithing

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I was at Bondurant, the instructor grabbed my wheel on many occasions. Very disconserting at first, but not after a bit of trust developed. It also helped that I wasn't driving my own car either!

A LOT of Mustang owners would learn quite a bit if they followed a Miata for a few laps. They are one of the best cars to learn how to correctly drive a road course because you can't rely on horsepower for exit speed if you take a corner wrong. I would treat a Miata owner's line advice as gold. Not that I would ever buy one though, Mustangs are a helluva lot more fun!

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool pics. Looks like those guys are having fun! [Big Grin]
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the best driving instructer I ever had was one who did no speaking while we were driving, only spoke during the debriefing.

While we were driving, he only used a few very comprehensible hand motions using both hands to signal when to turn in, brake, and when to let the car settle. It was a little awkward because I found myself watching and waiting for his signals out of my periferal vision instead of learning when to do it myself, but he was a great instructor, I recomend those methods.

if an instructor grabbed my wheel, I would let them do their thing, then as soon as possible, safely and calmly pull off course and stop, look them square in the eye and say, "that is NOT ok."

--------------------
04 GT

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WILDTHANG:
 -

dont let any of the poor-sha airheads see this [Razz]

no offense, my dad drives a porsche and I love them to death, but some drivers have the tendency to believe they are "ultimate"

--------------------
04 GT

Kevin Booth
Member # 6582

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Booth  Ford pictures for Kevin Booth    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The silver '03 is mine and I was driving! It's a very heavily modified open track Cobra (full Griggs, Stoptech, coilovers etc., 450 rwhp -- you name it it's on it) that's a beast on the track. No one else grabbed the wheel....all my fault! The instructor was certainly encouraging me to push it hard (beyond 7/10ths), but I was driving. There are always factors that contribute though: cold morning and cold tires (18" Nitto 555r2s), the red Porsche was way off line and had to decelerate much more than I thought he would to stay on course. I ended up with 4 flat spotted tires, dirty car, and a short day. You learn from everything! Better in the dirt than in the wall....right!?
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Yep. At least you know what you did wrong. Worst is when people do that and have no clue! [Eek!]

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com