Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » track wheels

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: track wheels
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I really want to get a set of track wheels and tires to swap on so I can track my street car and still have my tires last.

What I am asking of you guys, is if you have any recommendations for sizes or shopping methods or whether or not I am wasting my time...

I hardly have enough money to afford a track day at this point, so can I get a hold of some track wheels for 4 or 5 hundred? or is that unrealistic?

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

--------------------
04 GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
set of 17" takeoff used rims are pretty cheap, thats all you really need for a set of track wheels.

the tires you put on them will make 1000x the difference of the kind of rims you use.

I say 17" because thats the minimum rim size you'll need for the cobra brake rotors that I'm sure you'll get down the road once you get serious [patriot]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
boy how did you know?!

yeah I have been looking at them...

but what do you mean by takeoff rims? like when people get new wheels, what they do with the stock ones?

--------------------
04 GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Spitfiremk24:
boy how did you know?!

yeah I have been looking at them...

but what do you mean by takeoff rims? like when people get new wheels, what they do with the stock ones?

yes just a cheap set of crappy stock 17" mustang wheels

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

quote:
Originally posted by blind:

the tires you put on them will make 1000x the difference of the kind of rims you use.

and what do you mean by this?
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It means the rims don't matter as much as the tire you put on them. Get a Good Track tire, and slap them on a cheap rim. I would look for a cheap knock off 17x9 R's or something like that. On your car, your track tires you most likely should run would be 17x9's front and rear, so you can rotate front to back, get more use out of them, with a 275/40/17.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

275s fit on 9s? hmm..

and you do not recommend getting used tires?

how long can you expect the less expensive track tires to last?

--------------------
04 GT

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, example. Most track tires cost less then street tires. Go figure. Yes 275's fit perfect on a 9" rim You want no sidewall buldge. This turns into tire rollover. Creating a push feeling in the car. Very bad. I run the Nitto 555 RII's on my car. We purchased them new, and had them heat cycled before mounting. Make sure you buy heat cycled tires. They will last longer. Getting uncycled tires, are good if you plan to use the all up in one day. They will be a bit softer and more sticky, but they will wear really fast.

Tires I would reccomend would be the Nitto 555 RII, the Nitto NT-01, the Toyo RA-1, Or the Kumho Vitoracer, BFG R1. Until you hit a level where you can handle the charactoristics of a race tire, you do not need a slick for tracking. Slicks or cheater slicks like the Hoosiers, or Avon's do give you more grip, but when they give, the car will tend to have a much more violent break, where it will snap around with little to no warning. Unless you can handle a car in this circumstance, you don't want to put yourself in that situation. It can be very dangerous. Running a good DOT Track tire, like the forelisted ones, give you less notice then a street tire, but more then what the slicks do. Its a good middle ground. Plus alot of groups, won't let you run slicks unless you are in certain levels, or classes. Typical DOT track tire runs $130-$200 in a 17" size. 18"s don't even bother. Anymore info needed?

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

hmm I was hoping to do this the cheap way... used tires- definately out of the question? or maybe a possibility?

I guess there is no "cheap way" for road racing, eh?

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

You could get used tires, but look for a few things. On the sidewalls there are wear marker arrows. Make sure they are still there. Make sure the edge wear the tread is worn is not blue (this is a sign of overheating the rubber), and get ones with as much tread as possible. Typical full tire is 6-7mm depth, don't buy anying under 3 used. They will most likrly be hard at that point.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with most of what Jon says. I have never used the Nittos, but I know people that have and like them. I don't like Kumhos, but others do. Just my opinion.
Toyo RA-1s are awesome.
The big problem with used tires is the heat cycle issue. Some tires handle multiple cycles better than others, but they do still lose grip each time they're used. The old Goodyear and Hoosier DOT tires were good examples. You could run them 2 or three times and they're awesome, everytime after that, they just get slower and slower even though theere is plenty of rubber left. Toyos, like all race tires, are faster on they first run, but they drop off so gradually as to be almost unnoticeable.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would stay away from used tires. They are not usually worht the cash. At least when you get new tires, you can get a good idea of how long they really last. You will start to feel them drop off after a few weekends and you can adjust you driving accordingly. I would go with teh V700 Victo racers if you are doing OT events and not too serious. Otherwise the the V710's.

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

so does everyone generally agree that THE cheapest wheels out there are (besides stealing) the stock ones that people get rid of?

--------------------
04 GT

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Spitfiremk24:
so does everyone generally agree that THE cheapest wheels out there are (besides stealing) the stock ones that people get rid of?

Used is the best way to go. 17X9 would be ther best but I was running Stock class in SCCA and picked up a set of 99 GT wheels for dirt cheap. They are one of the lightest out there for the 17x8. Get non Chrome if you can. That just adds unsprung wieght.

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say save your money and just use street tires for now. I've run several open track events and have never purchased any dedicated track tires (yet). If you're in a real race, of course you want the best tire you can afford. But if you're doing an open track event, you're just out there to have fun and get better at driving. As you improve your skills, you'll be better able to handle the higher lap speeds you'll get with track tires.

Brakes should be your #1 concern though. I fried a brand new set of Hawk rear pads using stock brakes in my '01 during just one 20 min track session.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
I say save your money and just use street tires for now. I've run several open track events and have never purchased any dedicated track tires (yet). If you're in a real race, of course you want the best tire you can afford. But if you're doing an open track event, you're just out there to have fun and get better at driving. As you improve your skills, you'll be better able to handle the higher lap speeds you'll get with track tires.

Brakes should be your #1 concern though. I fried a brand new set of Hawk rear pads using stock brakes in my '01 during just one 20 min track session.

Which hawk pads are you using???? I have been running HP+ pads on the rear cobra calipers, on my car, and have 8 weekends of track use on them. Still have pad.
[Confused]

I use alot more front brakes up. I would always say a min. of an HP+ front pad. If more serious, go into Blacks, or Blue. HT-10 for track only car. And probably the same for the Blues.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
quote:

Which hawk pads are you using???? I have been running HP+ pads on the rear cobra calipers, on my car, and have 8 weekends of track use on them. Still have pad.
[Confused]

I use alot more front brakes up. I would always say a min. of an HP+ front pad. If more serious, go into Blacks, or Blue. HT-10 for track only car. And probably the same for the Blues.

This was on my '01 Saleen that had stock rear brakes which are non vented. My '85 had a blown head gasket so I had to use my Saleen at the last minute. I used HPS pads on the front and HPS+ on the rear to help offset the added heat the rears would make. But, it didn't help.

The original poster here has an '04 GT in his signature so he will be in the same boat if he decides to do a track event with stock GT brakes.

Eight weekends on the same pads?? Either I ride my brakes too much or you coast on the straights [Big Grin]

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
quote:

[Confused]

This was on my '01 Saleen that had stock rear brakes which are non vented. My '85 had a blown head gasket so I had to use my Saleen at the last minute. I used HPS pads on the front and HPS+ on the rear to help offset the added heat the rears would make. But, it didn't help.

The original poster here has an '04 GT in his signature so he will be in the same boat if he decides to do a track event with stock GT brakes.

Eight weekends on the same pads?? Either I ride my brakes too much or you coast on the straights [Big Grin]

Ya the stock GT rears would probably burn up pads, and likely warp the rotors too.

Ya I just trust my car alot that it will stick when I need it to. I learned that I can scrub alot of speed fast with a quick jab rather then ride or feather them. I think I just have a lack of HP problem, so I don't fry them as quickly. [Frown]

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com